Indian Army: News and Discussion

WolfPack86

Country flag
DEFENCE MINISTER TO ATTEND DIAMOND JUBILEE CONCLAVE OF CHETAK HELICOPTER
Medchal:
To commemorate the momentous events of the completion of 60 years of the Chetak helicopter in the Indian Armed Forces, a conclave would be organized by Indian Air Force on April 2, informed the Defence Ministry on Wednesday. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh will be the Chief Guest on the occasion.

The conclave is titled yshsvt ptt dshkm' (Magnificent six decades).

The conclave, scheduled at the National Industrial Security Academy Convention Centre, Secunderabad will be attended by the three Service Chiefs, veterans and serving officers of the Helicopter stream from the three services and officials of the Ministry of Defence (MoD), Indian Coast Guard and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited.

"It will be an honour to host our Raksha Mantri. This conclave marks the 60th year of induction of Chetak Helicopter into the Air force. Chetak Helicopter was inducted into the Air force in 1962. Today, it completes 60 years of operations not only in the Air force but also in all three services. It operates in all terrains be it Siachen glaciers or desserts or seas," said Air Commodore Manish Sabharwal, VSM, Air officer commanding, Hakimpet.

The conclave intends to provide a platform to showcase six decades of helicopter operations in the country, highlighting Chetak helicopter operations in particular. This event highlight will involve reflections, narrations and discussions by prominent speakers from the veteran community and the Services. Deliverables to the audience would also include perspectives on the evolution of helicopter operations as driven by technology and future battlefield imperatives.

SGOperative

Country flag

Please don't shoot the messenger
I dont really support this cutting the force logic. Looking at the current threat level, we shall be maintaining the current size. During the tensions with China we stationed thousands of extra troops there, you will need a decent backup fulltime troops who can be rotated at any possible time. Also the logic of cutting the force was seen in western countries sometime back when the only war they were fighting was Gwot. Now the tensions are rising again they might look in different direction.

pipebomb

Country flag
I dont really support this cutting the force logic. Looking at the current threat level, we shall be maintaining the current size. During the tensions with China we stationed thousands of extra troops there, you will need a decent backup fulltime troops who can be rotated at any possible time. Also the logic of cutting the force was seen in western countries sometime back when the only war they were fighting was Gwot. Now the tensions are rising again they might look in different direction.
Thanks for atleast reading the article, we all don't have to be in agreement with the whole of it. IMHO there is no other way to free up capex for capability improvement.

SGOperative

Country flag
Thanks for atleast reading the article, we all don't have to be in agreement with the whole of it. IMHO there is no other way to free up capex for capability improvement.
Compromises are to be made somewhere, If we are able to find the right balance then we are all set.

JConline

Country flag
I feel like I'm gonna get a lot of heat for this, but there's a very clear difference in the Indian and US personnel. If you watch the video clearly, the Indians have a habit of fixating on the target as soon as they spot it. Whereas the Americans pay scam the whole room before fixating on a target. Allowing for a lot more awareness of the AO.

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag
i dont think it would be easy to recruit for the western govs now due to their social demographics and economic setup and any increase in troop nos will be much more expensive and harder than in previous generations.

they will have to offer much better packages and their govs are not setup to ramp up defence so fast.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag
My theory may be Army should go with Thar 5 door model or Gurkha 5 door model. Both of them in testing phase now. Again they need to evaluate it.

Compared to Gypsy with its puny engine. The Mahindra one has 150 HP engine while Force motors should bring back its 140 Hp engine. Current Gurkha uses the 90 HP engine.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles