IAF MiG-21 shoots down Pakistani F-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Wolf

Country flag
Can someone translate?

View attachment 33792
1) This is the enemy aircraft which was destroyed. We have captured both the pilots from the fighter jets.
(Dated: 27th February 12.05-- 7 NLI, meaning 7th Batallion of Pakistani Northern Light Infantry)

2) We are taking one captured pilot to our unit, second pilot has been captured by 658 ( Muhajid Batallion ). Over
(7 NLI Tandar area, Time 12:42 Min)

3 " One is Wing Commander Abhinandan, Mig-21 Bison pilot, second pilot is injured and is admitted in CMH (Core Military Hospital)
( General Area Barot- Time- 12:50 Min )

This is the intercept overhead by Indian Army over Pakistani lines.

Last edited:

White Wolf

Country flag
1. Both the pilots of destroyed fighter, have been arrested. Intercepted message of 7th NLI at 12:05 27-02-2019.
2.We have arrested and brought one pilot of destroyed aircraft, the other pilot has also been arrested by 658. 12:42.
3.The other pilot, Wing Commander Abhinandan, MIG-21, is in C M Hospital. 12:50.
You have wrongly interpreted the third line, it says
" One pilot is admitted in Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman and the other one is admitted in CMH hospital"

trisonics

Country flag
How I wish we had released all this information before the report from US. Pakistan's pride would have been hurt so bad they would have been running around like headless chicken. Their loud mouths would have given rise to more blunders.
Now we need to up the ante both on social media and in our press to disclose the captured pilot. Skeletons should start tumbling down the closet.

Kay

Country flag
The very positive development out of all this is US can kiss it's F-16 dreams goodbye in India - which is all very good news for LCA, MWF and AMCA.
I think Modi will scrap MMRCA 2.0 after election and make an additional purchase of Rafales.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
The very positive development out of all this is US can kiss it's F-16 dreams goodbye in India - which is all very good news for LCA, MWF and AMCA.
I think Modi will scrap MMRCA 2.0 after election and make an additional purchase of Rafales.
Nope, only this week IAF has finalised ASQR. I think they will make it public this month.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
In any case, US jets specially F-16 has zero chances now. Rafales will most likely get selected.
the part i am waiting for is how many single and double engine aircrafts?, based on some news reports few months ago.

IndiaRising

Country flag
That is the primary reason for these recent events. Lockheed knows there is no viable chance of them ever getting any future Indian fighter jet contract so they have started their own PR, right before Indian elections. Unfortunately for them, electronic signatures don’t lie. However, I don’t think IAF will release evidence because they don’t want pakis to know of their surveillance capabilities

Enquirer

Not even the US can sanitize an F-16 wreckage in the mountains in 24 hours. Just remeber the Israeli F-16 wreckage.
It's easy for Pakis.......because they blocked Internet in POK ever since India struck Balakot (day before F16s went down). Even if locals video graphed the wreckage, their phones were confiscated or were unable to upload.

Only selective videos were released by Paki army!!

Narasimh

Country flag
Not that I have a doubt on IAF or MEA. But I still don't understand why we do not give any proof of our claims. If someone can please explain the thought process behind it.
IMO the govt. thought process is that nation must have faith in the military. Our forces are immensely professional and their word is not to be discounted like the lies peddled by Pak forces. Our forces are in a different league amd track record and our moral compass has always been right. If we start giving proof of an action it sets a bad precedent and Forces will have their morale down and think that they have to now validate every action they take by collecting proof else people of their country won't believe in them. I think the Govt thought process is correct to not to lower the stature of our forces' integrity by handing out proofs.

Having said that, in time the details will be declassified like was done in previous many battles/skirmishes.
I am 100% sure PAF aircraft was shot down. Initially as some first reports suggested I also thought it was JF-17/Mirage III but when IAF clarified its F-16, I will take Dhanoa Sir's word.

Arsalan123

I am curious to see the symbol depicting f-16.i just don't understand.they count f-16s and here India saying that it targeted f-16.are you sure that it was f-16? This is getting mysterious.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
I am curious to see the symbol depicting f-16.i just don't understand.they count f-16s and here India saying that it targeted f-16.are you sure that it was f-16? This is getting mysterious.
Certain symbology is tagged onto objects on a radar as per IFF tags or RCS. Since MiG 21 had IFF tag and India has RCS of F 16 from exercises with RSAF (Singapore), tags on the F 16 target is seen.

Enquirer

Certain symbology is tagged onto objects on a radar as per IFF tags or RCS. Since MiG 21 had IFF tag and India has RCS of F 16 from exercises with RSAF (Singapore), tags on the F 16 target is seen.
Don't forget that the AWACS in use was Phalcon - made by Israel.
The Israelis have been flying F16s ever since its existence, so they know the complete RCS profile of F16!
There's no way the Phalcon system will make a mistake in tagging the F16.

Craigs

Country flag
Even signal emissions from an aircraft (freq of radio, radar, IFF, other sensors etc.) can be used to identify an aircraft (This is also one of the principles passive radars work on). This is why whenever we exercise overseas with our Su30s there are growler type aircraft close by trying to soak up the electronic signatures. Obviously our own Phalcons have been soaking up PAF F-16 signatures for a long time now.

Neptune

Country flag

It would firstly separate aircraft that have no IFF or a different IFF signal into colors of red and assign a number. Friendly aircraft will register by their IFF and be usually green or blue.

The aircraft type is probably guessed bassed on where it took off from, radio intercepts and radar signature. Maybe some radars automatically assign an aircraft type but I doubt it and many different countries make radars and its difficult to find information on all radars so this is a difficult question to answer.

Russia did release a radar image of Israeli F-16s in Syria, its basically what one would expect. Don't know if they added the additional information in the box after they release it to the public or if that is from the radar itself.

IMG_3250.JPG

Kay

Country flag
the part i am waiting for is how many single and double engine aircrafts?, based on some news reports few months ago.
If we have MWF, what's the point of inducting another single engine fighter? How many more types do they want to add to this circus?
I can't help it but IAF is responsible in many ways for getting into this situation. If they enthusiastically got involved in Tejas programme, instead of playing the truant customer, Mig 21s would have been retired long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles