Indian Army Divisions, their badges and equipment

Tanmay

Country flag
Maybe it was a trick question.
Here iaf has 8 launchers in 1 squadrons. Now just look at orders - iaf had ordered 8 squadrons comprising 64 launchers at the cost of 6200 crore. Now lets just roughly calaculate the price of 1 launcher from this and i know other systems are also involved but this will give us a pretty good idea. Which means approximately 96.8 crore for 1 launcher. Now army order 2 regiment at the cost of 14180 crore . That means 146 launchers for army in 2 regiment .
Now according to you each regiment has 24 launchers not 70. And even if army need additional equipments, even then it would not be 24 launchers. The difference is too much.
The link of order of akash
So IAF cost per launcher is approx 100 crore
While Indian Army cost per launcher is approx 290 crore

Reasons could be

Each IAF Akash Squadron (8 launchers) has only 1 3D-CAR Rohini radar (1 Rohini Radar per 8 launchers)

While each Indian Army Akash regiment has total of 7 Rohini radars --
---- 6 Troop level 3D-CAR Rohini radars (1 Radar per 4 launchers) ++++ 1 at HQ level

Each rohini Radar costs almost 40 to 66 crores

https://www.livefistdefence.com/2009/09/iaf-orders-30-more-rohini-radars.html

IAF Orders 30 More Rohini Radars
Satisfied with the performance of the indigenously developed and built Rohini 3D Multifunction Medium Range Surveillance Radar, the Indian Air Force has placed an in-principle order of 30 more at a cost of Rs 2001 crore. In August last year, the IAF received its first Rohini radar, as part of an initial order for seven systems worth Rs 275 crore. All seven systems have since been handed over and operationalised.​

Also do note -
IAF uses usual container trailers, Indian Army uses high mobility 8x8.
IAF versions can use base infra of secured air bases like power supply, roads etc and are more or less permanently based there (less shocks from uneven terrain).
Indian Army versions will move along with Army columns over different terrains, so degree of ruggedness will be different

Each Troop is more independent than a Flight it seems. (compare extra equipment)

Tanmay

Country flag

Clearly 31 Armoured Division contains
5 Mech Inf
9 Mech Inf
12 Mech Inf

Rorrim

Country flag
The Hall of Fame museum in Leh is a tourist attraction and Army museum

https://goo.gl/maps/thrhRtK41ohfUrff9

Some images from there.

254 (I) Armoured Brigade (SNOW LEOPARD BRIGADE) and 118 (I) Infantry Brigade (PARASHU BRIGADE) flags are prominent.

View attachment 55021

Some info abour 254 (I) Armoured Brigade (SNOW LEOPARD BRIGADE) from Army itself in the museum
Why is 102 (I) independent infantry Siachen Brigade Flag is missing from this 14 Corps units. Does it now directly operate under Army HQ?

Tanmay

Country flag
That is what? Though it is part of 14 Corps, why is its flag missing from the hall fame picture unlike 118 Inf Brigd and 245 Armoured Brigd.
I dont think 102 has a flag. Never came across it's flag/insignia.
Any pics of its flag?

Tanmay

Country flag
Here blue one.
Thanks for the flag

Not sure why it is not present in the Hall

https://www.tribuneindia.com/2014/20140413/pers.htm

The 102 Infantry Brigade, headquartered at Partapur near Thoise, is the principal formation tasked with occupying and defending the glacier. It is part of the Leh-based 14 Corps, raised after the Kargil conflict.

The brigade is supported by artillery, air defence, engineer and other logistic elements. Ladakh Scouts battalions are also deployed in Karu, Nubra, Leh and Partappur areas.

Infantry deployment in the region ranges between five and eight battalions. Troops man outposts and artillery observation posts; maintain helipads and carry out patrols.

The brigade maintains the Siachen Base Camp, which is the launchpad for inducting troops in the glacier and also runs the Siachen Battle School for pre-induction training, orientation and acclimatisation for fresh troops. The base camp is located at about 12,000 feet above sea level, with the highest posts on the glacier being Pahalwan (20,000 ft) and Indira Col.

IAF helicopters units in Leh, Thoise and Srinagar are deployed for air maintenance of forward posts and casualty evacuation. Airlifting troops and supplies to Leh, Thoise and advance landing grounds like Daulat Beg Oldie as well as para-dropping supplies is primarily undertaken by 12 Wing, Chandigarh. The IAF’s latest transporters, C-17 and C-130, are also involved in logistic operations.

Rorrim

Country flag
Thanks for the flag

Not sure why it is not present in the Hall

https://www.tribuneindia.com/2014/20140413/pers.htm

The 102 Infantry Brigade, headquartered at Partapur near Thoise, is the principal formation tasked with occupying and defending the glacier. It is part of the Leh-based 14 Corps, raised after the Kargil conflict.

The brigade is supported by artillery, air defence, engineer and other logistic elements. Ladakh Scouts battalions are also deployed in Karu, Nubra, Leh and Partappur areas.

Infantry deployment in the region ranges between five and eight battalions. Troops man outposts and artillery observation posts; maintain helipads and carry out patrols.

The brigade maintains the Siachen Base Camp, which is the launchpad for inducting troops in the glacier and also runs the Siachen Battle School for pre-induction training, orientation and acclimatisation for fresh troops. The base camp is located at about 12,000 feet above sea level, with the highest posts on the glacier being Pahalwan (20,000 ft) and Indira Col.

IAF helicopters units in Leh, Thoise and Srinagar are deployed for air maintenance of forward posts and casualty evacuation. Airlifting troops and supplies to Leh, Thoise and advance landing grounds like Daulat Beg Oldie as well as para-dropping supplies is primarily undertaken by 12 Wing, Chandigarh. The IAF’s latest transporters, C-17 and C-130, are also involved in logistic operations.
My guess is due raising of 14 corps reserve brigade (118) and moving 2 additional brigade (70 & 81) under 3 Division, Siachen Bigrade (102) may have been moved directly under Army HQ, so that 3 Division can concentrate only on Ladakh-Tibet & Xinjiang border.

Tanmay

Country flag
My guess is due raising of 14 corps reserve brigade (118) and moving 2 additional brigade (70 & 81) under 3 Division, Siachen Bigrade (102) may have been moved directly under Army HQ, so that 3 Division can concentrate only on Ladakh-Tibet & Xinjiang border.
Brigades usually come under Divisions
Divisions come under Corps

14 Corps has 2 Divisions :
  • 3rd Infantry Division (Laddakh facing Chinus)
  • 8th Mountain Division (Kargil facing Pakis)

102 Brigade was earlier under operational command of 3 Infantry Division which made it weird, 3ID faced Chinis but 102 faced Pakis. Also 3ID was being beefed up with new brigades.

Hence 102 was shifted from 3 Infantry Division to 14 Corps.

So 14 Corps looks like this
  • 3 Infantry division
  • 8 Mountain Division
  • 102 (I) Infantry Brigade
Placing under Army HQ will mean lack of coordination with parent formations.

3 Infantry Division lost control over 102. So it only faces China now as you said.

14 Corps was anyways facing Pakis bcoz of its 8th Mountain division. So 102 Inf Bde addition doesnt change anything

Tanmay

Country flag
Also as seen from Army handouts, its the 14 Corps GOC who looks after Siachen

Shows chain of command

Army Chief > Northern Command GOC > 14 Corps GOC > Siachen Brigade

Last edited:

Tanmay

Country flag
Indian Army has
3 Armoured Divisions (Orange)
3 Artillery Divisions (Blue)
6 RAPIDs (Green)

Some of the nicknames are brand new, eg (Trinetra, Blazing Sword, Spearhead Divisions - since they were newly raised)

2nd Mountain Division and 39th Infantry Division have the same nickname i.e. DAH division

56th Division, Zakhama
has now moved on to Likabali

1st Armoured Div – Patiala (AIRAVAT)
2nd Mtn Div - Dibrugarh (DAH)
3rd Inf Div – Leh (TRISHUL)
4th RAPID – Allahabad (RED EAGLE)
5th Mtn Div - Tenga (BALL OF FIRE)
6th Mtn Div – Bareilly (GARUD)
7th Inf Div – Firozpur (GOLDEN ARROW)
8th Mtn Div – Dras (FOREVER IN OPS)
9th Inf Div – Meerut (PINE)
10th Inf Div – Akhnoor (CROSSED SWORDS)
11th Inf Div – Ahmedabad (GOLDEN KATAR)
12th RAPID – Jodhpur (GOLDEN AXE)
14th RAPID – Dehradun (GOLDEN KEY)
15th Inf Div – Amritsar (PANTHER)
16th Inf Div – Sri Ganganagar (AMOGH)
17th Mtn Div - Gangtok (BLACKCAT)
18th RAPID – Kota (GANDIV)
19th Inf Div – Baramulla (DAGGER)
20th Mtn Div – Binnaguri (KIRPAN)
21st Mtn Div – Rangia (RED HORNS)
22nd Inf Div – Meerut (RAM)
23rd Inf Div -Ranchi (COCKREL)
24th RAPID – Bikaner ( RANBANKURA)
25th Inf Div – Rajauri (ACE OF SPADES)
26th Inf Div – Jammu (TIGER)
27th Mtn Div – Kalimpong (STRIKING LION)
28th Inf Div – Gurez (VAJR)
29th Inf Div – Pathankot (GURJ/SILVER MACE)
31st Armoured Div – Jhansi (WHITE TIGER)
33rd Armoured Div – Hisar (DOT)
36th RAPID – Sagar (SHAHBAAZ)
39th Inf Div – Yol (DAH)
40th Artillery Div - Ambala
41st Artillery Div - Pune (Agnibaaz)
42nd Artillery Div - Alwar
54th Inf Div – Secunderabad (BISON)
56th Mtn Div - Likabali (SPEARHEAD)
57th Mtn Div – Leimakhong (RED SHIELD)
59th Inf Div –Panagarh (TRINETRA)
71st Mtn Div – Missamari (BLAZING SWORD)
72 Inf Div – Pathankot

These are the Divisions of Indian Army

#ArmyCommander #SaptaShaktiCommand visited Strategic Strikers Division

Sapt Shakti Command is South Western Command

Sapt Shakti Command has 1 Corps (Mathura) and X Corps

This Division is unheard of atleast to me. Or probably an alternate name for existing division.
1) It is based in Alwar
2) Division name is new

As a wild guess, could it be that the 42nd Artillery Division ( based at Alwar) which is a part of I Corps (Mathura) is called Strategic Strikers division?

Insignia of 42nd Artillery Division ( Alwar) aka Strategic Strikers Division !!!

Last edited:

Tanmay

Country flag
Parashu Brigade and Snow Leopard (Independent) Armoured Brigade insignias under 14 Corps

Tanmay

Country flag
Just go by this photo.

One Akash Army Regiment has
## 6 Troops

One Troop has
## 4 Akash Launcher Vehicles

One Akash Launcher has
## 3 Active missiles

So entire regiment has 6*4*3 = 72 active missiles

My guess is
288 is the number of missiles per regiment
So 288/72 = 4
So each launcher vehicle can be reloaded 4 times. Each time with 3 missiles.

Evil hindu reporters mistook 288 missiles for 288 launchers and 6 troops for 6 launchers

Janyock212004

Country flag
Hey friend, I wanted to ask you do you know why there are painted markings of certain letters and numbers like "V2","V3","E II" on the skirts of tanks and BMPs belonging to the IA.

Trololo

Country flag
These are the Divisions of Indian Army

#ArmyCommander #SaptaShaktiCommand visited Strategic Strikers Division

Sapt Shakti Command is South Western Command

Sapt Shakti Command has 1 Corps (Mathura) and X Corps

This Division is unheard of atleast to me. Or probably an alternate name for existing division.
1) It is based in Alwar
2) Division name is new

As a wild guess, could it be that the 42nd Artillery Division ( based at Alwar) which is a part of I Corps (Mathura) is called Strategic Strikers division?

Insignia of 42nd Artillery Division ( Alwar) aka Strategic Strikers Division !!!
Troops look fat with protruding bellies. Do we have a Battlefield fitness proficiency test like US army does?

Global Defence

Articles