India US Relations

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I'm not sure why India is joining SCO/SCO is taking in India. Doesn't make much overall sense, considering both Chn and pak are going to be there too.
:hmm:
Yes, it would be better if india doesn't "join" any camp.
SCO isn't a military alliance. It's just for economic corporation. Nor there's any sure that India would join it or not. It doesn't matter actually.
:D
Real military alliances are NATO(US+EU) and other one Russia and China. Four great powers, two two balancing each other.
And fifth power India is jackpot for both. :peace:
Which side we'll go, will have more weight.
And that's why I said, spin both sides around you till you emerge as level of entire block instead of joining any block.
They both will give importance to you. :devil:

Zebra

Country flag
That was one time deal in exchange of USA nod for $ 2 billion loan from IMF.

The then Commerce Minister Dr Subramanian Swamy negotiated that deal with US of A.

If we are signing LSA, what significant benefits USA can offer now ?
Please provide any news article / any link to support your claim.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
SCO isn't a military alliance. It's just for economic corporation. Nor there's any sure that India would join it or not. It doesn't matter actually.
:D
Real military alliances are NATO(US+EU) and other one Russia and China. Four great powers, two two balancing each other.
And fifth power India is jackpot for both. :peace:
Which side we'll go, will have more weight.
And that's why I said, spin both sides around you till you emerge as level of entire block instead of joining any block.
They both will give importance to you. :devil:
Actually SCO did not start as an economic org, but as a geopolitical org. (just like Nato+eu combo is geo-political org)
Economic co-op is an aspect of it.
And though minor, SCO has a military aspect to it which will strengthen in coming years, I think.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Actually SCO did not start as an economic org, but as a geopolitical org. (just like Nato+eu combo is geo-political org)
Economic co-op is an aspect of it.
And though minor, SCO has a military aspect to it which will strengthen in coming years, I think.
I don't think so. o_O
SCO has no militarily capable countries to tackle NATO countries except Russia and China. India be proved a great addition to both Rosters if joins. Or it can proved to be a great blow in works order by creating a third pole inside the bipolar world.
International Politics would become more complicated then. :D

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I don't think so. o_O
SCO has no militarily capable countries to tackle NATO countries except Russia and China. India be proved a great addition to both Rosters if joins. Or it can proved to be a great blow in works order by creating a third pole inside the bipolar world.
International Politics would become more complicated then. :D
Right.

Anyway from this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Cooperation_Organisation

It seems more like a security co-op aspect with focus on combating terrorism and state-subversive elements.

Their joint-capabilities in the aforementioned field seems limited.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Trump would be way better for India than Clintard and Sanders.
I'm not sure with Clinton she seems like an increidbly weak woman who is entirely beholden to her financers so I wouldn't trust her to "do the right thing" and equally the "get Modi" campaign was her doing and given Modi is the PM now I can't help but feel she would treat India with disdain.

Sanders is a dark horse, his foriegn policy outlook is almost unknown but given his extreme left leanings I doubt he would look favourbly on India and I could see him being the most pro-Pakistan candidate of them all. He's already expressed his love for the Palestinians and denounced Israel's actions.

Trump may be the lesser of these devils but I still think his "all or nothing" style and very brash nature could play a hinderance to Indo-US ties, that said he has personal business interests in India and has praised Modi openly so I think there is a great foundation already. Furthermore he has publically called the Pakistanis what they are- a nation of terrorists. That said, his extreme xenophobia is troublesome and he may cause an issue with H1B1 visas and outsourcing to India and he had insulted one of India's relgions (Sikhism) so he may carry over this predujice and nonsensical beleif in American exceptionlism into office that would be detrimental to Indo-US ties.

On balance Trump is probably the best candidate but also the least likely to actually become POTUS.

Immanuel

Country flag
On balance Trump is probably the best candidate but also the least likely to actually become POTUS.
He is bound to be the main republican candidate, if Clintard can stay out of prison, he will put her down quite easily, her entire career is a bag of lies, Sanders is the best chance for Democrats to win but Trump can take him down too. Keep in mind Trump has what the others don't by a massive margin, its will power, the fucker already talks like he is the president. Trump also has the Jewish lobby in his court, he won them over recently at CIPAC. I doubt he will cause India too much trouble, he cares more about illegal immigration. Let's see. If the republicans can stop him from being the main candidate, then its over else he I believe will go all the way to the white house.

AnantS

Country flag
Republicans have had slightly better relations with India, but remember India will be facing pressure from republican support base- evangelists/hardcore Christians. But republicans also love Business.
India will have to play its cards carefully. Only far sighted chanakyans on both sides can only get the best out of relationship(for both US and India).

Remember:
Clinton in a Bush to Obama's Trump, India policy is decided by foggy bottom, and will remain relatively unchanged for years to come. Bureaucratic Inertia, Insipid imagination and selfish interests will always reign supreme. Pakistan will surely be armed and aided as usual by US.

Neelkanth

He is bound to be the main republican candidate, if Clintard can stay out of prison, he will put her down quite easily, her entire career is a bag of lies, Sanders is the best chance for Democrats to win but Trump can take him down too. Keep in mind Trump has what the others don't by a massive margin, its will power, the fucker already talks like he is the president. Trump also has the Jewish lobby in his court, he won them over recently at CIPAC. I doubt he will cause India too much trouble, he cares more about illegal immigration. Let's see. If the republicans can stop him from being the main candidate, then its over else he I believe will go all the way to the white house.

Trump is dumb in a way and there has been a massive slander campaign against him it is unlikely that he will win, Clinton is not like by the masses any way. But its between the devil and the deep sea and they will choose the Devil (Clinton). The only hope is an independent Nominee who has appeal and the credibility to become president.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
US ready to share know-how for aircraft carrier with India: Ashton Carter

US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter today said his country was willing to share the technology for the next generation aircraft carrier of Indian Navy.

NAJI: US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter today said his country was willing to share the technology for the next generation aircraft carrier of Indian Navy.
He was speaking to reporters onboard USS Blue Ridge which is anchored at Mormugao Port Trust (MPT). Carter and Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar paid visit to the ship which arrived here from Mumbai.
Indo-US defence ties were going to be "defining relationship of 21st century", he said.
"That is because both our values and our interests overlap in important way and that happens with few countries around the globe and India is one of those which is influential and very important country," he said, adding that America is pleased to have partnership with India.
"We are working with the Indian Navy on technology for their next generation of aircraft carrier. India would like to migrate on flat deck design which has some advantages in terms of weight of the aircraft and others," he said, adding "we are more than willing to share it with India."
Carter, who is scheduled to hold a meeting in New Delhi tomorrow, said discussions would be held on Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI).
"Agreement is very important. We can do a lot with agreement. Stay tuned for tomorrow," he said.
On supplying predator drones to India to spy on Pakistan, Carters said "Generally the US policy and approach to India is about India and its role in the region and it is not about particular neighbour. We have a relationship with India which reflects today's American way of thinking".
To a question about US policy in Asia, he said, "The US approach to this region is not to confront. We have to do what we have been doing for 70 years, that is to keep the stability and peace that has allowed economic and social miracle in modern India and China," Carter said.
To a question, he said US respected India's independence (in policy matters).
"Their (India's) policy is that of supplier of security in the region which is compatible with our policy. It is inclusive one and not exclusive one," he said.
Let's see what happens. :rolleyes:

Kharavela

Country flag
Please provide any news article / any link to support your claim.
Have you heard something called Google ?

Jokes apart, please browse Youtube channel of Dr Swamy. You will find an interview where Dr Swamy himself has admitted this.

Moreover, if you can find newspapers of that era, (I think it was 1991) you can see this story.

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
Republicans have had slightly better relations with India, but remember India will be facing pressure from republican support base- evangelists/hardcore Christians. But republicans also love Business.
India will have to play its cards carefully. Only far sighted chanakyans on both sides can only get the best out of relationship(for both US and India).

Remember:
Clinton in a Bush to Obama's Trump, India policy is decided by foggy bottom, and will remain relatively unchanged for years to come. Bureaucratic Inertia, Insipid imagination and selfish interests will always reign supreme. Pakistan will surely be armed and aided as usual by US.
Bush Jr. has been the most successful & India- friendly President in the recent past. People initially thought him to be dumb, but his macho, no-nonsense ways were endearing. Bush was also quite strict with Pak. Trump seems to be in his mould and he is also a Republican is a pleasant coincidence. On the other hand we had to tolerate coward, anti-India, sanction-imposing Bill Clinton and lackluster, nincompoop Obama. Hillary seems no better. Then why should NRIs support Dems?

Yumdoot

Heh Heh, told you guys. US-India tango is not possible without India compromising unjustifiably its national goals.

They are not willing to share Nuke plant tech but are willing to share the hull design. Something that we already can do easily.

So what do the resident fanboys say now?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Basically the good news from the Hindu article is:

* No American drones(big and small)
* No American F16 and F18 fighter jets
* No Aircraft carrier joint development (not gonna happen because of cost)
* so called "foundational agreements" are not mandatory for defence co-operation.

All the news articles in recent days(saying all the above are happening) were just propaganda paid by Dalals.

This is good news because now domestic defence R&D and production can continue without external influences, which saves a lot of currency. But unfortunately eats up lot of time.

Yumdoot

To a question about US policy in Asia, he said, "The US approach to this region is not to confront. We have to do what we have been doing for 70 years, that is to keep the stability and peace that has allowed economic and social miracle in modern India and China," Carter said.
This is their stated purpose. Now how does this help India when the next big confrontation in the universe is going to be India vs. China.

Most people who were gung ho about India-US axis against China just wanted an escapist way to their own personal glory of being in the winning side. Happens to people, quite often. So often in fact that for everyone you can easily bet that the underlying motive is to avoid hard work.

garg_bharat

Country flag
next big confrontation in the universe is going to be India vs. China.
We do not want confrontation with China.
There is no certainty such a confrontation will happen.

Most people who were gung ho about India-US axis against China just wanted an escapist way to their own personal glory of being in the winning side.
India-USA axis is not feasible. USA is in NATO and we are not in NATO. We are not even non-NATO major ally like Pakistan. So we are at best a friendly nation with some common goals.

I have serious doubts about US and Indian military fighting together. However I can see intelligence sharing and logistics help.

AnantS

Country flag
Bush Jr. has been the most successful & India- friendly President in the recent past. People initially thought him to be dumb, but his macho, no-nonsense ways were endearing. Bush was also quite strict with Pak. Trump seems to be in his mould and he is also a Republican is a pleasant coincidence. On the other hand we had to tolerate coward, anti-India, sanction-imposing Bill Clinton and lackluster, nincompoop Obama. Hillary seems no better. Then why should NRIs support Dems?
Bush positive point: Flexibility on Nuke Deal. But it came after lot of CBM's from India.Be it wrapping up Op Parakaram to Gulping down Musharaf Antics. As I said earlier if India does not compromise of Evangelical NGO front, then good business will extracted for both sides.

Zebra

Country flag

Jokes apart, please browse Youtube channel of Dr Swamy. You will find an interview where Dr Swamy himself has admitted this.

Moreover, if you can find newspapers of that era, (I think it was 1991) you can see this story.
Those refuelling started on 9th of January 1991 , ( two aircrafts per day ) and it lasted up to the second week of war , ( in total about 18 days of refuelling ).

War Dates are here for you :

Operation Desert Shield (2 August 1990 – 17 January 1991)

Operation Desert Storm (17 January 1991 – 28 February 1991)

Yumdoot

I was trying to understand what you guys were talking about, for sometime.

But there is a nitpick, the refueling agreement was actually by I. K. Gujral - The man who betrayed RAW agents in Pakistan. And that agreement was said to have been kept hidden by Chandarsekhar (of the petrol pumps distribution fame).

Swamy may have closed off some points pertaining to financing part of the deal.

But you are right the arm twisting aspect was definitely there. No Indian govt., not even the Modi govt. or even the state level Shiv Sena govt. could ever ignore the M-factor in Indian politics. 1991 too had an M-factor.

Probably that is what gave the bitter taste to PVNR and that is perhaps why, PVNR kept stonewalling the IMF solutions which were basically of the same nature that Yeltsin was asked to do for Russia. Russia could not say no to IMF, during those years and you know the history since then (they got Putinized). We could say no after a great deal of difficulty and even went on to basically save the New Russian economy (in concert with Chinese mil buying spree) and I guess we did not do any bad either.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles