Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

AnantS

Country flag
Passive air defence using R-73 is not a good idea becz drone can spot air defense first and can destroy or evade it, manpads is better, and most of low cost drone flies lower altitude reducing the passive air defense effeteness. Active AD is better becz it can handle large no.of targets.
In the case of AF, it provide multi layer protection, and help to destroy incoming cruise missile, ALCM, standoff missile etc.
R-27's were in my mind. But if drones can spot you and your air defense cant spot them before , you already lost half battle.. Drone shall have much more things to deal with than these passive air defence. Remember these passive air defence shall be alongside active air defence elements. having them just gives defender more choices in its quiver.

johnj

Agreed on the drones.
This is airforce though .. All the short range AD systems are with the army.
SR SD s/ms is common for all, and IAF, IA uses SR SAMS, IAF uses bottom tier air defense guns to top tier S400 and all integrated with AF net

johnj

R-27's were in my mind. But if drones can spot you and your air defense cant spot them before , you already lost half battle.. Drone shall have much more things to deal with than these passive air defence. Remember these passive air defence shall be alongside active air defence elements. having them just gives defender more choices in its quiver.
R 27 is Active AD system, like Akash, most of the high tier drone can easy avoid them and these system can't handle large no.of targets. R27 need active illumination from a external powerful Active RF sensor from start to interception. another important thing is, drone can hide, but AD can't, ADS are easily visible and drone are sneaky

AnantS

Country flag
R 27 is Active AD system, like Akash, most of the high tier drone can easy avoid them and these system can't handle large no.of targets. R27 need active illumination from a external powerful Active RF sensor from start to interception. another important thing is, drone can hide, but AD can't, ADS are easily visible and drone are sneaky
LArge drones arent sneaky, Small drones are. Small drones need different solution all together(Radar + CIWS!?).
As I said earlier these R-27's and R-73's shall be used in conjunction with existing AD element like Akash. Who knows R-27's might be using Rajendra for target illumination? Anyway we are already using SPYDERS, R-73's based AD also fall in same category.

aim120

Country flag
R27 has the T version which is IR. Basically has much longer range then a R73.

johnj

LArge drones arent sneaky, Small drones are. Small drones need different solution all together(Radar + CIWS!?).
As I said earlier these R-27's and R-73's shall be used in conjunction with existing AD element like Akash. Who knows R-27's might be using Rajendra for target illumination? Anyway we are already using SPYDERS, R-73's based AD also fall in same category.
yes, you are right about all except large drones, these drones sense the presence of active AD, and can choose fly low or choose path to avoid Active RF sensor, bigger the drone, more & powerful sensor. IAF also upgraded their AD guns with Active RF & EO sensors, adding R73, R27 into it, improves its muli - target engagement capability Don't forget we are going to spend around 90mil US$ for a single US high tier drone

binayak95

Country flag

Not related to Indian Air Force per se, but I think this is how we conduct drills, if we have gained anything from exercises with the USAF and co
Oh the COPE series of exercises with the IAF, have been termed as the MOST LEARNING exercises ever - for the USAF.
And there's good reason why IAF does its best to exercise from USAF, FAF, Israelis,and now the JADF too.

Now that i think about it, theres good reason why all three services prefer western militaries as their partners instead of Russian.

Because Russian training is SHIT.

binayak95

Country flag
Not RADAR, EOIR

DumbPilot

Country flag
Because Russian training is SHIT.
Things like this don't make me doubt so:

They had live ammo inside the plane and the pilot put master arm on instead of SIM/just symbology..

binayak95

Country flag

They had live ammo inside the plane and the pilot put master arm on instead of SIM/just symbology..
Exactly. What shit is this. Bravado is one thing, trust is another, training and adherence to RoEs is entierly alag

Blademaster

Well USAF or NATO forces ain't immune either. Check this out:

Blademaster

IAF Heavy Freighter Problem, Part 2 – Shift C-17 Production Line to India
🤦🏽‍♂️ The line has been shut over a couple years. You can’t bring it back because some of the crucial subcontractors have gone out of business.

Aniruddha Mulay

IAF Heavy Freighter Problem, Part 2 – Shift C-17 Production Line to India
From a economic perspective, the restarting of the C-17 production line warrants an order of atleast 100 C-17 Globemasters, far beyond IAF's requirement of 36 strategic airlifters.
Now the 2nd best option is to order Airbus A-400M in numbers to warrant Airbus to shift it's production line in India similar to how they did it for C-295.

Another option is to buy 2nd hand widebody airliners from the global market and convert into a turnkey airlifter for non strategic payloads.

Joydeepghosh1976

Country flag
From a economic perspective, the restarting of the C-17 production line warrants an order of atleast 100 C-17 Globemasters, far beyond IAF's requirement of 36 strategic airlifters.
Now the 2nd best option is to order Airbus A-400M in numbers to warrant Airbus to shift it's production line in India similar to how they did it for C-295.

Another option is to buy 2nd hand widebody airliners from the global market and convert into a turnkey airlifter for non strategic payloads.
please open the link and read carefully to know what is being said

Blademaster

please open the link and read the material mentioned inside to know what is being said
I did. Even with a large order, you have to replace the crucial subcontractors, which made the special parts for the C-17s, that had gone out of business. Sometimes it is better to design a new plane than bring back an old design back to life.

Joydeepghosh1976

Country flag
I did. Even with a large order, you have to replace the crucial subcontractors, which made the special parts for the C-17s, that had gone out of business. Sometimes it is better to design a new plane than bring back an old design back to life.
these subcontractors can be developed in India it will take time which is why I said from 2035 onwards by then these guys can b readied, and seriously A400 at 37 t mot worth it and it will be difficult for to get freighter versions of KC 46 or the 747 for next 20 yrs, so instead of developing from scratch shifting c17 to India is economical and viable and as i said its the best option at hand with 25 India n 50 USA order pretty much confirmed with rest exported so making 150 to 175 is best, if IL 76 wont be touched

Last edited:

Articles