Indian Air Force Light Combat Aircraft Tejas India's Second Supersonic Fighter

vishnugupt

Country flag
Bhai, Force give requirements, force gives specifications, force takes trial and force give feed back then what left for Civilian authority?? I am not talking about strategic weapons where cabinet committee have some roles.
Nepali army was defeated largely because of poor maintenance while we won Kargil with the same rifle. INSAS is design as per Army principle shoot to injured not shoot to kill which is not fit in condition like insurgency and close quarter combat. Though there were some deficiencies as well but now they have been rectified long ago new variant of INSAS is working quite fine

Jackd

Bhai, Force give requirements, force gives specifications, force takes trial and force give feed back then what left for Civilian authority?? I am not talking about strategic weapons where cabinet committee have some roles.
Nepali army was defeated largely because of poor maintenance while we won Kargil with the same rifle. INSAS is design as per Army principle shoot to injured not shoot to kill which is not fit in condition like insurgency and close quarter combat. Though there were some deficiencies as well but now they have been rectified long ago new variant of INSAS is working quite fine
If what you said was the case, then we would have been one of the most modern and decked out military in the world. There is no free run for the military, remember we live in India and not in pakistan, they have to justify their purchases to the civilian government. This has been a bone of contention between the military and their civilian counterparts, that is why, they want qualified civilians( who know the hardware and the requirements) or have MoD staffed with more defence personnel. As I mentioned above, the spyder deal was scrapped in favour of akash proves that not everything goes in favour of the armed forces. As far as INSAS is concerned, it may be true that they managed to rectify( quoting you) the defects but it's too late and too little. Forces have lost trust in that weapon and as far Kargil is concerned, INSAS was a nightmare for the end users and war was not won using INSAS. You yourself mentioned that it is not suited for COIN ops and that is one of the many compelling reasons for its withdrawal from active service.

Advaidhya Tiwari

If what you said was the case, then we would have been one of the most modern and decked out military in the world. There is no free run for the military, remember we live in India and not in pakistan, they have to justify their purchases to the civilian government. This has been a bone of contention between the military and their civilian counterparts, that is why, they want qualified civilians( who know the hardware and the requirements) or have MoD staffed with more defence personnel. As I mentioned above, the spyder deal was scrapped in favour of akash proves that not everything goes in favour of the armed forces. As far as INSAS is concerned, it may be true that they managed to rectify( quoting you) the defects but it's too late and too little. Forces have lost trust in that weapon and as far Kargil is concerned, INSAS was a nightmare for the end users and war was not won using INSAS. You yourself mentioned that it is not suited for COIN ops and that is one of the many compelling reasons for its withdrawal from active service.
Does that mean Pakistan is the most modern and decked out military in the world since the handicap of Indian army is not there in Pakistan?

INSAS is 5.56NATO and that round is not fit for COIN, Close combat or Urban warfare due to presence of lot of obstacles and lack of penetrating power of 5.56 rounds. It has got nothing to do with quality of the rifles. Kargil war war not lost or hampered much by INSAS either. Couple of guns jamming is not enough an excuse to say that INSAS is bad.

Jackd

Does that mean Pakistan is the most modern and decked out military in the world since the handicap of Indian army is not there in Pakistan?

INSAS is 5.56NATO and that round is not fit for COIN, Close combat or Urban warfare due to presence of lot of obstacles and lack of penetrating power of 5.56 rounds. It has got nothing to do with quality of the rifles. Kargil war war not lost or hampered much by INSAS either. Couple of guns jamming is not enough an excuse to say that INSAS is bad.
1. Budgetary constraints (our economy vs theirs, who are you kidding) but that doesn't stop them and it is a fact that their Army is pretty well equipped with the most modern gear.

2. INSAS certainly hampered the war efforts and you stating that something was wrong with only one or two just goes on to show how ill informed you are about the whole issue. If there were problems with only one or two rifles, then tell would it have ever come to the attention of the media. The soldiers would have just picked up a different INSAS and it wouldn't have been a big deal but it was and that is a fact.
3. Jamming is one of the many problems that plagued the INSAS, don't forget the cracked magazines and oil in the soldiers' eyes.

vishnugupt

Country flag
1. Budgetary constraints (our economy vs theirs, who are you kidding) but that doesn't stop them and it is a fact that their Army is pretty well equipped with the most modern gear.

2. INSAS certainly hampered the war efforts and you stating that something was wrong with only one or two just goes on to show how ill informed you are about the whole issue. If there were problems with only one or two rifles, then tell would it have ever come to the attention of the media. The soldiers would have just picked up a different INSAS and it wouldn't have been a big deal but it was and that is a fact.
3. Jamming is one of the many problems that plagued the INSAS, don't forget the cracked magazines and oil in the soldiers' eyes.
Pakistan army is equipped with modern gear is a delusion because they got all these equipment by deceiving NATO as fighting against terrorism and moreover, not all paki army is equipped with the latest gear only hand full who were deployed on Durand line
Spyder missile rejected because Akash meets all requirements of IAF. tell me why IAF need a mobile battery while their all assets are static that's why Akash was chosen for point defence which is the cheap and offers same specifications and if you remember at that time how much vague allegation was put on Akash like it failed to even take off but now no foreign missile on horizon everything seems to be okay with Akash. A Spyder equivalent missile is being developed by DRDO which is based on Astra missile
Jamming is a common occurrence for any rifle, especially in the initial stage. Cracked magazine and oil in eyes was pure propaganda
Now, let me Know what happened when all foreign rifle failed in the previous trial ?? same rifles are undergoing for trials now with relaxing criteria
One thing you need to understand DRDO make nothing until unless Arm forces give requirements when DRDO come up with the product they simply change their requirements. Arjun tank is the best example for what extent Army can go to make sure that an indigenous product shoud get rejected

Jackd

Dude, I was talking about Spyder for Indian Army, not for IAF as IAF has already inducted Spyder, what the hell are you talking about?

ATAGS is one prime example which shows that DRDO unilaterally initiates several projects as Indian army never approached do for ATAGS and instead it wanted the Dhanush guns, prepared by OFB.

Did you forget about Pinaka MBRL, didn't the army use INSAS despite its defects? You have to see the whole picture before you comment on a certain topic, I have nowhere said that IA doesn't import stuff but saying that they only buy foreign maal is preposterous.

Kchontha

Country flag
News has been circulated that tejas refuels from a iaf IL refueller aircraft.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
News has been circulated that tejas refuels from a iaf IL refueller aircraft.

bhai source please............................. as of now we new it was a dry contact

Skdas

Skdas

How the IAF carried out the mid-air refuelling trials on LCA Tejas fighter
Zee Media Bureau Sep 05, 2018, 22:43 PM IST,

A Russian-built IL-78 MKI tanker transferred fuel to a Tejas MK I aircraft on Tuesday,` the IAF said in a press release.

NEW DELHI: India's indigenously built fighter aircraft Tejas touched yet another milestone as it successfully carried out out the first-ever mid-air refuelling, the Indian Air Force said on Wednesday.

''A Russian-built IL-78 MKI tanker transferred fuel to a Tejas MK I aircraft on Tuesday,'' the IAF said in a press release.

"The success of these trials is a major leap for the indigenous fighter, thus enhancing its mission capability by increasing its range and payload. The ability to carry out air-to-air refuelling is one of the critical requirements for the Light Combat Aircraft to achieve final operational clearance," the IAF said.

The tanker was launched from its base in Agra while the fighter was launched from Gwalior. The specially modified Tejas aircraft carried out a series of test profiles including a `Dry Contact` with the tanker.

A second Tejas aircraft flying in formation was used to observe the exercise closely.

Prior to the test flight, extensive ground trials were conducted in all possible conditions under the supervision of ADA scientists.

"All flight parameters of Tejas aircraft were transmitted live to a ground control unit set-up at the Gwalior airbase, wherein Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) scientists constantly monitored the technical parameters of the mission.

The mid-air refuelling of Tejas came three months after it successfully fired an air-to-air beyond visual (BVR) range missile.

The indigenous supersonic fourth-generation fighter has been inducted by the Indian Air Force into the No 45 Squadron 'The Flying Daggers', based at Sulur Air Force Station at Kangayampalayam in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.

The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) had in late 2017 cleared the acquisition of 83 LCA Tejas Mk1A aircraft and the HAL has also ramped up the production of the jet from eight per year to 16.

The 83 Tejas Mk1A will come for Rs 50,000 crore and help the IAF which has been struggling with the depleting number of fighter squadrons.

India has also joined the select club of US, Europe, Russia and China having the capability of Deck Landing of fighter aircraft.

The LCA Tejas Naval Prototype 2 (NP2), piloted by Captain Shivnath Dahiya safely executed the first contact of the arrestor hook system with Arresting wire at moderate taxi-in speeds on location at the Shore Based Test Facility, INS Hansa, Goa on August 2.

Kchontha

Country flag
bhai source please............................. as of now we new it was a dry contact
I just share the news and enliven the the discussion because these were dormant for a quite long time, later analysis is your turn, mere bhai!!!!!!

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
bhai its the news of 4 th Aug....I think....coz the statement made by iaf is same as 4th Aug ...

Chinmoy

Country flag
bhai its the news of 4 th Aug....I think....coz the statement made by iaf is same as 4th Aug ...
Not 4th Aug, but Sept. Look at the press release by IAF. Link I had posted in my earlier reply.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Not 4th Aug, but Sept. Look at the press release by IAF. Link I had posted in my earlier reply.
hmm sry its 4 th Sept
the dry contact was done in 4th Sept .....

and iafs statement was in 5th Sept .....

Reactions: Kay

Chinmoy

Country flag
hmm sry its 4 th Sept
the dry contact was done in 4th Sept .....

and iafs statement was in 5th Sept .....
Now this is confusing........... It means IAF carried out refueling or just Dry Contact?

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Every weapon, however good may it be , has a life. INSAS was a very good rifle of its time but we should have developed a gun for future at that time which we could not. The problem lies there. Same is the case with our field gun. General V K Singh said this in one of his Interview.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Every weapon, however good may it be , has a life. INSAS was a very good rifle of its time but we should have developed a gun for future at that time which we could not. The problem lies there. Same is the case with our field gun. General V K Singh said this in one of his Interview.
You r absolutely right, I remember that interview where he said INSAS is working well as per requirements ( shoot not to kill doctrine). But if You remember To replace INSAS, Army first asked for 7.6×51mm rifle then interchangeable barrel rifle and then went silence now they are relaxing specifications for foreign rifles. What type of caliber haven't demanded by Army ??

Skdas

Dinn knew rifles came with a "Use by" date

Global Defence

New threads

Articles