Indian Army Aviation Wing

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Does anybody know how to join army aviation corps after being commissioned in the Army? what are the requirements and eligibility norms?
You have to Join the Army first, Then you can apply for Aviation wing just like Infantry & Arty and Armour, Though as basic you must be a +2 Science student with 50% in PCM..

The army aviation pilots are drawn from other combat arms, including artillery officers too, to form a composite third dimensional force for an integrated battle.The Army Aviation Corps currently has the strength of 460+ pilot officers with an annual intake of 40-45 pilots.

sonam pande

You have to Join the Army first, Then you can apply for Aviation wing just like Infantry & Arty and Armour, Though as basic you must be a +2 Science student with 50% in PCM..

The army aviation pilots are drawn from other combat arms, including artillery officers too, to form a composite third dimensional force for an integrated battle.The Army Aviation Corps currently has the strength of 460+ pilot officers with an annual intake of 40-45 pilots.
how much time it will take to get trained in flying????

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
No i dont think its a 10 month duration course..its more than 12 months...6months in allahbad or may be in banglore n rest 6 months in nasik,,i think so.......correct me if iam wrong...
You are probably correct..

Vikas Sharma

Heard we are upgrading from ZSU-23-2. Are these the same that we used in Kargil back in 1999.

Last edited:

Jim Street

Country flag
Its Anti Aircraft Gun. ZSU-23-2 which uses 23mm ammunition. It was used in Kargil also in 1999. I also heard our soldiers used this gun to fire at enemy post too. I also heard we are going to upgrade this gun or we are.
Correct me, If I'm wrong.
Can it be taken by our Heavy lift helicopters ? Seems like they can.

AshutoshNSingh

:thumb: As per your choice which one is the best for IA as an light observation helicopter?
Kamov Ka 226T seems a better choice than Fennec to me.
Also like the ultra light Boeing Little Birds for observation purposes. Can fly upto 18700 ft. Don't know whether it'd meet our army requirements, but hope it would.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

What exactly are they shooting at!!!
Drones, as target practice..

Kamov Ka 226T seems a better choice than Fennec to me.Also like the ultra light Boeing Little Birds for observation purposes. Can fly upto 18700 ft. Don't know whether it'd meet our army requirements, but hope it would.
KA - 226 is heavy than Fennec even dhruv but more power to counter extra weight..

Wont pass IA tests, Also Lancer and Cheetah are doing great job in recon, AH-6 is a good CT gunship..

AshutoshNSingh

Drones, as target practice..

KA - 226 is heavy than Fennec even dhruv but more power to counter extra weight..

Wont pass IA tests, Also Lancer and Cheetah are doing great job in recon, AH-6 is a good CT gunship..
Yes its a bit too heavy but more powerful & rugged. But Fennec doesnt have bulged doors for evacuation purpose. Rest all LUH contenders already discarded. So either refloat tender with changes in GSQR causing the nightmarish delay or TINA.

True that Cheetah n Lancer doin good job in recon, but they'll need replacement as they've already reached obsolence..

Zebra

Country flag
Kamov Ka 226T seems a better choice than Fennec to me.
For me, any day, Fennec is better.
For this reason.....it can carry armament........

20 mm Giat M621 cannon
Fabrique Nationale de Herstal twin 7.62 mm or 12.7 mm machine gun pods
7 x 2.75in Forges de Zeebrugge or 12 x 68 mm Thales Brandt rockets
BGM-71 TOW anti-tank missiles

Also like the ultra light Boeing Little Birds for observation purposes. Can fly upto 18700 ft.
For ultra light observation helos, the best is MD 520N and make it like 'Defender'. McDonnell Douglas MD 500 Defender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OR

Boeing Little Bird.

Don't know whether it'd meet our army requirements, but hope it would.
MD 520N, it's ceiling is 16,000 ft (4,875 m) much better than Chetak or Cheetah. Can carry 4-5 passengers and it's Armament too.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Yes its a bit too heavy but more powerful & rugged. But Fennec doesnt have bulged doors for evacuation purpose. Rest all LUH contenders already discarded. So either refloat tender with changes in GSQR causing the nightmarish delay or TINA.
In that sense isn't Dhruv is better, If you check Dhruv is lighter and more powerful than KA-226..

True that Cheetah n Lancer doin good job in recon, but they'll need replacement as they've already reached obsolence..
I can say that One should update Lancer with same avionics as AH-6 coz Lancer use same logistics as Cheetah..

These chopper fit the need in Indian Environment..

AshutoshNSingh

For me, any day, Fennec is better.
For this reason.....it can carry armament........
yupp they are good but they do not meet iA gsqr honestly as they dont have bulged doors etc for evac purpose. Ka 226 too heavy but also more powerful

AshutoshNSingh

In that sense isn't Dhruv is better, If you check Dhruv is lighter and more powerful than KA-226..
Agree fully. In that case dhruv is better. We may make further developments in the chopper to fit the army LUH requirements. Why depend on lean and mean lookin videshi helos when we can make our own toy evn though a bit rugged

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Agree fully. In that case dhruv is better. We may make further developments in the chopper to fit the army LUH requirements. Why depend on lean and mean lookin videshi helos when we can make our own toy evn though a bit rugged
HAL production line is the problem..

Zebra

Country flag
yupp they are good but they do not meet iA gsqr honestly as they dont have bulged doors etc for evac purpose. Ka 226 too heavy but also more powerful
Stay with the Dhruv. Much better.

A second manufacturing facility for HAL's helicopters.
OR
Let private players come in.
Something like.....
Helos made by Tata, designed and developed by HAL.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles