Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
#Breaking

Update on AMCA

The Indian Air Force (IAF) is likely to issue a RFI eyeing new fighter jets which will subsequently facilitate India's own fifth gen fighter jet program AMCA. IAF may start the process of inviting foreign military contractors to build fighter jets in the country under the government’s Make in India plan in the next four weeks reported by the HT. This multi-billion-dollar project to build 114 jets will be “directly linked” to the development of an indigenous futuristic stealth fighter – the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA). The manufacturer that India finally decides to collaborate with will have to commit to transfer of technology not only for the fighter to be built in India but also for the AMCA that is on the drawing board, reported.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TeamINDRA/photos/?ref=page_internal
By the way, the ADA has issued ROE to seek vendors who could manufacture 2 Next Generation Technology Demonstrator (NGTD) fighters based on the ADA design. The selected vendor will also be in charge of manufacturing the prototypes.

ADA will be supplying detail drawings to the selected vendor who will be in charge of setting up the required infrastructure and other test facilities.

According to ADA, the NGTD would have a twin fin, twin-engine configuration with vertical and horizontal tail, serpentine air intake and carbon fibre composite material to make up its entire external surface area. The NGTD aircraft structure will be of modular design having several modules including front, centre and rear fuselage modules.

Selected vendors will be required to start final assembly and equipment integration of NGTD-1 within 3 years of executing the contract with ADA and NGTD-2 within the end of the 4th year. As per the planned schedule for NGTD-1 and NGTD-2, flight testing and completion of initial developmental trials will be completed by end of 6th year (hopefully!).

Interested vendors have been asked to submit their proposal by 15th March 2018. I wonder if they have?

With inputs from IDRW

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
By the way, the ADA has issued ROE to seek vendors who could manufacture 2 Next Generation Technology Demonstrator (NGTD) fighters based on the ADA design. The selected vendor will also be in charge of manufacturing the prototypes.

ADA will be supplying detail drawings to the selected vendor who will be in charge of setting up the required infrastructure and other test facilities.

According to ADA, the NGTD would have a twin fin, twin-engine configuration with vertical and horizontal tail, serpentine air intake and carbon fibre composite material to make up its entire external surface area. The NGTD aircraft structure will be of modular design having several modules including front, centre and rear fuselage modules.

Selected vendors will be required to start final assembly and equipment integration of NGTD-1 within 3 years of executing the contract with ADA and NGTD-2 within the end of the 4th year. As per the planned schedule for NGTD-1 and NGTD-2, flight testing and completion of initial developmental trials will be completed by end of 6th year (hopefully!).

Interested vendors have been asked to submit their proposal by 15th March 2018. I wonder if they have?

With inputs from IDRW
Bhai download pdf from ADA website for more detail than IDRW links.

Sent from my Aqua Ace II using Tapatalk

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Bhai download pdf from ADA website for more detail than IDRW links.

Bro, I couldn't find any more details on this on the ADA website.

Now does that mean the foreign vendor would be asked to build and manufacture the NGTD-1 and prototypes at facilities existing at HAL? Because new infra for this project will cost a bomb! Any info on this?

Kranthi

Now does that mean the foreign vendor would be asked to build and manufacture the NGTD-1 and prototypes at facilities existing at HAL? Because new infra for this project will cost a bomb! Any info on this?
Foreign Vendor ??

I think it will be a local vendor. Anyone including HAL, atleast that's what I thought.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Foreign Vendor ??

I think it will be a local vendor. Anyone including HAL, atleast that's what I thought.

I hope so! But no local vendor as of now has the required technology to produce the NGTD. Perhaps Indian collaboration with a foreign aircraft manufacturer?

Kranthi

I hope so! But no local vendor as of now has the required technology to produce the NGTD. Perhaps Indian collaboration with a foreign aircraft manufacturer?
Would we want a foreign Vendor to sabotage the project by deliberately delaying the project ? And also letting them know the entire design, material used in the fighter ?

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Would we want a foreign Vendor to sabotage the project by deliberately delaying the project ? And also letting them know the entire design, material used in the fighter ?

Exactly! But who? All I can think of now is joint ventures like TATA Boeing that's already producing fuselages for the AH-64 Apache for customers around the world.

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag

Sjha said that the huge money will be needed to flow if work is done in Coimbatore for its development. He is correct and we have no option, we need better infra structure for amca development, it can't be done on tejas infra.
Here is the pdf for NGTD
https://www.ada.gov.in/currentdocs/EOI for Manufacture of NGTD.pdf

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag

TATA has considerable experience, a joint effort from the private industry could eventually bring NGTD with support from HAL.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Sjha said that the huge money will be needed to flow if work is done in Coimbatore for its development. He is correct and we have no option, we need better infra structure for amca development, it can't be done on tejas infra.
Here is the pdf for NGTD
https://www.ada.gov.in/currentdocs/EOI for Manufacture of NGTD.pdf

Here's the operative part from the pdf doc you linked to....

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

So yes, The infrastructure for NGTD and its prototypes based on the ADA design is going to come up at Sulur. I wonder what the budget for this is.

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
Here's the operative part from the pdf doc you linked to....

View attachment 23885

So yes, The infrastructure for NGTD and its prototypes based on the ADA design is going to come up at Sulur. I wonder what the budget for this is.
ADA Seeks approx 20000cr, SJHA said that it will approx require 30000cr for building infra, 2 TD and follow on prototypes.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
What is the lifespan of fighter jets in IAF?
And around the world in terms of flying hours?

Sent from my AO5510 using Tapatalk

Pandeyji

Country flag
ADA Seeks approx 20000cr, SJHA said that it will approx require 30000cr for building infra, 2 TD and follow on prototypes.
The guys at ADA & other labs already know that they wouldn't get as much as they asked but still don't ask for more than what they need.:frusty:
Hence proved, getting scientists & engineers isn't enough, you need some pen-pushers & management types too.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
300000000000000000000000pp00000000

The Hawk crashed into a riverbed of the Subarnarekha on the Jharkhand-Odisha border during a routine training sortie after taking off from Kalaikunda airbase in West Bengal.

The pilot, Arvind Abhisek Joshi, ejected before the plane crashed in Mahuladangri village under Baheragora police station limits, but was injured in the process and taken to Baheragora hospital, where, after basic treatment, he was airlifted in an IAF chopper back to the Kalaikunda airbase.

Former Jharkhand BJP president, Dineshanad Goswami, who is a resident of Bahargora and was in the area, rushed to the spot for help. “Thankfully, the pilot timely ejected himself with a parachute and chose a secluded riverbank for the crash landing and averted a major mishap in the area,” he said.

scatterStorm

Country flag
300000000000000000000000pp00000000
:hmm: we haven't had any crashed with this jet, not that I can recall any, so the hypothesis at best I can come up with is "pilot error". But than alternative would be "problem with on board avionics or mechanical failure".

Let's see what the initial black box recovery could tell.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles