Indian Army Artillery

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
OFB link you sent has these
http://www.ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/ammunition/fz/6.htm

Electronic fuses are being manufactured by ECIL currently, but thats under license
http://www.defproac.com/?p=6219

And BEL setup a unit to produce electronic fuses.
https://indianexpress.com/article/c...nufacturing-facility-launched-at-bel-4913016/
Thanks for links.

The first Link you showed is for 76mm Naval Guns. Those are not going to fire into Pakistan in areas opposite Poonch or Jhangar. We are talking about IA artillery guns. Do not get out of context like Congress or CPM spokespersons on TV shows.

Second reference / Link is also a theoretical article. I had given better presentation 35 years ago on electronic fuzes.

Third Links is also on “being launched” which in Indian context means will continue to be launched till Director proceeds on retirement. May be next Director will take some pity on IA.

Another member is showing photo of an American fuze.

What is on ground and what is being fired? What are Gunners Gun Bhadur and Top Bahdur Gola firing is the issue here.

Indian Army has not been given any electronic fuze as yet (except for hand grenade !!!!).

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Thanks for links.

The first Link you showed is for 76mm Naval Guns. Those are not going to fire into Pakistan in areas opposite Poonch or Jhangar. We are talking about IA artillery guns. Do not get out of context like Congress or CPM spokespersons on TV shows.

Second reference / Link is also a theoretical article. I had given better presentation 35 years ago on electronic fuzes.

Third Links is also on “being launched” which in Indian context means will continue to be launched till Director proceeds on retirement. May be next Director will take some pity on IA.

What is on ground and what is being fired? What are Gunners Gun Bhadur and Top Bahdur Gola firing is the issue here.

Indian Army has not been given any electronic fuze as yet (except for hand grenade !!!!).
Pune BEL plant for electronic fuses launched in 2017 is not yet functional is it?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
OK, it is functional and supplying electronic fuzes to Pakistan ?
Be happy !
You seem to have a problem communicating with humans...

Not every statement and question is an argument, this is a forum for exchanging ideas and knowledge. My question was an attempt to update myself.

If you are having a bad day in office, we are not your punching bag to relieve your frustrations..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
You seem to have a problem communicating with humans...

Not every statement and question is an argument, this is a forum for exchanging ideas and knowledge. My question was an attempt to update myself.

If you are having a bad day in office, we are not your punching bag to relieve your frustrations..
you quote a date - 2007 - and said they Commenced.....
I hope it is 2019 for us. 12 years down the line.
I provided a list of ammunition and fuzes that OFB is supplying and IA has.

You are asking "is that not functional ?". Well you know the details, dates etc you please tell me ... was not that an argument / question or you wish me to apologise ? I do that....

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
you quote a date - 2007 - and said they Commenced.....
I hope it is 2019 for us. 12 years down the line.
I provided a list of ammunition and fuzes that OFB is supplying and IA has.

You are asking "is that not functional ?". Well you know the details, dates etc you please tell me ... was not that an argument / question or you wish me to apologise ? I do that....
In response to YOU saying electronic fuzes are not available with the forces...

This is my earlier post, year mentioned is 2017...
Where did you get 2007 in this?
Pune BEL plant for electronic fuses launched in 2017 is not yet functional is it?
http://bel-india.in/Documentviews.aspx?fileName=annual-report-2017-18-30818.pdf

This is 2017 annual report in 2017, plant is mentioned in page 10..

2018 annual report is yet to come, I think...

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
In response to YOU saying electronic fuzes are not available with the forces...

This is my earlier post, year mentioned is 2017...
Where did you get 2007 in this?

http://bel-india.in/Documentviews.aspx?fileName=annual-report-2017-18-30818.pdf

This is 2017 annual report in 2017, plant is mentioned in page 10..

2018 annual report is yet to come, I think...
OK you are right. You are OK, I am not OK however electronic fuzes no being there is very very bad.

Yearly report or not - does not matter.

indiatester

Country flag
Thanks for links.

I was attempting to answer whether a shell can be jammed. IMHO, they can be if they have electronic fuses (hence I put the picture). Considering that we are building electronic fuses, jamming seemed like a logical point to think about.

Regarding the second link, it had this information that I thought meant we were focusing on the electronic fuses (in pinaka too)
Against an RFP in 2012 for Artillery Gun fuze the some tie ups emerged:-

• BEL - Reschef
  • ECIL- Fuch (SA)
  • Micron- Jughans
  • HBLNoida-South Korean
Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) was selected and order placed. BEL Pune has inaugurated new facility to produce at least 50,000 Electronic fuses per month and the capacity can be increased as per requirement, fulfilling all the needs of electronic fuses for our artillery, today and in times to come.
Any reason why you think our artillery is not moving towards these electronic fuses?

indiatester

Country flag
Isn't this issue overblown?
How can enemy keep emitting EMPs for every one of the thousands that will rain on them??? Not to mention timing of the pulses with the shell's arrival!!!
With the current IoT explosion I am seeing, I'm not sure if we can ignore such possibilities. Electronics are getting very cheap. Some idiot like us would figure out a way.
Anyway, if we can harden them without too much cost over run or delay why not. I don't think we are talking about scrapping the fuses altogether.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I was attempting to answer whether a shell can be jammed. IMHO, they can be if they have electronic fuses (hence I put the picture). Considering that we are building electronic fuses, jamming seemed like a logical point to think about.

Regarding the second link, it had this information that I thought meant we were focusing on the electronic fuses (in pinaka too)

Any reason why you think our artillery is not moving towards these electronic fuses?
Yes, Yes, electronic fuzes which primarily function on tx or transmitting and receiving back radio signals whether CW or modulated are subject to electronic interference including jamming.

If electronic fuze is being used only as electronic clock then it might not.

Electronic fuzes have another problem called crest clearance and flying over mountainous terrain where proximity to crest or mountains can create false signals and make the fuze to go off prematurely.

Indian Army does not have electronic fuzes so how can they use it. They have copper fuzes which gets rusted in storage due formation of copper azide and bursts before going into battle.

Killswitch

Country flag
Lets see...

Ultralight M777 155/39- inducted
Towed M46 upgrade 155/45- approved and in production
Towed self-propelled Dhanush 155/45- Inducted
Towed self-propelled ATAGS 155/52- awaiting approval (this should be inducted by now)
Truck mounted SPG- no winner yet (I'm hoping for the OFB Dhanush 55/52 since it will simplify training and logistics)
Tracked SPG- K11 inducted

Things are looking up. Hopefully ATAGS and truck mounted Dhanush are also inducted this year, then all lines will be producing. It will take at least 3 years for the numbers of new guns to really make a difference.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Lets see...

Ultralight M777 155/39- inducted
Towed M46 upgrade 155/45- approved and in production
Towed self-propelled Dhanush 155/45- Inducted
Towed self-propelled ATAGS 155/52- awaiting approval (this should be inducted by now)
Truck mounted SPG- no winner yet (I'm hoping for the OFB Dhanush 55/52 since it will simplify training and logistics)
Tracked SPG- K11 inducted

Things are looking up. Hopefully ATAGS and truck mounted Dhanush are also inducted this year, then all lines will be producing. It will take at least 3 years for the numbers of new guns to really make a difference.
Subject to Modi returning in 2019.

Pandeyji

Country flag
Impact based fuzes will be much better in those cases...
Not necessarily. Dumb fuses have a tendency to not explode sometimes even when dropped from aeroplanes or fired on rocky terrain from mortars or howitzers or other guns too. Such incidents frequently happen near testing ranges where the scrap dealers mistakenly take away unexploded shells.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Indian Army to get first ‘Make in India’ M777 Howitzer gun by year-end; it’s a big boost!

http://idrw.org/indian-army-to-get-...-gun-by-year-end-its-a-big-boost/#more-196326 .

Indian Army to get ‘Make in India’ M777 Howitzer guns soon! By the end of the fourth quarter of 2019, a new M777 Howitzer gun, assembled, integrated and tested at the Mahindra Defence facility will be ready for rollout, a BAE Systems executive tells Financial Express Online. The Indian Army has placed an order for 145 ultra-light weight Howitzer guns with BAE Systems under the ‘Make in India’ programme. Out of these 145 howitzer guns, 25 will come in a flyaway condition and the rest 120 will be assembled in India at the Mahindra Defene facility. Under the ‘Make in India’, the foreign original equipment manufacturer BAE Systems has tied up with India’s private sector firm Mahindra Defence for the completion of the $750 million deal. According to Nik Khanna, Managing Director, BAE Systems India, starting with the 26th M777, the entire assembly, integration and test of the M777 will happen in India. “We are 1.5 years into the programme delivery of the M777s. The first 5 guns on the 145 foreign military sales have now been handed over to the Indian Army. The tie-up with Mahindra Defence is our testament to our Make in India commitment. It is a complete Assembly, Integration and Test (AIT) facility,” Khanna told Financial Express Online. What is the M777 Howitzer gun for Indian Army? M777 Howitzer facts and range: The M777 Howitzer is a 155mm 39 calibre towed gun. According to BAE Systems, the maximum unassisted range of the M777 is 24.7 km, while the assisted range is of more than 30 km! The OEM claims that the gun can be used to fire 5 rounds per minute for up to 2 minutes. The first batch of M777 howitzer guns was inducted into the Indian Army in November last year after extensive field trials. Said to be highly portable, the M777 howitzer guns can be carried easily over land, air and sea. One special feature of the M777 is that it can be readily airlifted on a Boeing Chinook heavy-lift helicopter. The Indian Air Force (IAF) has recently inducted the first batch of Chinook helicopters. This means that at a very short notice, both troops and artillery guns can be transported by Chinooks to border areas in Jammu and Kashmir, giving India ready firepower along its borders. BAE Systems’ Nik Khanna believes, “This is the first time that the AIT on a very capabale ultra light howitzer which has a lot of advance material science and engineering is going to be done in India.” “It has only been done in the US and the UK. Perhaps, we can look at India as a global hub to do that,” he said adding that in the future, the company can also look at titanium castings and moulding, elements of refining for the M777 in India. “We are in talks to meet the requirements of the Indian Army and in future we may even want to export the gun to India’s friendly nations, that’s a possibility,” Khanna added. Apart from M777 Howitzers, IAF’s Hawk trainer aircraft is another flagship programme of BAE Systems in India. “Hawk is one of our flagship programmes with the HAL. We have already delivered 123 Hawks to the defence forces and are in talks to better support and sustain the Hawks upgrade for the future of IAF,” Khanna said. The company is now also looking to supply 127mm guns to the Indian Navy.

idrw.org .Read more at India No 1 Defence News Website http://idrw.org/indian-army-to-get-...-gun-by-year-end-its-a-big-boost/#more-196326 .

Last edited:

Enquirer

Found this video that nicely explains 'Soft Recoil technology'. This is what Kalyani calls as 'Hybrid recoil technology' (possibly due to IP issues). This technology is being employed in Kalyani's under-development Super ULH that will weigh only 3.2 tonnes (compared to 5 tonnes even for its titanium variant)!

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag

Global Defence

New threads

Articles