Idiotic Musings From Firangistan

Jimih

Country flag
No no, I'm being serious. I haven't seen or known anyone who actually eats cornflakes. Oats, sure.

Cornflakes is such a fake ass breakfast when youre from India and can eat anything from Paratha to poha
Most of the Indians don't prefer Corn based cereals or chips.

Kellogg's cornflakes and Doritos chips never saw the rise in Indian FMCG market.

Not every food suits in Indian palate.

On top of that Firangis thought that they can change Breakfast food-habits of Indians.

Last edited:

AnantS

Country flag

Kellogg's cornflakes and Doritos chips never saw the rise in Indian FMCG market.

On top of that Firangis thought that they can change Breakfast food-habits of Indians.
The quality of cornflakes is also pathetic. Strawberry cornflakes in US had real dried strawberries. In India they were simply strawberry flavored sugar coated flakes. Many of the products we get are not of same quality. The size of potato chips is quite small compared to size of chips in standard lays packet... And so on.

You should thank God that you guys are not gulping down corn starch and gelatin infused products with sugary water as daily diet since school (and literally in school). Read about kool aid. Its like Indian govt mandated distributing frooti as part of mid day meal program.

Jimih

Country flag
You should thank God that you guys are not gulping down corn starch and gelatin infused products with sugary water as daily diet since school (and literally in school). Read about kool aid. Its like Indian govt mandated distributing frooti as part of mid day meal program.
Most of the times my breakfast will be:

2 Idli with coconut-peanut chutney
1 banana
1 cup filter Coffee

AnantS

Country flag
Most of the times my breakfast will be:

2 Idli with coconut-peanut chutney
1 banana
1 cup filter Coffee
my bkfast has been varied since i was out of college (read it as - ate what was available in canteen around). coconut peanut chutney is my favorite along with andhra powder or keralite pudi. Aloo parantha and makki mooli methi palak parantha remain favorite though

Azaad

Country flag

Not every food suits in Indian palate.

For those who don't know Kellogg's been in the game a very long time . They took some 40-50 yrs IIRC before they made a profit in Mexico & that was just next door .

Kellogg's realise they're in it for the long haul which is why they come planned to slum it out for 2-3 generations for that's the time needed to change the habits of a people.

In India they struck gold in less than 25 yrs. I've had paediatricians recommend Kellogg's to my children. No clue what's it like in the rest of the country.

Further a Delhi based company owned by Sardars which I worked for a very brief period would put us up in the most cheap & seedy hotels in Paharganj for our quarterly review meets where complimentary breakfast was offered as per Make My Trip or Oyo or any of those infernal app based hotel booking schemes included Kellogg's everytime on the menu .

Just in case you think we repeated hotels on every trip , we didn't. It was a new hotel always though tbh those very same hotels catered to western budget travellers which could possibly explain Kellogg's on the menu . But make no mistake Kellogg's is gradually changing dietary habits across India.

NutCracker

Country flag
The quality of cornflakes is also pathetic. Strawberry cornflakes in US had real dried strawberries. In India they were simply strawberry flavored sugar coated flakes. Many of the products we get are not of same quality. The size of potato chips is quite small compared to size of chips in standard lays packet... And so on.

not to forget, sugar being replaced by corn syrup.

AnantS

Country flag

For those who don't know Kellogg's been in the game a very long time . They took some 40-50 yrs IIRC before they made a profit in Mexico & that was just next door .

Kellogg's realise they're in it for the long haul which is why they come planned to slum it out for 2-3 generations for that's the time needed to change the habits of a people.

In India they struck gold in less than 25 yrs. I've had paediatricians recommend Kellogg's to my children. No clue what's it like in the rest of the country.

Further a Delhi based company owned by Sardars which I worked for a very brief period would put us up in the most cheap & seedy hotels in Paharganj for our quarterly review meets where complimentary breakfast was offered as per Make My Trip or Oyo or any of those infernal app based hotel booking schemes included Kellogg's everytime on the menu .

Just in case you think we repeated hotels on every trip , we didn't. It was a new hotel always though tbh those very same hotels catered to western budget travellers which could possibly explain Kellogg's on the menu . But make no mistake Kellogg's is gradually changing dietary habits across India.
before kellogs.. mohan meakin used to supply flakes .. available in army canteens. Ate that but did not like it as kid. Started eating flakes lot during states sojourn years ago.. coz simply it was quick and I was in food exploration mode at that time.

Now kellogs are just emergency food - when just feelin lazy not too fussy about food.

Jimih

Country flag
But make no mistake Kellogg's is gradually changing dietary habits across India.
Indians are not consuming plain Cornflakes but Masala flavoured Oats and fruit and nuts infused Muesli like products from Kellogg's.

Company realised that they have to mix it up with flavours and different ingredients for Indian palate.

Again by percentage wise Indians consume less Packet/Box based food for breakfast.

Azaad

Country flag
Indians are not consuming plain Cornflakes but Masala flavoured Oats and fruit and nuts infused Muesli like products from Kellogg's.

Company realised that they have to mix it up with flavours and different ingredients for Indian palate.

Again by percentage wise Indians consume less Packet/Box based food for breakfast.
I've batch mates working in Kellogg's for donkey's years who've now reached senior positions in management. While what you say is true , cornflakes whether flavoured or otherwise are also best sellers among their offerings.

Azaad

Country flag
before kellogs.. mohan meakin used to supply flakes .. available in army canteens. Ate that but did not like it as kid. Started eating flakes lot during states sojourn years ago.. coz simply it was quick and I was in food exploration mode at that time.

Now kellogs are just emergency food - when just feelin lazy not too fussy about food.
Bottom line here is lay people whom we normally expect not to consume such stuff also tend to do so whether as an emergency measure or otherwise , occasionally or regularly.

slayingheaven

Country flag

Majority simply dislike cold foods, we need something prepared hot. And Oats/Cornflakes in hot milk is not hot food.

SKC

Country flag
Meanwhile in UK

There is a program where many city councils are giving old building to people on rent of just few Pounds per year.
Evern then many people are not ready to move into them as these homes require complete and costly overhaul.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles