HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
He`s articles are targeted for more viewers of Age 12-19....

Though some very nice pic he has..

bhramos

Country flag
All-Chrome LCA Tejas!

LCA Tejas in video game FlightGear Sim (PC)

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Maybe you have mixed up with LCH and LCA, anyways the video game Tejas looks sexy but the chrome LCA not too impressive without the gun barrel shown.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag

Designers were definetly not thinking about miniaturisation when they made that thing!
Mother of Sweet baby Jesus!! Now that is a gun worthy of being called a Booom stick...

For once Damian, you posted something worthy of being liked.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Mother of Sweet baby Jesus!! Now that is a gun worthy of being called a Booom stick...

For once Damian, you posted something worthy of being liked.
It was posted to teach me about something that was never asked to and took the conversation off-Topic. :) Btw none of them wer able to answer what was actually asked.
And these pics are available at the first page of google image search. But yes the gun is a real toy 'Worth Playing' ;)

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
It was posted to teach me about something that was never asked to and took the conversation off-Topic. :) Btw none of them wer able to answer what was actually asked.
And these pics are available at the first page of google image search. But yes the gun is a real toy 'Worth Playing' ;)
What did you ask? You wanted to put a cannon on the Su-30MKI?

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
What did you ask? You wanted to put a cannon on the Su-30MKI?
This was my actual question. From GAU-8 I meant any other better gun than Gsh-301 or 23. Just wanted to quote an example, but my BADLUCK that I took the name of GAU-8.

WHY THOSE OLD INFERIOR GSh-301 AND 23 FLY WITH MKI`S AND TEJAS. Another simple option is M61 Vulcan. So I just want to know what is the reason behind choosing those Russian guns even for LCA?
If modifications were made onto Su-30 to make it an MKI then wasnt this modification considered important? As you see in air this firepower counts a lot !!! Or the modification for MKI were only on avionics and air frame ?

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
WHY THOSE OLD INFERIOR GSh-301 AND 23 FLY WITH MKI`S AND TEJAS. Another simple option is M61 Vulcan. So I just want to know what is the reason behind choosing those Russian guns even for LCA?
If modifications were made onto Su-30 to make it an MKI then wasnt this modification considered important? As you see in air this firepower counts a lot !!! Or the modification for MKI were only on avionics and air frame ?
GSH-301 is very powerful cannon, European and Russians are increase their ammo size and cartage, For example 27mm used by Germans and their is a 25mm too, US is the only one using 20mm gun coz it does the job, Valcun is also heavy compare to GSH-301 also a single Round of GSH-30 can destroy a aircraft, Where 20mm cannon cannot..

We use 23mm twin in LCA coz it was available back in days also very reliable..

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
This was my actual question. From GAU-8 I meant any other better gun than Gsh-301 or 23. Just wanted to quote an example, but my BADLUCK that I took the name of GAU-8.
Fighters jets hardly require a cannon, they do not indulge in dog fighting any more and neither do they use cannon much for ground support. More over the Su-30MKI needs extensive modification to take on an American gun which is heavier like the M61 compared to the small the Gsh-301. Also 1800rounds a minute is not less by any standards.

It also depends on what school of thought an military follows, for example in the Vietnam war the USAF completely abandoned the cannon and thought they will not be needed any more but soon they found out other wise and they had to reinstall them. Pilots these days hardly see the target with their eyes, everything is BVR right from dropping of guided bombs to firing of Missiles.

As for LCA, it will fall apart if they mount the Vulcan on it...Its a small aircraft.

Last edited:

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Fighters jets hardly require a cannon, they do not indulge in dog fighting any more and neither do they use cannon much for ground support.

It also depends on what school of thought an military follows, for example in the Vietnam war the USAF completely abandoned the cannon and thought they will not be needed any more but soon they found out other wise and they had to reinstall them. Pilots these days hardly see the target with their eyes, everything is BVR right from dropping of guided bombs to firing of Missiles.
Completely disagree with you. You see war is not a cricket match that will be played according to a scheduled time table. A fighter can indulge in a dogfight anytime near the borders in its daily flying routine. And how helpful cannons are to a plot can be only understood by a pilot. At close quarters, cannons are preferred instead of a missile and their BVR has 0% usage. With modern day maneuverability,FBW, missile warnings and counter measures, a missile may once miss the target but if a pilot gets a target aimed on its cannons, chances of surviving are least.

And its not necessary that every time what Uncle Sam do is correct.
More over the Su-30MKI needs extensive modification to take on an American gun which is heavier like the M61 compared to the small the Gsh-301. Also 1800rounds a minute is not less by any standards.

As for LCA, it will fall apart if they mount the Vulcan on it...Its a small aircraft.
Ya with this I agree completely.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Completely disagree with you. You see war is not a cricket match that will be played according to a scheduled time table. A fighter can indulge in a dogfight anytime near the borders in its daily flying routine. And how helpful cannons are to a plot can be only understood by a pilot. At close quarters, cannons are preferred instead of a missile and their BVR has 0% usage. With modern day maneuverability,FBW, missile warnings and counter measures, a missile may once miss the target but if a pilot gets a target aimed on its cannons, chances of surviving are least.

And its not necessary that every time what Uncle Sam do is correct.

Ya with this I agree completely.
Well it does not matter if you disagree but do you know they have RADARS these days? The tower scrambles the fighters minutes in advance and mostly they r seeing the enemy on the radar before they fire the missile.

I do agree cannons wont get outdated particularly in the next chapter when Radars can not see 5th gen aircrafts then we will go back to WW2 style dog fights but as of now the point i am makeing is that pilots 95% of the time sees the enemy through the radar not by IVR.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Well it does not matter if you disagree but do you know they have RADARS these days? The tower scrambles the fighters minutes in advance and mostly they r seeing the enemy on the radar before they fire the missile.

I do agree cannons wont get outdated particularly in the next chapter when Radars can not see 5th gen aircrafts then we will go back to WW2 style dog fights but as of now the point i am makeing is that pilots 95% of the time sees the enemy through the radar not by IVR.
Well it hardly matters if I disagree as I admit that I`m not an Air Force personnel. But not everyone has the same point of view or else debates wouldnt have been existed. And yes pilots, today are completely dependent upon their cockpit computers, radars etc and yes due to technological advancements, pilots MIGHT not have to sneak out of the cockpit but the same technology that allows you to engage target, enables you to defend yourself too. And in today`s scenario, I think R&D have made it extremely simple for a fighter to misguide and dodge a missile fired upon it. Isnt it? Its obvious that normally fighters dosent carry their maximum weapon load. And not to be mentioned that if a pilot without cannons, runs out of missiles while engaging multiple target then what could happen. Either make an escape or die and become a martyr!

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
yes due to technological advancements, pilots MIGHT not have to sneak out of the cockpit
Yes, before and all you know pilot will put side-stand park the bike and sneak out of the cockpit, break the enemy pilots cockpit with a cricket bat and "sneak" back inside the cockpit.

I think R&D have made it extremely simple for a fighter to misguide and dodge a missile fired upon it. Isnt it? Its obvious that normally fighters dosent carry their maximum weapon load. And not to be mentioned that if a pilot without cannons, runs out of missiles while engaging multiple target then what could happen. Either make an escape or die and become a martyr!
Yes, it is so easy to doge the missile these days if he is rajanikanth. Usually pilot opens the cockpit window, looks at the rear view mirror and shoots at the missile with his pistol. Pilot Singam can also lift his aero plain and throw it at the enemy. What was i thinking your right Yatharth da...

Last edited:

p2prada

Cannons are for situations where you have expended all your missiles and it is imperative for you to stay in the battlefield. Perhaps when others in your squadron have missiles left and you need to support them. Other than that cannons are a waste of space and weight.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Cannons are for situations where you have expended all your missiles and it is imperative for you to stay in the battlefield. Perhaps when others in your squadron have missiles left and you need to support them. Other than that cannons are a waste of space and weight.
Don't the forget the quote

'Over Kill is under rated.'
Your wont be firing missiles if it can be done with cheap bullets.

p2prada

Don't the forget the quote

'Over Kill is under rated.'
Your wont be firing missiles if it can be done with cheap bullets.
Scoring cannon kills is extremely difficult. It is a last resort weapon because the chances of you getting killed is also very high.

The American forces have comparatively many aircraft, so they can saturate the air with missiles. Other countries are not that lucky, so the need for a cannon is greater. Cannons are needed, but not essential.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Cannons are essential...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles