Indian Army Artillery

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Other than that it is also very sturdy.
Means it's barrel performance will not change if shifted from desert of thar to montains of Siachen.
But still I'm a but disappointed.

Also m198 has a life cycles of 1700.

Maybe bofors is just that good.
Or we are missing something.
Yes, Now imagine the cost of one shell fired by the Gun.
It will be something like-
Cost of the shell, plus
Cost of storage, maintenance and transportation.
Cost of crew required to fire it, control it and associated tasks.
Cost of gun (reduction in the life of barrel caused by firing a shell equivalent to EFC) ...
many other things...

Why so serious?

Country flag

Can anyone tell me , why one guy is running with shells as well as powder ? also don't you think the gun is poorly secured ? And will this impact the accuracy of the fire?

ARVION

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Can anyone tell me , why one guy is running with shells as well as powder ? also don't you think the gun is poorly secured ? And will this impact the accuracy of the fire?
The answer is plain and simple , No .

Last edited:

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
We have 3 Smerch Regiments and each Strike Corps has been given one regiment.

We had 2 regiments of Pinakas, so one strike Corps didnt have Pinaka.

We had 2 more Pinaka regiments on order, so were they delivered?

Also that leaves 17 Montain Strike corps without Pinakas or Smerch as of now.
One regiment each of Pinaka, Smerch and Brahmos are with the Eastern Command right now.

Tanmay

Country flag
One regiment each of Pinaka, Smerch and Brahmos are with the Eastern Command right now.
Please go through this thread

https://defenceforumindia.com/threads/indian-army-divisions-their-badges-and-equipment.82320/

No new regiments have been inducted. Existing regiments have been transferred in part / full to EAC

1880 Rocket Regiment (Pinaka) of 41st Artillery Division which is a part of XXI 'Sudarshan Chakra' Corps, Bhopal has been transferred to Eastern Command (either whole regiment or few batteries)

551 Rocket Regiment (Smerch) of 40th Artillery Division Part of II 'Kharga' Corps, Ambala has been transferred to Eastern Command (either whole regiment or few batteries)

1889 Missile Regiment (Brahmos) of 42nd Artillery Division which is a part of I Corps, Mathura has been transferred to Eastern Command (either whole regiment or few batteries)

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
Please go through this thread

https://defenceforumindia.com/threads/indian-army-divisions-their-badges-and-equipment.82320/

No new regiments have been inducted. Existing regiments have been transferred in part / full to EAC

1880 Rocket Regiment (Pinaka) of 41st Artillery Division which is a part of XXI 'Sudarshan Chakra' Corps, Bhopal has been transferred to Eastern Command (either whole regiment or few batteries)

551 Rocket Regiment (Smerch) of 40th Artillery Division Part of II 'Kharga' Corps, Ambala has been transferred to Eastern Command (either whole regiment or few batteries)

1889 Missile Regiment (Brahmos) of 42nd Artillery Division which is a part of I Corps, Mathura has been transferred to Eastern Command (either whole regiment or few batteries)
The Brahmos, Smerch and Pinaka regiments rotate to other postings too just like Field and Medium artillery regiments.

Kolkata Brahmos.JPG

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
1596168241305.png

Can the Gurus in the forum please tell me if Sarang is a Gun System or a Howitzers.... since the mount is that of 130mm Guns, does Sarang reain and gun or has it been modified to become a howitzer.. ??

ARVION

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
View attachment 54910

Can the Gurus in the forum please tell me if Sarang is a Gun System or a Howitzers.... since the mount is that of 130mm Guns, does Sarang reain and gun or has it been modified to become a howitzer.. ??
Well I am a amature , my father was a professional , but I would say this now it is an fulledge howitzer System's . Sharang is the 130mm artillery gun ‘up-gunned’ to 155mm, 45 calibre up-gunning based on the Army’s tender . The gun’s range has now gone from 27km to over 36km with the upgrade . It also has more explosive capability and hence and more damage potential . This step will reduce the logistic trail of the Army as it does away with the need to carry 130mm shells and support equipment as the mainstay of the Army’s long range artillery is 155mm guns .

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Kalyani group artillery thread by Kunal Biswas
I would say that it is a poor attempt to portray that ATAGS can turn in hair pin bends. However such good roads are not everywhere and army would require a gun that can turn at 15 degrees with the tow vehicle.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
arty trials cost a lot of money, even if we take one 155mm shell at 20 lakhs, they have to fire more than 2000 shells in testing, that’s 500 crores at least for one gun and then some.
Well that all is added to the cost of the gun..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Well I am a amature , my father was a professional , but I would say this now it is an fulledge howitzer System's . Sharang is the 130mm artillery gun ‘up-gunned’ to 155mm, 45 calibre up-gunning based on the Army’s tender . The gun’s range has now gone from 27km to over 36km with the upgrade . It also has more explosive capability and hence and more damage potential . This step will reduce the logistic trail of the Army as it does away with the need to carry 130mm shells and support equipment as the mainstay of the Army’s long range artillery is 155mm guns .
I doubt that Sarangis a howitzer because the basic mount remains to be that of 130mm Gun..

Shashank Nayak

Country flag
arty trials cost a lot of money, even if we take one 155mm shell at 20 lakhs, they have to fire more than 2000 shells in testing, that’s 500 crores at least for one gun and then some.
This article states each 155 mm shell costs 1 lakh rupees

But the excalibur rounds cost around 60000 dollars. each

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles