Indian Army Artillery

another_armchair

Country flag
Drawings are not enough. You need expertise in metallurgy because when you increase the barrel length, the pressure changes and it has an effect on the barrel and you need experience in metallurgy to accommodate the changes in pressure. That's what Kalyani Bharat Forge brought to the table.
GCF has been making gun barrels since... ?

another_armchair

Country flag
I think us common folk are unaware of the testing procedure in any military.
1. I honestly believe that the press releases about test being conducted successfully "with all parameters met"
are lies .. I have literally never heard of a press release going like .. "xyz" was found wanting in the test so not completely successful. (except that barrel bursting which was only revealed later)
2. These long drawn testing phase is normal in any military. The american M1299 howitzer is speaking right now .. but the americans don't expect service induction before 2024.
3. I think the mango people would be shocked by how long it takes for "testing" of a simple family car hatchback .
I do have a fair idea of the 'testing' process.

Army frames its GSQR with parameters that are practically unattainable. Why on earth should every arjun tank carry a mine plough, x other modifications and add another 10+ tons to its weight and then gripe about its weight?

A certain Indian truck model had to undergo a 7 year long trial and by the time it was ready for induction, the entire landscape had changed and the original manufacturer offered a better 'version' which went back for another round of testing. In the meantime, another Indian vendor managed to squeeze in despite being a poorer performer.

Had offered a dirt cheap solution to MoD-DRDO back in 2009-10 after the Mumbai carnage. After beating the competition hollow in terms of technology offering, pricing and support contract, we were edged out after the crooks revised that companies participating should have a turnover of XXX crores.

The folks at the top aren't deeply moved if jawan(s), low ranking officers(below brig/major general) are killed because of their gaffes or plain greed. Dhanda chalna chahiye.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Before someone nitpicks - GCF OFB has been making gun barrels since... ?
Gun and carriage factory , was established in the year , 1904 at jubbalpore which is situated in Central province.
They make gun barrels

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Much good news from the Artillery side today, really a wholesome day if you include VSHORADS launch and Carl M4 local production.

Most critically ATAGS (at the last phase of inhouse environmental trials, required for any vehicle level system before SOP) trails are going great.

WTF are environmental trials ! AtAGS should not cause pollution eh ? I totally agree with @abingdonboy that this reeks of IA corruption. They're looking to bury AtAGS like Arjun, and it would have been if it were not for Modi and Parrikar and Kadi Ninda

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
I do have a fair idea of the 'testing' process.

Army frames its GSQR with parameters that are practically unattainable. Why on earth should every arjun tank carry a mine plough, x other modifications and add another 10+ tons to its weight and then gripe about its weight?

A certain Indian truck model had to undergo a 7 year long trial and by the time it was ready for induction, the entire landscape had changed and the original manufacturer offered a better 'version' which went back for another round of testing. In the meantime, another Indian vendor managed to squeeze in despite being a poorer performer.

Had offered a dirt cheap solution to MoD-DRDO back in 2009-10 after the Mumbai carnage. After beating the competition hollow in terms of technology offering, pricing and support contract, we were edged out after the crooks revised that companies participating should have a turnover of XXX crores.

The folks at the top aren't deeply moved if jawan(s), low ranking officers(below brig/major general) are killed because of their gaffes or plain greed. Dhanda chalna chahiye.
Pretty much sums up the sad state of affairs. As general public no one questions the IA, because for them the foot soldier who fights for the nation is akin to God and rightly so, but sadly we think the higher brass is also as committed to the nation and looks like when it comes to procurement the are not.

Blademaster

WTF are environmental trials ! AtAGS should not cause pollution eh ? I totally agree with @abingdonboy that this reeks of IA corruption. They're looking to bury AtAGS like Arjun, and it would have been if it were not for Modi and Parrikar and Kadi Ninda
Probably in relation to how ammo ejection can cause fires in the surrounding areas and dispersal of ammo propellant residue after a number of firings. You have to ensure that there is enough oxygen in the area and that the propellant residue gets dispersed without poisoning the crew.

silverghost

Country flag
Pretty much sums up the sad state of affairs. As general public no one questions the IA, because for them the foot soldier who fights for the nation is akin to God and rightly so, but sadly we think the higher brass is also as committed to the nation and looks like when it comes to procurement the are not.
Sad but true. The fact is if we procure artillery guns from Sweden then Army babus & MoD sahebs go to Sweden at Govt expense for meetings. Now you are telling them to go to Pune or Jabalpur instead - obviously, no Babu or Saheb relishes that scenario. Hence they create these unachievable specs & keep delaying cancelling/reissuing the tenders hoping that a favorable Govt. will come & their process of "khud khaoonga aur tumko bhi khilaoonga", keeps going on unabated.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles