HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

Dark_Prince

Its a Freakin' Garland....damn...
So What? The most important thing to be emphatic about is adherence to the time frame stipulated for TD-1 and passing it with flying colors, lets not become negative in our approach and behave like pakistanis. Great Effort By HAL and loved the design and color! All the best to HAL!

Rage

DFI TEAM
Yeah I was thinking more on the lines of when the aircraft was hovering (I realize it won't be hovering close to enemy position) or maybe landing in a hostile area. Overall the LCH is well armored and I'm sure it will have a great missile defence suite so the pilot shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Valid question Stealthsniper. The cockpit section is made of Kevlar and glass / carbon-fibre composites, so protection against rifle armor-piercing ammunition is decent. I would hope the eventual prototype has tinted windows.

Could be HF Antenna....
No matter these things wont be seen in production variants, cummon guys its a prototype.....
Yeh, that looks like the piping for an HF antenna. I'm curious as to what type of antenna the LCH uses for HF communications, tho. Whether it uses a loop antenna for tactical HF communications as against a conventional antenna. Groundwave radiative fields at different azimuth angles have been shown to be demonstrably better for the loop antenna over the wire antenna, particularly at lower ends of the frequency range. Also skywave propagation tests have shown that the loop antenna has significantly better performance than the conventional antenna at different distances and altitudes (by as much as by 8 to 16 decibels). The dimensions and radiation characteristics make it ideal to use on board the LCH, and I hope the HAL have seriously considered integrating one.

Last edited:

venom

DFI Technocrat
Could be HF Antenna....
No matter these things wont be seen in production variants, cummon guys its a prototype.....
Its the wiring of flight data analysis instrument, It wont be seen on the production variants. Its temporary & hence is done externally.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Its the wiring of flight data analysis instrument, It wont be seen on the production variants. Its temporary & hence is done externally.
Thank you Venom, for that piece of information. I was takin a wild stab in the dark, back there. So is that particular piece of piping to measure effectiveness on the tail rotor assembly vis-a-vis parameters like atmospheric pressure, altitude, AoA, lateral acceleration etc.? And what type of LRU-configuration is being used?

Edit: I should've realized there would be no reason to put the wiring for an HF receiver on the outside. Unless they were planning to validate different radio communicators.

Last edited:

venkat

Rage! i read in BR that the red wiring is cabling for the strain gauges mounted near the rear for measuring structural fatigue!!!

Rage

DFI TEAM
Rage! i read in BR that the red wiring is cabling for the strain gauges mounted near the rear for measuring structural fatigue!!!
Aha! So it was not the piping for an FDAU. It was a structural strain gauge to determine in-flight, vectored thrust loads? We have two competing theories gentlemen! Take your pick.

It'd be interesting to see a pic of the strain guage on the tail boom. If it was a conventional foil gauge or a semiconductor strain gauge, etc.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I would hope the eventual prototype has tinted windows.
Yup they'll be tinted. I can't wait to see that final version. It'll be sleeky deviant baby....

So which tint we talking? Green or regular black?

notinlove

I dunno .. , i feel the WSO whould be seated a bit higher or the pilot a bit lower , and also are such large windows really required for visibility or did they trade off some of the armour from there to reduce weight? and shouldn't the gimball be situated under the nose , instead of being over it?

also , any plans for a rotodome mounted mmw antenna?

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
So What? The most important thing to be emphatic about is adherence to the time frame stipulated for TD-1 and passing it with flying colors, lets not become negative in our approach and behave like pakistanis. Great Effort By HAL and loved the design and color! All the best to HAL!
I was replying to the posts above....they thought it was wiring.....I pointed out that it was a garland....

anirvan78900

Yeah thats great , If anybody has the video of the test flight, I will be grateful if the post the url

Dark_Prince

I dunno .. , i feel the WSO whould be seated a bit higher or the pilot a bit lower , and also are such large windows really required for visibility or did they trade off some of the armour from there to reduce weight? and shouldn't the gimball be situated under the nose , instead of being over it?

also , any plans for a rotodome mounted mmw antenna?
If I am not wrong, the pilot of an attack chopper sits at the back and WSO sits in front!WSO operates almost all weapons from the screens provided and has a good view due to angel of inclination while flying, and not in the case of hovering, again if the seat is low, it can be adjusted as they are hydraulics based to adjust height (depends if LCH has one, usually all crafts these day hv one)!!

Rage

DFI TEAM
I was replying to the posts above....they thought it was wiring.....I pointed out that it was a garland....
A garland?! No way Satish. It snakes right into the fuselage!

If I am not wrong, the pilot of an attack chopper sits at the back and WSO sits in front!WSO operates almost all weapons from the screens provided and has a good view due to angel of inclination while flying, and not in the case of hovering, again if the seat is low, it can be adjusted as they are hydraulics based to adjust height (depends if LCH has one, usually all crafts these day hv one)!!
I think hydraulic elevation-adjustable seats for pilot and co-pilot/gunner have been standard on most rotorcraft for a while now. They usually have an energy absorption connection at at least one end of the height adjuster by having a moving part in alignment with, and available to be forced through, a restricted section in the event of a crash landing. I'd hope the LCH has hydraulically-adjustable seats. One way of finding out is to see whether the latest versions of the Dhruv have them. Any takers?

Anshu Attri

Country flag
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2010/20100404/main4.htm

Light combat copter’s maiden flight a success

New Delhi, April 3
India has entered the big boys’ league with the successful first flight of the prototype of its very own attack helicopter--Light Combat Helicopter (LCH).

The maiden test flight of the 5.5-tonne attack chopper, a derivative version of Banagalore-based Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) flagship product Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH)--Dhruv-- on March 29 was termed by pilots who flew it as “very good”.

Sources said the event was not much publicised as officials wanted the first flight to happen without any glitches. The first flight was to take place in October 2008, but there were delays. The “official” flight is expected to take place soon.

The HAL will now conduct more test flights to evaluate the LCH’s at various parameters. While the company is pushing for a 2012-13 deadline, realistically speaking it might take at least four to five years before the LCH is available in the market to pose a competition to other twin-engine attack helicopters in its league of AH-64 Apache by Mcdonell Douglas, Agusta A 129 Mangusta by Italy-based Agusta, AH-1G Huey Cobra from the Bell stable and the Russian-made Mi-35, which the IAF is already operating.

“The LCH needs several hours of in-flight testing before it receives the final operation certificate and may join fleet of Indian Defence Service only around 2014-15,” sources said.

Both Army and IAF have heavily invested in the project and the company has a firm order of 189.

At present the only attack helicopters available with the IAF are Russian-made Mi-25 and Mi-35, which are not optimised for operations at high altitude.

Aviation experts say if during Kargil war which was fought at very high altitude, the LCH was operational, the scenario would have been very different.

The Shakti engine being used in the LCH has been jointly developed by the HAL and Turbomeca of France with primary focus on high-altitude operations.

It is expected to meet operational requirements like air support, anti-infantry and anti-armour roles. The rotor system has also been developed indigenously.

The twin-engine LCH is a pure attack helicopter made by the design experience gained from the Dhruv.

Currently around 100 Dhruv helicopters are being used by the Indian armed forces and paramilitary forces like the Coast Guard and the BSF, civil operators like Pawan Hans and the ONGC, and state governments like Jharkhand. Dhruv is also being used by foreign countries like Ecuador, Nepal, Mauritius and Male.

Though LCH is derived from Dhruv, there are differences in design. While in Dhruv, pilots sit side-by-side, in the LCH they sit one behind the other. All flight controls, hydraulics and fuel system have been redesigned for the sleeker, heavily armoured LCH.

chackojoseph

Defence Analyst
From Tribune India

The maiden test flight of the 5.5-tonne attack chopper...

The first flight was to take place in October 2008, but there were delays.

The HAL will now conduct more test flights to evaluate the LCH’s at various parameters. While the company is pushing for a 2012-13 deadline, realistically speaking it might take at least four to five years before the LCH is available in the market

“The LCH needs several hours of in-flight testing before it receives the final operation certificate and may join fleet of Indian Defence Service only around 2014-15,” sources said.

Both Army and IAF have heavily invested in the project and the company has a firm order of 189.

At present the only attack helicopters available with the IAF are Russian-made Mi-25 and Mi-35, which are not optimised for operations at high altitude.

Aviation experts say if during Kargil war which was fought at very high altitude, the LCH was operational, the scenario would have been very different.

The Shakti engine being used in the LCH has been jointly developed by the HAL and Turbomeca of France with primary focus on high-altitude operations.

It is expected to meet operational requirements like air support, anti-infantry and anti-armour roles. The rotor system has also been developed indigenously.

The twin-engine LCH is a pure attack helicopter made by the design experience gained from the Dhruv.

Agantrope

I have doubt reg the LCH, All the most of the components are from the ALH Dhruv and the weaponised is doing the test and it might be still useful for the LCH. It is combat helicopter, Does it that much time to make from proven platform? 2014-2015 is way too far it seems

Rage

DFI TEAM
I need real pic of our LCH (not artistic), Please post any pic.
What's wrong with you? Browse through this thread, dude, for "real pics".

Agantrope said:
I have doubt reg. the LCH, All or most of the components are from the ALH Dhruv and the weaponised is doing the test and it might still be useful for the LCH. It is combat helicopter, Does it take that much time to make from proven platform? 2014-2015 is way too far it seems.
"Planned induction" is by late 2013. 2014-15 is factoring in all the delays that might occur, as is want to happen in our country. Bell Helicopter's AH-1 Cobra, which shares a common engine, transmission and rotor system with the older UH-1 Iroquois, took 4 years to go from concept to demonstrator, and another six years to test weapons and fit of equipment, after which it reached modified production standards of the AH-1 by the early 1970s. I'd say a 2006-2014 time frame for the HAL LCH ain't a bad bet.

Chota

Our success is a secret

By Anantha Krishnan M.
Posted On Wednesday, March 31, 2010 at 11:53:32 PM

It was one flight that every aviation aficionado was waiting for for years. It was one flight that desi bloggers wrote about non-stop the willit and wont-it stuff.

And when the moment finally arrived, its makers chose to keep the matter under cover. In an era of communication revolution and RTI, heres a bunch of babus, choosing to be frogs in the well.

Literally! You are tuned into Bengaluru the Aviation Capital of India!

After months of speculation, delays and teething problems, the much-hyped version of Indias light and not-so-late flying machine kissed the skies for the first time in Bangalore on Monday (March 29).

Made by the Navaratna giant Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), this metal bird, christened the Light Combat Helicopter (LCH), hovered around a highly restricted airspace for just under 30 minutes.

The flight also put to rest the machine’s flab-issues, at least for now.

According to insiders, the maiden flight of the trim n slim LCH was the result of untiring efforts of hundreds of engineers and designers, who ensured that the machine didn’t miss its date with this fiscal year.

HAL managed to keep all proceedings under wraps and barring one national daily, none had any clue.

Surprisingly, late on Tuesday evening, HAL issued a release which did not say anything significant about the first flight, barring the visuals.

Post-Kargil decision
The LCH project was conceived by former IAF chief Air Chief Marshal (Retd) Srinivasapuram Krishnaswami post-Kargil as both the Indian Army and the Air Force felt the need for a swift and sure, light and lethal flying platform tailor-made for high-altitude operations.

Krishnaswami’s signals were picked up by former HAL chairman Ashok K. Baweja, who inspired his team to hit the drawing board. Thankfully, LCH had a proven platform in ALH to emulate, barring some design and cockpit modifications.

Mondays maiden flight, according to insiders — including security staff, gate-keepers, shop-floor employees and some designers—was a perfect one. The flight lasted less than 30 minutes.

The pilot, after an extended hover session, got on to a slow-speed cyclic manoeuvre routine, at a height of around 20-25 metres. HAL’s Chief Test Pilot (Rotary Wing) Wg Cdr Unni Pillai piloted the LCH, closely watched by many in-house biggies.

He expressed happiness and felt great handling the machine. No surprises were reported and no major parameters were there to be checked,” insiders said.

More than the tension in the air, the real drama was on the ground. Close to 2,000 HAL employees were witness to this secret flight of a giant PSU.

No official photograph/video or any release was made available to the media. Those assembled close to the Helicopter Divisions exclusive tarmac area clicked at will, using their mobile phones and cameras.

Details of LCH’s secret flight was the hot topic of discussion, with the lucky ones flashing their mobiles with still and action shots.

Stand-alone achievement
Sadly, LCHs maiden flight is the only stand-alone achievement that HAL could boast in the last one year, barring some all-is-well handshake pacts and photo-ops.

If the usually-split top brass is to be believed, the health of the company is sinking with production figurers plummeting and all projects running way behind the schedule.Insiders attribute Srinivasans man-managing skills to the success of LCH flight, after the morale of the HAL chopper team hit an all-time low following ALH crashes in India and Ecuador.

For the record, HAL has already bagged an order to deliver 179 LCHs to the Army and the IAF. LCH’s armaments and sensors are already being tested on the ALH WSI version.

Time to work together
Asked to comment on LCHs maiden flight, former IAF chief S Krishnaswami said: To me, LCH is a minimal risk venture, considering the fact that it has the proven dynamics of ALH, including the weapons.

Now, everybody should work together and make it fly for the Forces at the earliest. Considering the time and cost over-runs generally associated with HAL’s programmes, it’s high time that such a proven platform is put right on the track,” he said.

Former HAL chairman Ashok Baweja felt the success of LCH would depend on the quick certification of the machine.

“The second prototype has to be made available quickly so that certification becomes faster with two machines flying.

I hope the improvised gear box will also be ready soon which will then give LCH a better control margin,” the man, credited with the success of the Dhruv chopper, said.

It’s now a billon-dollar question whether the positives from the maiden LCH flight will bring the much-needed Lady Luck to the company’s shaky state of affairs. Watch this space on more on that!

Our success is a secret

acmoghe

This is really an awesome beast!!!

So far,this project has shaped up really well. (except for a few issues like weight which is almost a routine in aviation projects worldwide!) Also with the amount of reserve power available this is going to pack quite a heavy punch!

However, weapons and defensive aids will be the most important determinants in it's performance. Regarding this I've a few questions for gurulog here.

1. What is the current status of helina?

2.Has there been any progress in searching partner for developing DIRCM? Success in deploying this technology will substantially increase the survivability of this platform against MANPADS.

Thaks in advance.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles