Indian Army Divisions, their badges and equipment

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
254 (I) Armoured Brigade (SNOW LEOPARD BRIGADE) and 118 (I) Infantry Brigade (PARASHU BRIGADE) flags are prominent.

View attachment 55021

Some info abour 254 (I) Armoured Brigade (SNOW LEOPARD BRIGADE) from Army itself in the museum
View attachment 55027
Great find.

I think DFI is the only forum to have listed all Independent Armoured Brigades with their names, insignias and numbers.
Even Bharat Rakshak doesnt have this information in coherent form.

Ofcourse all information was publicly availabe, but too scattered and no other forum or person has listed everyting in a simple way :)
Maybe time to scrounge out details on the Independent Mech Brigades as well.

Tanmay

Country flag
Lets have a look at 14/ XIV Corps - Leh

The NORTHERN COMMAND based at Udhampur has three Corps under it

XIV Corps - Leh (FIRE & FURY Corps)
XIV Corp - Srinagar (CHINAR Corps)
XVI Corps - Nagrota (WHITE KNIGHT Corps)

14 Corps (FIRE & FURY).jpg
15 Corps (CHINAR).gif
16 Corps (WHITE KNIGHT).png

XIV Corps XV Corps XVI Corps

XIV Corps or 14 Corps has to protect
  • Kargil (from Pakistan),
  • Siachen Glacier and
  • Laddakh(from China)
We will form the ORBAT uwing officially available/ publiclyavailable info.

14 Corps consists of two divisions
  • 3rd Infanrty Division - Karu (TRISHUL Division)
  • 8th Mountain Division - Dras (FOREVER IN OPS Division
  • 102 (I) Infantry Brigade - Partapur (SIACHEN BRIGADE)
  • 118 (I) Infantry Brigade - Nyoma (PARASHU BRIGADE)
  • 254 (I) Armoured Brigade - (unknown location) (SNOW LEOPARD BRIGADE)

Tanmay

Country flag
Lets have a look at 14/ XIV Corps - Leh

The NORTHERN COMMAND based at Udhampur has three Corps under it

XIV Corps - Leh (FIRE & FURY Corps)
XIV Corp - Srinagar (CHINAR Corps)
XVI Corps - Nagrota (WHITE KNIGHT Corps)

View attachment 55047 View attachment 55048 View attachment 55049
XIV Corps XV Corps XVI Corps

XIV Corps or 14 Corps has to protect
  • Kargil (from Pakistan),
  • Siachen Glacier and
  • Laddakh(from China)
We will form the ORBAT uwing officially available/ publiclyavailable info.

14 Corps consists of two divisions
  • 3rd Infanrty Division - Karu (TRISHUL Division)
  • 8th Mountain Division - Dras (FOREVER IN OPS Division
  • 102 (I) Infantry Brigade - Partapur (SIACHEN BRIGADE)
  • 118 (I) Infantry Brigade - Nyoma (PARASHU BRIGADE)
  • 254 (I) Armoured Brigade - (unknown location) (SNOW LEOPARD BRIGADE)
https://swarajyamag.com/defence/pla...ht-unawares-in-ladakh-china-risks-losing-face
The 14 Corps, also called the ‘Fire & Fury’ Corps, has the 3 Infantry Division, the 8 Mountain Division, the independent ‘Siachen Brigade’, an armoured brigade and a reserve infantry brigade under it. The 3 Infantry Division has three infantry brigades stationed at Tangste, Kairi and Daulat Beg Oldie (DBO) under it. The infantry brigade at DBO also has a tank regiment.

I think this information may be slightly incorrect.

Indian Army builds Community Kitchen in Eastern Ladakh
Responding to a request from locals of the region, 'Fire & Fury' Corps of the Indian Army has constructed a community kitchen at the revered Tarsing Karmo Gompa located in an extremely remote area of Eastern Ladakh.​
Tarsing Karmo Gompa is popular Buddhist pilgrimage site in remote Eastern Ladakh, situated 26 km from Shyok Village in Durbuk Block of Leh district. a​
Executed by Patiala Brigade of the Trishul Division as a Border Area Development Project (BADP),
Commander Patiala Brigade and Shri Konchok Namgial, Sarpanch of Durbuk Block represented the Indian Army and the UT administration at the function, respectively. Also present was a 97-year-old Army Veteran, Naik Tashi Stanzin (Retired).​

The eartwhile Yol Fort was a small memorial existing at the Nabha-Mall Road junction inside the Cantonment, constructed in 1958 by 81 Infantry Brigade (Patiala)
Patiala Brigade organises the famous Ice Hockey competition in Durbuk
https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/j-k/army-organises-ice-hockey-tournament-in-eastern-ladakh-11494

http://sainiksamachar.nic.in/englisharchives/2010/may16-10/h9.htm
Click on the link and see photo, Chushul Brigade is the famous 114 Brigade
Chushul Warrior Brigade celebrated its golden jubilee recently.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/2014/20140818/main7.htm
An armoured regiment — 46 tanks — had moved in last year to join the Kiari-based 70 Brigade and is now located at a forward sector, 20 km inside the LAC,
I think DBO received a tank regiment, not Kiari

3rd Infanrty Division - Karu (TRISHUL Division)
  • 70th Infantry Brigade - Kiari
  • 114th Infantry Brigade - Tangste (CHUSHUL WARRIOR Brigade)
  • 81st Infantry Brigade - Durbuk (PATIALA Brigade)
  • 3rd Artillery Brigade - Nimu

Tanmay

Country flag
https://swarajyamag.com/defence/pla...ht-unawares-in-ladakh-china-risks-losing-face

I think this information may be slightly incorrect.

Patiala Brigade organises the famous Ice Hockey competition in Durbuk
https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/j-k/army-organises-ice-hockey-tournament-in-eastern-ladakh-11494

http://sainiksamachar.nic.in/englisharchives/2010/may16-10/h9.htm
Click on the link and see photo, Chushul Brigade is the famous 114 Brigade

https://www.tribuneindia.com/2014/20140818/main7.htm

I think DBO received a tank regiment, not Kiari

3rd Infanrty Division - Karu (TRISHUL Division)
  • 70th Infantry Brigade - Kiari
  • 114th Infantry Brigade - Tangste (CHUSHUL WARRIOR Brigade)
  • 81st Infantry Brigade - Durbuk (PATIALA Brigade)
  • 3rd Artillery Brigade - Nimu

Further I feel all the news of an armoured regiment at DBO is a bit too much. If you look at DBO on google earth, there is very little construction. I cant see 45 tanks anywhere at DBO.ds
So the Tanks for DBO might be based at Durbuk/Tangste/Nyoma etc and then use SSN aka DSDBO road to reach DBO during war. DBO migh have a few BMPs ar Tanks, but surely not a regiment. A squadron perhaps

Tanmay

Country flag
So some more news on Independent Armoured Brigades

It seems in 2009-2012 itself it was decided to raise 3 new Armoured Brigades.
Each independent armoured brigade generally has 2 tank regiments and one BMP regiment.

So three armoured brigades will need 6 tank regiments and 3 BMP regiments.

They are meant for
1) Laddakh - we have already seen that independent armoured brigade above
2) Sikkim/ West Bengal - We have seen Eastern ArmyCommand post photos/videos of T-72 in Sikkim/Teesta River
3) Uttarakhand - (as per Trishul blog) Very weird deployment

I think I have faint information about the ninth Armoured Brigade for West Bengal/Sikkim. Have come across a new brigade number. But no nickname or insignia or tank seen till now

https://www.dailyexcelsior.com/top-army-commanders-set-get-new-postings-jk/

The Defence Ministry has cleared the plan to raise six new armoured regiments that will be equipped with roughly 350 tanks. In addition, three mechanized infantry battalions will be raised with 180 BMP-II infantry combat vehicles.
Army’s Ladakh-based 14 Corps is to be allocated an armoured brigade to safeguard the region nearing Tibet at Chushul in Ladakh.
The second armoured brigade will be located in the Siliguri corridor in Bengal which can safeguard the region in Sikkim.

https://www.business-standard.com/a...es-to-defend-china-border-112091702018_1.html
The army’s defences on the China border will get a major offensive boost with the impending deployment of two tank brigades, one each in Ladakh and north-east India.
Authoritative MoD (Ministry of Defence) sources tell Business Standard that the plan, cleared by the MoD, involves raising six new armoured regiments, equipped with 348 tanks (58 tanks per regiment, including reserves). In addition, three mechanised infantry battalions will be raised, amounting to about 180 BMP-IIs.

The Ladakh-based 14 Corps will be allocated an armoured brigade to cover the flat approaches from Tibet towards India’s crucial defences at Chushul.

http://trishul-trident.blogspot.com/2016/08/norinco-built-medium-main-battle-tanks.html

In mid-2009, India’s Ministry of Defence approved the IA’s plans for raising three independent armoured brigades (each inclusive of two tank regiments with T-72 Combat Improved Ajeya medium tanks and one mechanised infantry regiment with BMP-2K Sarath ICVs). While each tank regiment has since early 2014 been equipped with 58 T-72CIAs, the mechanised infantry regiments each possess 70 BMP-2Ks. Of these three new Independent Armoured Brigades, one is located in Ladakh (under the Leh-HQed XIV Corps), another in Uttarakhand and the third in Kalimpong under the XXXIII ‘Trishakti’ Corps that is HQed in Sukna near the city of Siliguri. The Brigade in Ladakh is responsible for the protection of passes like Lanak La, Kongka La, Rezang La, Chang La and Jara La. In Uttarakhand, the Brigade is responsible for securing the passes in Mana, Niti, Kungri Bingri, Darma, and Lipulekh. In Sikkim, the third Brigade is responsible for securing the Dolam Plateau.

Tanmay

Country flag
Finding information about Eastern Command and its Corps,Divisions,Brigades is tough. All their official photos have their insignia, flags and names blurred out.

I thought perhaps more security against Chinese.

But then they even blur out flags and insignias in photos with Chinese sitting alongside ! See below.

Tanmay

Country flag
Second image with flags has a yellow background flag with serpent (like doctors emblem)

Also other insignias from central command

Abhay Rajput 02

@A chauhan , this might give you a little bit more headache.
@Tanmay this is what i was talking about .
Akash sam
Two articles - total conflicting views , the million dollar question which is right
Now both of these articles are from hindu but they are saying very opposite things.
First article claims army each regiment of akash have 240/288 launchers and second article claims each regiment of akash sam have 6 launchers.

Tanmay

Country flag
@A chauhan , this might give you a little bit more headache.
@Tanmay this is what i was talking about .
Akash sam
Two articles - total conflicting views , the million dollar question which is right
Now both of these articles are from hindu but they are saying very opposite things.
First article claims army each regiment of akash have 240/288 launchers and second article claims each regiment of akash sam have 6 launchers.
Just go by this photo.

One Akash Army Regiment has
## 6 Troops

One Troop has
## 4 Akash Launcher Vehicles

One Akash Launcher has
## 3 Active missiles

So entire regiment has 6*4*3 = 72 active missiles

My guess is
288 is the number of missiles per regiment
So 288/72 = 4
So each launcher vehicle can be reloaded 4 times. Each time with 3 missiles.

Evil hindu reporters mistook 288 missiles for 288 launchers and 6 troops for 6 launchers

Tanmay

Country flag
And the reason i consider the above photo as a good source is because of the below photo

It shows the configuration of Air Force Akash Squadron

One Akash Squadron has
## 2 Flights

Each Flight has

This can be easily verified by satellite imagery of IAF bases.
IAD Akash Squadrons have the same depoyed configuration on ground as depicted in below pic.

Abhay Rajput 02

And the reason i consider the above photo as a good source is because of the below photo

It shows the configuration of Air Force Akash Squadron

One Akash Squadron has
## 2 Flights

Each Flight has

This can be easily verified by satellite imagery of IAF bases.
IAD Akash Squadrons have the same depoyed configuration on ground as depicted in below pic.
Maybe it was a trick question.
Here iaf has 8 launchers in 1 squadrons. Now just look at orders - iaf had ordered 8 squadrons comprising 64 launchers at the cost of 6200 crore. Now lets just roughly calaculate the price of 1 launcher from this and i know other systems are also involved but this will give us a pretty good idea. Which means approximately 96.8 crore for 1 launcher. Now army order 2 regiment at the cost of 14180 crore . That means 146 launchers for army in 2 regiment .
Now according to you each regiment has 24 launchers not 70. And even if army need additional equipments, even then it would not be 24 launchers. The difference is too much.
The link of order of akash

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles