IAF Mi-17V5 Crashed Near Coonoor (Tamil Nadu)-CDS Onboard

Angel of War

Country flag
Fking import lobby is already running articles in NDTV saying V5 is very safe. Where’s this benefit of the doubt when an ALH crashes?

ALH has actually proven itself ridiculously crash-safe and survivable. Rarely does anyone die if a ALH crashes

Also you wouldn’t think it but there’s ~2X the number of ALH in service as V5s yet the latter crash far more regularly and almost always take all onboard

how many V5s have crashed till now ?

Angel of War

Country flag
Fking import lobby is already running articles in NDTV saying V5 is very safe. Where’s this benefit of the doubt when an ALH crashes?

ALH has actually proven itself ridiculously crash-safe and survivable. Rarely does anyone die if a ALH crashes

Also you wouldn’t think it but there’s ~2X the number of ALH in service as V5s yet the latter crash far more regularly and almost always take all onboard

only 4 MI 17V5s have crashed since 2010

Hithard

Country flag
This won't be on flightradar. Military aircraft movements, that too of VVIP will never be registered on flightradar.

I meant only political top brass. PM, DM, HM, FM, President.

And yes, 12 helos are correct because it is a single squadron strength. Btw military top brass use ALH too which is not configured for any VVIP setup.
Flightradar24 uses ADS-B for tracking. I think military will use mode C. Only altitude and speed is transmitted. Which if receivers available nearby can capture store in flightradar24 database but cannot be pointed on map. However unless specifically blocked by FR24, if more than 3 radars capture the same a/c data, they will triangulate and plot it on map.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Can someone explain the issues with MI-17 helis and how AW would have been a better choice.
1) AW101 has 3 engines
2) AW101 is a thoroughly 21st century machine with triplex and quadruplex redundancies, for many critical systems even the V5 doesn’t have duplex redundancy
3) crash structure of AW101 is top notch
4) AW101 has EGPWS and far superior autopilot capabilities
5) AW101 has superior onboard diagnostics

I could go on. It’s basically Mercedes Maybach vs Lada

not so dravidian

Country flag
1) AW101 has 3 engines
2) AW101 is a thoroughly 21st century machine with triplex and quadruplex redundancies, for many critical systems even the V5 doesn’t have duplex redundancy
3) crash structure of AW101 is top notch
4) AW101 has EGPWS and far superior autopilot capabilities
5) AW101 has superior onboard diagnostics

I could go on. It’s basically Mercedes Maybach vs Lada
Sir u shud try the book untold story of Augusta Westland

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles