Indian Army Artillery

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Re: Indigenous artillery guns meet parameters; Army orders 100

then why one call chinese pla self reliant? its the only way for starters
PLA is self reliant because they have the production line humming.

Our production line of whatever is there to produce is always posting 'slippages' with a variety of excuses and so we cannot be self reliant in whatever we produce even with licence!

And we are not China who claim that everything is original Chinese.

INSAS would be indigenous, because it is not quite a copy. It is an ammalgam of many different established rifle technologies rolled into one. That requires ingenuity and hence no copying in its strict sense. And therefore, indigenous.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Kunal...

Why are you all beating around the bush>
Electronic fuses for 81 mm and 120 mm Mortars?
Why talk big of GPS fuses?

I am not a kid here that I will forget what I used to do in AIT Girinagar ! 30 years back..

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Kunal...

Why are you all beating around the bush>
Electronic fuses for 81 mm and 120 mm Mortars?
Why talk big of GPS fuses?

I am not a kid here that I will forget what I used to do in AIT Girinagar ! 30 years back..
AIT Girinagar?

The Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT), previously called Institute of Armament Technology (IAT), is a Deemed University specializing in Armament Technologies and is located in Girinagar near Pune, India?

Student or Professor?

Or Armament Orientation Course?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Kunal...

AIT Girinagar ! 30 years back..
Bhadra Ji,

Not beating the bush i kinda hold on of those in my hand few years back, There are many types of Fuses i can give you detail if you tell me what type of fuses you are talking about ?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Mortars of the IA, to the best of my knowledge, never had any electronic fuses.

I am sure about 81mm Mortar.

120mm Mortars have been phased out, right?

]120mm of IA had proximity fuse, amongst other fuses.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Sir,
120mm still in Infantry saw it in 14gtc few years back, There are new kind of fuses which proximate fuse act similar as AD gun fuse, Burst just 5m above the ground..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
AIT Girinagar?

The Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT), previously called Institute of Armament Technology (IAT), is a Deemed University specializing in Armament Technologies and is located in Girinagar near Pune, India?

Student or Professor?

Or Armament Orientation Course?
Sir leave it at that ! Nothing to compare with your time there, may be !

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

IA artillary, I think is holding on to some units of 120 mm.
The world over, there is a trend for infantry to go in for 12omm moratrs specially the machanised ones and plains infantry due to increased range.

However, the world over there has been very sophisticated cahnges in the fuses as most of those are electronic proximity, electronic timed and top attack active electronic sensor fuse. Soltam of Isreal have made most advances. They even deploy HEAT bombs for 120 and 81 mm mortars in top attack mode.

I am simply asking these guys about what progress they have if any but they are simply brow beating me. Even deleting my posts. That is childish.
Hell of DODOs.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Sir,
120mm still in Infantry saw it in 14gtc few years back, There are new kind of fuses which proximate fuse act similar as AD gun fuse, Burst just 5m above the ground..
No Kunal,

120 mm Mors have never been part of Indian Infantry.... I hope no arguments on that. It must have been 81 mm. and there no proximity fuses for 120 or 81 mm.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
81 and 120 mm Bombs made by OFB are:

BOMB 81 mm MORTAR HE

BOMB 81 MM MORTAR SMOKE PWP

BOMB 81 MM MORTAR ILLUMINATING 2A

BOMB MORTAR 120 MM HE

BOMB MORTAR 120 MM SMOKE PWP

BOMB MORTAR 120 MM ILLG IA

81 MM MORTAR TRAINING DEVICE

120 MM MORTAR TRAINING DEVICE

Indian Ordnance Factories: Ammunition, Explosives, Propellants & Chemicals

That is all. They have either percussion fuses and timed mechanical fuse... None electronic...

Why twinblade deleted my two posts? Why should he be moderator if he can not tolerate DRDO honest criticism...

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I would not know the latest.

I last heard in the regorganisation of Artillery, 120mm and Lt Regt were on the way out and the Lts were converting to Fd Regts.

120mm had proximity fuses and of this I know.

I have been to Infantry Battalions in both field (LC) and peace this year, but I did not see any 120mm Mors.

But then who know what the Dickens is happening because there are too many Tees mar khans operating!

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I would not know the latest.

I last heard in the regorganisation of Artillery, 120mm and Lt Regt were on the way out and the Lts were converting to Fd Regts.

120mm had proximity fuses and of this I know.

I have been to Infantry Battalions in both fields and peace this year, but I did not see any 120mm Mors.

But then who know what the Dickens is happening because there are too many Tees mar khans operating!
Sir,
How many armies operate in the world in mountains desrts and jungles with such poor communications.
Only western and US armies have converted some of their infantry units to fire 120 mm. Basically vehicle / styker mounted.
It is just not possible for IA Infantry to manpack 120 mm.
Plus 120 has a very large safety range.

I am only giving open facts.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Indian Ordnance Factories: Ammunition, Explosives, Propellants & Chemicals

Why twinblade deleted my two posts? Why should he be moderator if he can not tolerate DRDO honest criticism...
I deleted those post not twinblade, And that is the site of OFB showing types of shells not fuse..

Sir,How many armies operate in the world in mountains desrts and jungles with such poor communications.
Only western and US armies have converted some of their infantry units to fire 120 mm. Basically vehicle / styker mounted.
It is just not possible for IA Infantry to manpack 120 mm. Plus 120 has a very large safety range.I am only giving open facts.
You missed the mules and 120mm can be man packed..

No Kunal,

120 mm Mors have never been part of Indian Infantry.... I hope no arguments on that. It must have been 81 mm. and there no proximity fuses for 120 or 81 mm.
You see i kinda know where it operates and i know how 81 looks different from big 120..

About the other Ray sir conformed it..

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
120mm Mor I have never seen with the Infantry till the last and this year!

Mors sure have their value in war, even though it was said to have been on the way to be phased out of the Artillery.

The Chandrasekhar Committee reduced the number of AT Bns and the Pioneers and so Mule MA, today is at a premium.

Both were sorely missed in the Kargil Ops.

Too many folks around who want to tailor the IA to save the Govt money with very little concern about the effects to get a pat from the Govt and get awards.

I said this to the IA brass and I say it now also.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
OFB produces:

SHELL 105 mm IFG HE
SHELL 105 mm IFG HESH
SHELL 105 mm IFG ILLG
SHELL 105 mm IFG BE SMOKE
SHELL 130 mm HE
155 mm SHELL HE 107
155 mm SHELL HE M 77B
155 mm SHELL HEER
155 mm SHELL SMOKE ER 24KM
SHELL 155 mm ILLUMINATING MIRA
SHELL 155 mm HE
SHELL 155 MM ILLUMINATING ERFB
SHELL 155 MM SCREENING SMOKE BE M2A2
155 mm HE ERFB BB
155 mm HE ERFB BT
155 mm HE-ER BASE BLEED PROJECTILE

Fuzes

FUZE FZ 104
Fuze 213 MK5 (M-1) & (M-2) ad (M-3) & (M-4)
FUZE L 29 A2/A3
FUZE PERCUSSION DA NO.117
FUZE FOR ROCKET 122 mm HE
PROXIMITY FUZE 76.2
FUZE DA- 5A
FUZE 162 MK-8 AND FUZE 162 MK - 9
FUZE 161 MK 3 M-1
FUZE PD M 572 FOR 155 mm

type of shell is direcly realted to fuses. I was trying to simply ask which shell has electronic fuse.

OFB produces only one proximity fuze and that too machanical.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

120mm
HE, smk, IIlg
Barrel diameter 120mm
Gun body long 2080mm
Total weight is approximately 600kg
Highest rate of fire 15 - 20 rounds / amount
The maximum range approximately 8100m (regular munition)

81mm
Three types of 81mm mortar rounds: M374A2 (High Explosive), M375A2 (White Phosphorus) and M301A3 (Illumination).
Specifications
Weight combat 35.3 kg (78 lb)
Barrel length 1,280 millimetres (50 in)

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Does radio proximity fuse counted as mechanical or electronic ?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Does radio proximity fuse counted as mechanical or electronic ?
Radio frequency sensing is the main sensing principle for proximity artillery shells.

The shell contains a micro-transmitter which uses the shell body as an antenna and emits a continuous wave of roughly 180–220 MHz. As the shell approaches a reflecting object, an interference pattern is created.

This pattern changes with shrinking distance: every half wavelength in distance (a half wavelength at this frequency is about 0.7 meters), the transmitter is in or out of resonance. This causes a small oscillation of the radiated power and consequently the oscillator supply current of about 200–800 Hz, the Doppler frequency. This signal is sent through a band pass filter, amplified, and triggers the detonation when it exceeds a given amplitude.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am not a scientist, but as I understand, electronics refers to the science of electrons emissions.

Electronics is that branch of science and technology which makes use of the controlled motion of electrons through different media and vacuum. The ability to control electron flow is usually applied to information handling or device control. Electronics is distinct from electrical science and technology, which deals with the generation, distribution, control and application of electrical power.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
ATK is bringing its GPS guided shell kit to Defexpo, they wanted to sell the same to IA but last thing i heard they are using some desi company to sell it inside India, DRDO is working on Laser guided Shells..
Its said that laser guided shells will hit 1mtr circle radius of the target and GPS guided one will fall in 10mtr radius of intented target.pls give a detail about using laser aid to hit mortar shells or else give a link so that I could get a basic idea as my knowledge about artillery is far less than basic.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles