IAF Mi-17V5 Crashed Near Coonoor (Tamil Nadu)-CDS Onboard

JBH22

Can someone explain the issues with MI-17 helis and how AW would have been a better choice.
Nothing it is just another excuse to lambast Russian equipment. aw 101 is no magic carpet, you fly the risk to crash is always there. The only thing that is pissing us here is the CDS was in that chopper. If it was a regular flight only a mention would have been inserted on a DFI thread

Delta wing

Country flag
Crashed 4 km from my home. The truth is known but cannot be made public at this juncture. CCS meet soon.

I don't know why the fuk the chopper was given the go-ahead to fly into the hills when the weather was pretty bad. It's covered with mist and drizzles much of the time.

Bottom line: Poor visibility could have been the cause of the accident.

Altitude of crash site - 5000 ft. Near Kateri village. Thickly forested. The chopper was seen flying way lower than usual. Clearance 7000 ft but flying fat lower.
Went to kateri ( crashed area) , the place is fully cordoned off.. But, coonoor to Mettupalayam road opened to regular commuters..

Shashank Nayak

Country flag
Crashed 4 km from my home. The truth is known but cannot be made public at this juncture. CCS meet soon.

I don't know why the fuk the chopper was given the go-ahead to fly into the hills when the weather was pretty bad. It's covered with mist and drizzles much of the time.

Altitude of crash site - 5000 ft. Near Kateri village. Thickly forested. The chopper was seen flying way lower than usual. Clearance 7000 ft but flying far lower.
So.. you seem to say, Gen. Rawat and Wife, preferred a comfortable and quick helicopter ride , over an arduous and winding road up the hills..?

sorcerer

Country flag
So.. you seem to say, Gen. Rawat and Wife, preferred a comfortable and quick helicopter ride , over an arduous and winding road up the hills..?
We may never know their schedules and how tight their travel plans would be.
People do put a lot of trust on a system that they are soo very used to now and then.
be it me or you.
we always have a certain comfort zone we stick to...
doesnt necessarily mean the outcome is rationale all the time.

avknight1408

Country flag
TN health secretary says that one person with grievous injuries undergoing treatment at MH Wellington.
First to arrive at the scene were 108 ambulance and then army+military police and then TN fire & rescue. The location is in dense forest and the first responders had to walk all the way and carry the injured.
The one person with grievous injuries is reportedly one of the pilots. Some Tamil channels are reporting that he is group captain rank officer.

So this basically confirms that CDS is no more.:frusty:

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Country flag

Altitude of crash site - 5000 ft. Near Kateri village. Thickly forested. The chopper was seen flying way lower than usual. Clearance 7000 ft but flying far lower.
Bad weather + wrong judgment from pilot then.

It was for everyone from 1 to 13 in order of precedence except the Bharat Ratna awardees

Mi17v5 has crashed a lot... go check.
It was only for PM and President. Defence personnel will still fly in their own equipment.

And Mi-17 crashed a lot? Show me one single fatal crash on Mi-17V5 in India due to a technical issue.

Articles