Indian Army Artillery

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Thanx for clearing ma doubt on laser guided artilery strike.one last question ie is it right that if we had to laser guide a target the units with the laser designator should be pretty close to the target ?is thaere any way to laser designate a target by not going any near to it?
In order for Laser projectile to hit the target, the target is required to be designated, that is illuminated by a laser beam. That is required to be done either by the aircraft, an UAV, or a ground based designator. The seeker in the projectile will seek the laser beam and ride on it to or follow it to reach the target.

For artillery laser bombs or the air delivered bombs it is best done by the forward observation officer or by the SF teams deep inside enemy territory or by the UAV. That is why terrorists / maoists / jehadies deep inside ones territory during war are very dangerous.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Thanx for clearing ma doubt on laser guided artilery strike.one last question ie is it right that if we had to laser guide a target the units with the laser designator should be pretty close to the target ?is thaere any way to laser designate a target by not going any near to it?
The safest way would be then via a UAV..

But technology like this in Indian Context would be very beneficial in Mountain warfare ( Kargil ) from cheap fire-support from such as a 81mm PGM Mortar..

The Fox

Re: Indian Army Armored Vehicles

what is the tracked howitzer that the indian army currently has i know about Bhim which was a JV between Daniel of SA which is stopped and is there any other tracked howitzers in IA or is the IA waiting for Renewed Bhim

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

what is the tracked howitzer that the Indian army currently has i know about Bhim which was a JV between Daniel of SA which is stopped and is there any other tracked howitzers in IA or is the IA waiting for Renewed Bhim
Presently Indian Army have:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bhim is dead permanently..

Following tracked SPGH are in row:

BEML ARZU

L&T Donar

SK K9

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

4th Time Lucky? Army Floats Wheeled Gun Bid

Sigh. Because that's really all one can do about Indian artillery procurement. Oh well. After cancelling its last attempt at procuring 180 wheeled self-propelled 155mm artillery systems, the Army has begun the process afresh, sending out a new RFI to prospective vendors. The RFI, which specifies nothing apart from the requirement of a 155mm 45/52cal gun, leaves the door open for systems that could include the Konštrukta SpGH Zuzana 2, Nexter CAESAR, Rheinmetall RWG-52 and BAE-Bofors FH77 BW L52 Archer.
Livefist: 4th Time Lucky? Army Floats Wheeled Gun Bid

The Fox

Presently Indian Army have:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bhim is dead permanently..

Following tracked SPGH are in row:

BEML ARZU

L&T Donar

SK K9
catapult looks pretty old and only thing new is the paint

and BEML ARZU forget it the army has declared that it will not order the ARZU as the company is partially owned by Ravi Rishi of TATRA so no no for beml and L&T Donar is german and it might have ReinMetal gun which is banned in india and third is K9 i believe it is Korean however i recently heard that govt is Looking to Revive Bhim with the gun made from OFB let me check and give u the link for it.............

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Old links..

Though yes there were talks of new gun for bhim..

catapult looks pretty old and only thing new is the paint

BEML ARZU forget it the army has declared that it will not order the ARZU as the company is partially owned by Ravi Rishi of TATRA so no no for beml

L&T Donar is german and it might have ReinMetal gun which is banned in india

and third is K9 i believe it is Korean however i recently heard that govt is Looking to Revive Bhim with the gun made from OFB let me check and give u the link for it.............

That what IA got..

Things are changing back to old corrupt days..

Reinmetal AD is ban not its Arty section..

K9 is also in tender..

The Fox

Old links..

Though yes there were talks of new gun for bhim..

That what IA got..

Things are changing back to old corrupt days..

Reinmetal AD is ban not its Arty section..

K9 is also in tender..
common man its just june 6 2011 it is not Old in defense contracts 1 year is nothing........

however my intention is first for Bhim they can mount a 155mm 52 cal gun based on local design by OFB can be inducted however as a stop gap they can have a mix of imported and indigenous tracked and wheeled they can have the 45 cal gun mounted on Ashok Leland stallion with auto-load feature can workout for the army however for this to happen army should cooperate with the OFB and army should have a mix of both indian and imported and gradually phase out the imported with the local production this is what i would do if i were to be the CCS in-charge of procurement

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
common man its just june 6 2011 it is not Old in defense contracts 1 year is nothing........

however my intention is first for Bhim they can mount a 155mm 52 cal gun based on local design by OFB can be inducted however as a stop gap they can have a mix of imported and indigenous tracked and wheeled they can have the 45 cal gun mounted on Ashok Leland stallion with auto-load feature can workout for the army however for this to happen army should cooperate with the OFB

I agree with you 101% ! !

--------------------------------------

Though I should also put this, Until we get 155/52cal gun, Bhim can be updated with 155/45cal gun which is already in service, 45cal gun can shoot projectile to 40kms or more..

Ashoke Layland is not a good truck for such operation but TATRA or some new truck based like the once TATA offering..

The Fox

I agree with you 101% ! !

--------------------------------------

Though I should also put this, Until we get 155/52cal gun, Bhim can be updated with 155/45cal gun which is already in service, 45cal gun can shoot projectile to 40kms or more..

Ashoke Layland is not a good truck for such operation but TATRA or some new truck based like the once TATA offering..
TATRA is a good truck but it is way too costly its like paying Rs 1crore for a ambassador car n spares r way too too too costly ex a boltnut cost Rs 650 then think about others spares

Last edited:

The Fox

Yes, we know that.. ...
to b honest I should be the one who must have posted this comment as my life revolved around BEML as my dad is working there and still providing for my family still the reason why I am skeptical about beml is that they Donot have proper R&D n the Tatar after so many year of manufacturing not even single component is locally manufactured every thing is imported at higher price any ways I don't see much development in the company its still the same

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
to b honest I should be the one who must have posted this comment as my life revolved around BEML as my dad is working there and still providing for my family still the reason why I am skeptical about beml is that they Donot have proper R&D n the Tatar after so many year of manufacturing not even single component is locally manufactured every thing is imported at higher price any ways I don't see much development in the company its still the same
Yes, that is true..

Also those are second hand trucks..

The Fox

NO Kunal they are not Second Hand Truck By the time they reach Army they become old ........ i have seen them in Beml they just assemble the different parts arrived from Czech Republic

vishwaprasad

Country flag
Sorry I haven't yet gone through this entire thread, so pardon me if some news is already posted...

I just would like to know wither we have any 155 mm/ 52 caliber artillery in our army or not...Our most powerful gun Boforse is 155 mm / 39 caliber. M777 which we are planning to get from US is also I think 155 mm / 45 caliber....are we using 155 mm/ 52 caliber? if not then what are our plans? please help.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There are no 155mm/52 cal in army...

M777 is light 155mm/39cal..

OFB has produced 155mm/45cal and 100 of them are ordered..

RFI is for 155mm/52cal...

DRDO is also working on 155mm/52cal..

Zebra

Country flag
4th Time Lucky? Army Floats Wheeled Gun Bid

Sigh. Because that's really all one can do about Indian artillery procurement. Oh well. After cancelling its last attempt at procuring 180 wheeled self-propelled 155mm artillery systems, the Army has begun the process afresh, sending out a new RFI to prospective vendors. The RFI, which specifies nothing apart from the requirement of a 155mm 45/52cal gun, leaves the door open for systems that could include the Konštrukta SpGH Zuzana 2, Nexter CAESAR, Rheinmetall RWG-52 and BAE-Bofors FH77 BW L52 Archer.

Livefist: 4th Time Lucky? Army Floats Wheeled Gun Bid
If they make it with- only French, Swedish and the German, how sweet it will be!

French towed+ wheeled.
Swedish towed+ wheeled.
German tracked.

On top of that, what ever indigenous guns they like (as surplus).

Global Defence

New threads

Articles