Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

Defcon 1

Country flag
F35

I have no idea why serious people can think for a second that US would offer F35 to India ? This plane is for Nato members, Israel and major Pacific US allied nations ( Australia, Japan). This is crazyness to think you can get F35 and FGFA, S 400, Akula class subs at the same time !
Really?

Please explain then why did US say that they are ready to provide information to India on F35 for its future planning?
http://www.defense-aerospace.com/ar...37/pentagon-confirms-f_35-offer-to-india.html

Why did they want to help India plan for F35 if they don't want to offer it?

Akshay_Fenix

SO our Imported Air Force is already planning to replace indigenous LCA Tejas. Shame.
tejas3-1443965230.png

Why not invest that money on AMCA or Light Stealth Aircraft....?
Hope Parrikar does something about this.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I have no idea why serious people can think for a second that US would offer F35 to India ? This plane is for Nato members, Israel and major Pacific US allied nations ( Australia, Japan).
Because those serious and (allegedly) crazy people are aware of developments in Indo-US relations.

These people also know the significance of Indo-US nuclear deal. And why US strongly backed us at MTCR is something these crazy people also know? Does it mean we are buying Avenger? I must be crazy to think that.
:drool:

This is crazyness to think you can get F35 and FGFA, S 400, Akula class subs at the same time !
List is longer and greater. But i can understand why you are feeling such. Due to years of inaction we no longer has image of sorts to make you think otherwise. Just to remind that this Mr Modi government has iron hand policy in dealing with terrorists (including state). And we need to be prepared for every eventuality that may arise, even full-scale war.

Tactical Frog

Country flag
Really?

Please explain then why did US say that they are ready to provide information to India on F35 for its future planning?
http://www.defense-aerospace.com/ar...37/pentagon-confirms-f_35-offer-to-india.html

Really?

Well I wasnt aware of this report. Thank you for sharing ! But there is a giant difference between offering info about the F35 and getting the bird ! To get it India would have to entirely trash its long standing relationship with Russia.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Well I wasnt aware of this report. Thank you for sharing ! But there is a giant difference between offering info about the F35 and getting the bird ! To get it India would have to entirely trash its long standing relationship with Russia.
Nope if India gets on board with F35 (and it won't most probably) it might just right off FGFA program. Other purchases might go on. If Russia can sell su35 to china , Pakistan India can certainly buy anything from anywhere.

Filtercoffee

Country flag
Has gripen and F-16 been tested in Indian conditions before?
F 15 has been in dog fights with the Su30s over Agra and the states, is there a possibility for the F15 SE to be chosen for bombings missions as a replacement for the mig 27?

Rahul Singh

Country flag
SO our Imported Air Force is already planning to replace indigenous LCA Tejas. Shame.
View attachment 10936

Why not invest that money on AMCA or Light Stealth Aircraft....?
Hope Parrikar does something about this.
The government has started dealing the terrorist state of Pakistan with the iron hand. In this case, a full-scale escalation which is a real possibility, defence forces need to be prepared with superior hardware in overwhelming numbers to win a short and swift war decisively by inflicting a heavy loss on the enemy. Planing for such action must be on their cards since long. This is the reason why Modi government is hasting acquisition process. As well as working for creating local infrastructure for strengthening our defence forces from the core.

As far as Tejas is concerned. Well DM Parikar did not bail Tejas by making IAF agree on Tejas MK--1A for nothing. GOI is actually trying to run multiple lines of fighters for asserting the strength of IAF in the shortest possible time frame. Tejas is not dead. IAF is already committed for 100 MK-1Aa. And once MK-2 version of naval LCA -- which is equivalent of Gripen E-- starts flying IAF will definitely order an adapted version of it. It is widely understood. For this reason, alone Gripen E should loose to F-16 IN (Block 70).

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Everybody knows what the result will be. 15 years protracted negotiations and then back to square one.
This competition is limited to just F-16 IN and Gripen E. Both of jets were extensively evaluated during last M-MRCA competition. So little evaluation will be required this time. I think in just one year all formalities regarding technical formalities can be completed. .....In fact, DM Parikar has already said they will take a decision on the subject by November itself.

It is a priority deal and by 2017 should get the clear picture. I also think GOI won't go for RFI-RFP route. IAF might just do an informal assessment to choose its fighter and GOI will buy it directly.

They do not want F-16 'cause Pakistan has it.
No matter which you select it will be just a filler. 4th generation jet are approaching its dusk. It's just that likelihood of PAF operating a 5th in near future is next to nil that we are even considering filling empty squadron with this kind of fighters.

Anyway, why should IAF not buy F-16 if PAF has it? F-16 that is being proposed for IAF is Block 70 version with has 5th generation technology. Theoretically, it should eat PAF F-16s alive. It is, however, another thing that if IAF buys F-16 Block 70 in numbers as high as 160-170, PAF will get in such psychological pressure that these PAF F-16 might not even take-off. And IAF will have to destroy them in their blast pens instead of shooting them down from the sky. Such will be the misery of PAF that their immediate rescue which is Chinese J-10 won't be able to change the situation since it also inferior to F-16 Block 70. Actually, the situation will be such that even PLAAF will feel pressure as we will have more than a match for their fleet of J-10 and we already have Flankers for countering their Flanker fleet.

They would not want Gripen 'cause we got LCA.
See with this deal we are also looking for turbofan technology for developing a suitable engine for AMCA and SAAB certainly, can't offer any. So it does not quality. Also, USA has offered us cooperation in developing a suitable engine for AMCA quite many times.

F-35 is not on offer and without the CISMOA, its not likely to be offered.
I personally don't prefer F-35 as it would kill AMCA effectively. But if the situation may arise the USA may offer us Isreal kind of flexibility considering its willingness to counter china by strengthening India.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
F 15 has been in dog fights with the Su30s over Agra and the states, is there a possibility for the F15 SE to be chosen for bombings missions as a replacement for the mig 27?
I am no expert. must say that as there is no smoke regarding F-15, probably there is no fire too.

Anyway f-15 does not qualify for this pre-RFI..

vajradatta

With Russia having crossed the Rubicon with its Pakistan exercise, maybe this is India's way of saying to heck with FGFA. If so, it's a wise move IMO.

Defcon 1

Country flag
Well I wasnt aware of this report. Thank you for sharing ! But there is a giant difference between offering info about the F35 and getting the bird !
This was the maximum possible. Discussions never went beyond this point since India never officially asked US about F35. This was submitted as a written answer to a query in the Indian parliament.
To get it India would have to entirely trash its long standing relationship with Russia.
Not true, we have been operating both US and Russian weapons for sometime now, in same categories. Its not either or. Both US and Russian defence companies are banking on exports to remain profitable and India is a big market for both.

pmaitra

Is there anybody from DFI who has submitted anything? I would be interested to know. As a matter of fact, we could have a dedicated technical thread to discuss the configuration of a single engine fighter.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Country flag
@Indx TechStyle works with some government/defense research org, I think, this will interest him.
Sorry, at least don't belong to this field. Though I'll try to find out something if postable. Well,
As a matter of fact, we could have a dedicated technical thread to discuss the configuration of a single engine fighter.
Let's use this one.;)

Filtercoffee

Country flag
Happy Dashera to all of you. May today and the coming days be evil free for our Gov and country, go 'Make in India'! Namaste.

Last edited:

WolfPack86

Country flag
India Kicks Off New Search For MIG-21 Replacement

The Indian Ministry of Defense has issued a Request for Information (RFI) to global aircraft manufacturers.
The Indian Ministry of Defense (MOD) has recently issued a Request for Information (RFI) to global aircraft manufacturers alerting international suppliers that there will be a new competition for the building of a new single-engine fighter aircraft under Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s “Make in India” initiative.
The RFI will be followed by a detailed Request for Proposal (RFP) inviting aircraft makers to submit proposals including detailed technology transfer plans, historically one of the most difficult aspects of any defense deal in India.
The Indian Air Force is in need of approximately 300 new light combat aircraft.
According to Indian Air Force (IAF) chief Arup Raha, India has already received “unsolicited offers” from Lockheed Martin, Boeing, and Saab to build the Lockheed Martin F-16 Block 70, Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet, and Saab Gripen E fighter jet in India.
“This is very much on the table and I’m sure whoever gives the best deal [will win]. All the aircraft are very capable, so it will depend upon who provides the best transfer of technology; and, of course, the price tag. It’s on the table; nothing is decided as yet,” Raha told the Business Standard.
“This will not be just licensed manufacture. It will be proper transfer of technology. Also, India will become a hub for manufacturing, as well as maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) for other air forces in the region,” he added.
As I explained previously:
U.S. defense contractors Boeing and Lockheed Martin[next to other aircraft makers], along with their F-16 and F-18 aircraft, were outbid in 2011 under the now-scrapped $20 billion MMRCA (medium multi-role combat aircraft) project by French aircraft maker Dassault Aviation, with India opting for Dassault Aviation’s Rafale fighter instead in January 2012. However, the MMRCA project was cancelled after years of difficult negotiations in July 2015.

Instead, India and French aircraft manufacturer Dassault Aviation signed an agreement valued at 7.87 billion euros for the sale of 36 off-the-shelf Dassault Rafale twin-engine aircraft in September.
Saab has been involved in talks with Indian state-run aircraft maker Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) to collaborate on the upgraded version of the indigenously developed Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), dubbed the Tejas Mark-IA.
“We should be able to start production of this aircraft by 2020-21; and in another five-seven years [i.e. by 2025-28], we’ll have 80 Tejas Mark 1A fighters,” according to Raha.
The IAF plans to induct a total of 20 Tejas Mark-I aircraft by early 2018, but the program has been hampered by repeated delays and the MoD’s recent RFI makes it clear that the IAF will not solely rely on the Tejas LCA to replace its aging fleet of MIG-21 fighter jets.
The first Tejas squadron will consist of the aircraft’s less advanced Mark-I variant with “initial operational certification (IOC),” according to Raha. “So in another year and a half’s time, we will have a full squadron of LCA’s – the IOC version,” he said.
Raha also said that the “final operational certification” (FOC) of the Tejas was looming. “I’m sure in another five-six months FOC would be cleared and production will start as soon as [HAL] finishes producing the IOC version. So we expect that the FOC version [of the Tejas] will be operationalized in an IAF fighter squadron in another three years time.”
http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2016/10/india-kicks-off-new-search-for-mig-21.html

cannonfodder

Country flag
RIP Tejas...

Choice is between F-16/Gripen. I am counting F-18 out due to double engine.

Which ever fighter is chosen it will eat in to Tejas share as no one is going to start an assembly line without confirmed orders. If GOI can provide confirm orders for Gripen/F-16 why cannot do same for LCA to private companies?

About ToT:
1. GRIPEN: Engine is same GE engine as LCA. AESA is already being made with help of Israel; so what is tech transfer we are aiming in case of Gripen? Only thing of interest is data link.

2. F-16: Same engine as LCA. We may get be some help in engine for AMCA. I still don't believe US will serve engine technology on platter to us. For 3 years, I am reading LCA is equivalent to F-16 and now we are on the verge of selecting F-16:pound:. Why can't GOI negotiate engine deal for some other weapon equipment.

Any nation would have put their money on homegrown product that was designed to work in any native conditions and battle requirements.

Articles