Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Data link is already present and its entering trials next year.
View attachment 116884
We have just started on the path of PGMs with the current focus being on static ground targets evident from systems like glide bombs including SAAW, it's clear from SAAW and other weapon brochures that it was never envisaged to hit moving targets, EO or laser guidance is there just to decrease CEP. SANT which was supposed to be greater than 15 km range turns out to be less than 10km missile with possibly just being nag with MMW seeker and LOAL.
Also the latest brochure of HELINA speaks of 7Km range and LOBL mode only just like PARS 3LR. NO LOAL, so no AGM with data link tested as of yet.

I think following UK SPEAR munitions like model for ground targets would be best:-
SPEAR Capability 1; Raytheon Paveway IV precision-guided bomb and subsequent improvements to include reduced collateral and penetrator warhead and enhanced capability against moving targets.

SPEAR Capability 2; a 50kg class powered missile, eventually Block 3, Brimstone 2, then Brimstone 3

SPEAR Capability 3; a longer range 100kg class weapon with the ability to be re-targeted in flight using two-way datalinks.

SPEAR Capability 4; upgrades to Storm Shadow to sustain it to its out of service date

SPEAR Capability 5; a longer-range replacement for Storm Shadow.

We are already testing SPEAR capability 1 like systems. Work on Brimstone like missiles would be a great asset though.

Some tech which we still need to prove:-
1.) Experience on design, development and proving turbojet/turbofan powered missiles. Nirbhay missile in doldrums for years with mixed results??
2.) Even on rocket sustainer powered Brimstone like systems we lag in terms of range by a lot. Comparing with Brimstone and SPIKE gen 2 will give a good idea that new gen of such missiles have been able to increase their range by 50 to whooping 100 percent e.g. spike er2.
3.) Rf data link needs to be proved for air to ground munitions.
4.) Need to work on dual mode or maybe even on trimode seekers for future missiles. Unitary IIR and MMW seekers already proven.

So, in all n all we need atleast 5 or more years.

And above all, demand from forces for such weapons to be developed. IAF was never very much keen or interested in the idea of mobile targets destruction through PRECISE STRIKES. No such weaponry present like AGM 65- low punch, ability of seeker to track, transmitting near time imagery to operator being the important parameters.

sorcerer

Country flag
India’s Abhinandan Varthaman, who downed Pakistan F-16, is group capt now

NEW DELHI: Abhinandan Varthaman, who was awarded Vir Chakra for shooting down a Pakistani F-16 during an aerial dogfight over the Line of Control (LoC) on February 27, 2019, picked up the rank of group captain on Wednesday morning, people familiar with the development said. A group captain is equivalent to a colonel in the army.

scatterStorm

Country flag
Its PCB (Penetration-cum-blast) I think.
There was another rumour going around that it would be fitted with a High Power Microwave (explosively pumped) to allow it to act like an EMP device. Its confirmed that such a device is being developed by DRDO.
Its a PCB but why its nose cone is blunt? I mean what the advantage over here. Wouldn't PCB have sharp nose cone?

Last edited:

Spitfire9

Country flag
Is this article from 2020 accurate? Any thoughts from anyone?

Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) announced on Monday the payment of interim dividend of Rs 33.25 per share, entailing a payout of around Rs 1,000 crore, mainly to the government.

HAL is also poised to scale another summit this year, with its operational turnover for 2019-20 on track to exceed Rs 20,000 crore – for the first time ever.

However, HAL has to take a bank loan to pay its interim dividend. That is because its finances are deep in the red due to huge unpaid dues from the Indian Air Force (IAF), by far HAL’s biggest customer.

Business Standard learns the IAF’s outstanding dues, which are for aircraft and services already delivered, is likely to be around Rs 17,000 crore – only a little less than its entire year’s turnover.

Contacted for comments, the IAF did not respond. However, senior air force officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, argued that the outstanding dues to HAL are not more than Rs 13,600 crore. Furthermore, say the IAF planners, it is the defence and finance ministries that are holding up payments to HAL.

Covfefe

Country flag
Can be true, the government does this with a lot of public sector companies. It's their way of bypassing cash flow management and FRBM Act(Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management). Either the government doesn't possess the cash at the moment due to patchy tax collections/poor projections/priority social spending, or they are already reaching the statutory mandate of fiscal deficit. The debt owned by the public sector companies do not show up in the Public debt section, hence exempted from the fiscal deficit calculation. The government often does this with Food Corporation of India(another PSU responsible for public procurement of food grains). It's more of an accounting hack- IAF payment delays, HAL's markup, Dividend payout (PSUs are poor reinvestors into growth, they anyway need Cabinet approval for any major investment)

Spitfire9

Country flag
Can be true, the government does this with a lot of public sector companies. It's their way of bypassing cash flow management and FRBM Act(Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management). Either the government doesn't possess the cash at the moment due to patchy tax collections/poor projections/priority social spending, or they are already reaching the statutory mandate of fiscal deficit. The debt owned by the public sector companies do not show up in the Public debt section, hence exempted from the fiscal deficit calculation. The government often does this with Food Corporation of India(another PSU responsible for public procurement of food grains). It's more of an accounting hack- IAF payment delays, HAL's markup, Dividend payout (PSUs are poor reinvestors into growth, they anyway need Cabinet approval for any major investment)
I find it laughable. GOI seems to have put a millstone around HAL's neck - and many others. As someone who once shut a business down due to late payment by an obscure research department of a UK PSU because it meant I could not pay my suppliers according to contract, I sympathise with HAL. :frusty: Good thing for the defence of India that I don't run HAL, isn't it? :) Bad thing for the defence of India that GOI does (albeit indirectly).

I wonder how late GOI is in paying Dassault. I have not heard of Rafale deliveries being held up due to late payment.

Covfefe

Country flag
I find it laughable. GOI seems to have put a millstone around HAL's neck - and many others. As someone who once shut a business down due to late payment by an obscure research department of a UK PSU because it meant I could not pay my suppliers according to contract, I sympathise with HAL. :frusty: Good thing for the defence of India that I don't run HAL, isn't it? :) Bad thing for the defence of India that GOI does (albeit indirectly).

I wonder how late GOI is in paying Dassault. I have not heard of Rafale deliveries being held up due to late payment.
This salary payoff miss was more like one time thing and vendor pay misses are not frequent for HAL(although it's prominent in other sectors like road construction, office utility purchases etc. That's why only a limited number of contractors can work with the government). The usual sacrificial lambs are the development projects undertaken by these companies- since all the available finances are eaten up for regular operational requirement. You just cannot plan a project spend without having to go thru all the bureaucracy just for using the money you (the company) own.

Dassault is protected thru a G2G contract, there are sovereign guarantees. Govt doesn't default on sovereign debts, even for the deal to be signed first payment was done in an escrow account. Government treats its own companies and small contractors that way.

PS- Poor financial management and sloppy bureaucracy leading to such screwups is not exclusive to GoI, governments all around the world do it with varying degree of impunity. The shutdown of public services in the US due to money bill blockage during Trump era, remember anyone?
That's why I am a big advocate of corporatisation/privatization of most of the public sector enterprises.

Last edited:

Global Defence

Articles