Indian Army: News and Discussion

SGOperative

Country flag
One Important aspect that nobody is talking about is the entire structure of Infantry regiments in the Indian Army.

The regimental system made by the British using the vague "Martial Race" ideology should have been binned right at the time of independence itself.Unfortunately we are still continuing with this British legacy 75 years after independence.

We need mixed regiments like Brigade of guards rather than caste or ethnic regiments.
if you ask me it helps with communication among troops since they are from one are where they speak local language so they can easily communicate and the burden of learning a new language will be on the officer only

Sigmamale101

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
One Important aspect that nobody is talking about is the entire structure of Infantry regiments in the Indian Army.

The regimental system made by the British using the vague "Martial Race" ideology should have been binned right at the time of independence itself.Unfortunately we are still continuing with this British legacy 75 years after independence.

We need mixed regiments like Brigade of guards rather than caste or ethnic regiments.
Keep seething caste ethnic regiments are here to stay.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Mere state ka alag hi chal raha he BC. One of the greatest empires of Bharat only providing 14 officers per 10 lakhs of population is heart-breaking.😭😭
Since there is no internal battle in india army is only required at borders so naturally people of border states are participating more. They can remain near their homeland even while serving actively. But for central and southern states army is a far away job so most of them avoid if unless specially driven or desperate.

Nothing to worry about.

angryIndian

Country flag
if you ask me it helps with communication among troops since they are from one are where they speak local language so they can easily communicate and the burden of learning a new language will be on the officer only
Disproportionate representation of certain ethnic or caste groups is never a good thing.It defeats the purpose of societal integration which is vital for multiethnic country like India.

Also it's not that a soldier who comes from a region will be posted in in the same region.He will have to move along with his unit wherever they get deployed.

So a homogenous military unit will face a lot of issues if they deployed in regions that is culturally and linguistically vastly different.

SGOperative

Country flag
Disproportionate representation of certain ethnic or caste groups is never a good thing.It defeats the purpose of societal integration which is vital for multiethnic country like India.

Also it's not that a soldier who comes from a region will be posted in in the same region.He will have to move along with his unit wherever they get deployed.

So a homogenous military unit will face a lot of issues if they deployed in regions that is culturally and linguistically vastly different.
What about the communication b/w soldiers learning language is much tougher than learning culture

angryIndian

Country flag
What about the communication b/w soldiers learning language is much tougher than learning culture
Today many Indians can at least understand either hindi or english and speak to some extent.
Incidentally language is not a barrier in Airforce,Navy,Paramilitary or Central Armed police force where there is no caste or ethnic based units,why should it be in the Army ?

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Today many Indians can at least understand either hindi or english and speak to some extent.
Incidentally language is not a barrier in Airforce,Navy,Paramilitary or Central Armed police force where there is no caste or ethnic based units,why should it be in the Army ?
It's just a practice of past. Would require sheer will on part of army to let go of its old system, ethics and workings. Not really necessary for modern India but as you know, IA has always been very traditional and as such has been very avert to changes. I would personally prefer regiments like grenadiers free from such old practices. There is really no defense for the old system but then again people would still defend it coz in india people especially find fictional bravados in caste and religions. By the way, I am not really that much religious though believes in God and as such find these human constructs such as castes and religions totally illogical and comical on the base of human stupidity.
I think just changing the names of regmts while retaining their past history makes sense. It's a delicate topic which needs careful solution so that cohesion and moral of regmts doesn't decrease.

Last edited:

SGOperative

Country flag
It's just a practice of past. Would require sheer will on part of army to let go of its old system, ethics and workings. Not really necessary for modern India but as you know, IA has always been very traditional and as such has been very avert to changes. I would personally prefer regiments like grenadiers free from such old practices. There is really no defense for the old system but then again people would still defend it coz in india people especially find fictional bravados in caste and religions. By the way, I am not really that much religious though believes in God and as such find these human constructs such as castes and religions totally illogical and comical on the base of human stupidity.
I think just changing the names of regmts while retaining their past history makes sense. It's a delicate topic which needs careful solution so that cohesion and moral of regmts doesn't decrease.
If you think changing structure of a organisation which has 1+ mn men and women should be a priority and is easy then cant be helped

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
If you think changing structure of a organisation which has 1+ mn men and women should be a priority and is easy then cant be helped
Well Indian armed forces are indeed reorganising themselves from theatrisation to much more changes are happening which seemed really hard not far in past but they are happening now. I mean you can either try or well as I said in my previous post, changes in classic orgs are hard. Hard yes but impossible no. Who said priority but yeah I do support such a change even if far term goal. Nothing like an immovable mountain. Just hard political will is needed.

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
So exactly not the T-14 but customised acc to our need. Not clear to me if Russia says integration of European or American counterparts are allowed. Or , a T-90 variant with Armata technology ?
I wish this shit doesn't enter our army
Our mod officials should work on pushing ngmbt into army's throat

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
I wish this shit doesn't enter our army
Our mod officials should work on pushing ngmbt into army's throat
Meanwhile army salivating :drool: over degraded armata on offer with much inferior cannon and armour package. Ruskies will offer you moon while delivering dust outside IA offices. Army Wale aur uni maya ko tog bas bhagwan hi samajh skte h. If armata comes then we can kiss Indian armoured vehicles ecosystem goodbye for next 50 yrs.

Covfefe

Country flag
Meanwhile army salivating :drool: over degraded armata on offer with much inferior cannon and armour package. Ruskies will offer you moon while delivering dust outside IA offices. Army Wale aur uni maya ko tog bas bhagwan hi samajh skte h. If armata comes then we can kiss Indian armoured vehicles ecosystem goodbye for next 50 yrs.
Not just initial purchase, we'll be stuck for every minor and major upgrade as our adversaries upgrade, and spares 😖
Aur phir paise Kam padenge

Vinod DX9

Country flag
Every offer has to meet the criteria specified by the user. If Russia has to offer T-14 to Indian Army no way it can be downgraded. Infact, some more features have to added to meet the specifications by Indian Army. I'm not sure how they can maintain the weight. Indian Army , though hasn't specified the weight of FRCV , clearly desires a medium weight tank, which can be said will be an around 55T platform. To meet specifically this, might be a variant of T-90 based on T-90M using T-14 technology is offered? T-90M itself is a fantastic platform, and be sure in near future Indian T-90S will be modernized to T-90AM level .

Last edited:

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Every offer has to meet the criteria specified by the user. If Russia has to offer T-14 to Indian Army no way it can be downgraded. Infact, some more features have to added to meet the specifications by Indian Army. I'm not sure how they can maintain the weight. Indian Army , though hasn't specified the weight of FRCV , clearly desires an around 55T platform. To meet specifically this, might be a variant of T-90 based on T-90M using T-14 technology is offered? T-90M itself is a fantastic platform, and be sure in near future Indian T-90S will be modernized to T-90AM level .
Past experiences with Russians equipments have not been really that good. IAF has already moved to western platforms, IA is expected to follow the same in future probably. Come again when was the last successful mass purchase of major platforms through rfi/rfp route?? SU 30MKI, T90 and other deals with Rus has been G TO G basis.
Either it's through direct purchase or seeing past patterns it's well enough clear that ruski equipment don't really stand much chances in competition based tenders. K9 was selected over masta arty, that is a good indicator that Russian equipments are now not favoured as it was in past.
I personally support indigenous equipments and thinking about t14 armata when ngmbt/FMBT is in development is pure Haram. Atmost foreign support can be asked where required.
First it was with new diesel submarine to be developed with India and now it's with this new tank developed with India. We know both are not gonna get selected.

Sigmamale101

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
If certain ethinc or caste groups are just physically & mentally better than others than you can't do s**t about it. Let say if you pit 10 marad paratha bheemta against a conservative Rajput from village on physical parameters alone, who do you think will win ? My money is on a Rajput. 20th century reservation, history forging , MS paint skill doesn't give one balls.
homogeneous military units works fine much better i would say. They are better at coordination & there is a sense of brotherhood.

angryIndian

Country flag
If certain ethinc or caste groups are just physically & mentally better than others than you can't do s**t about it. Let say if you pit 10 marad paratha bheemta against a conservative Rajput from village on physical parameters alone, who do you think will win ? My money is on a Rajput. 20th century reservation, history forging , MS paint skill doesn't give one balls.

homogeneous military units works fine much better i would say. They are better at coordination & there is a sense of brotherhood.
We live in 21st century where warfare is dominated by machines,not raw human strenght.So we need soldiers who are technically well versed and not 18th century battle charging soldiers.

So even if an army has soldier consisting of kung fu and karate black belts,they will be easily defeated by a small technologically strong army.

Homogenous military units faces issues of coordinating and building rapport with the local population if deployed in far away locations.Thus affecting their operational ability.

Further the biggest risk with homogenous military units is events like that happened after 1984 blue star operations because of which one entire battalion had to be disbanded.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles