HAL Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) and Light Observation Helicopter (LOH)

abingdonboy

Country flag
With its range, folding rotor, dual engine and overall length, Ka-226 is stronger contender for NUH.
Than the Panther? Haha.

Have you read the RFI? The 226 has not demonstrated a single one of the capabilities the IN has asked for- no torpedo launch, no maritime radar, not even a FLIR or CMS to date! Panther is a mature fully developed maritime helicopter, no one- NO ONE- operates the KA226 in the maritime domain like the navy wants.

The best candidate remains the ALH but Panther is a close second. KA226 is a joke for this role. The only way it happens is if PMO intervenes and gifts deal to Russians (could happen- same happed with RSH) but KA226 will never win on technical merit.

abingdonboy

Country flag

Can the LUH reach Siachen Glacier and be a replacement for the Chetak and Cheetah fleet. How much load can it carry to Siachen in comparison to the Chetah heli. What is the current import content by volume and value and are we working on replacing imported components by indigenous stuff. How does the flyaway cost of the LUH compare with similar helis in world. Will the LUH be export competitive.
Not only can it do that, it is specifically designed for that, just like the LCH and ALH. It’s a unique capability that no other helo in its class can even get close to matching.

This is from business standard article.
Seems Russia is offering 200 kamov +111 for navy as a bundle with total price as 3 billion USD.

Each Heli then costs about 9-10 million USD.

What will be the pricing of luh any idea?
The more I think about it the more ridiculous this list gets. Where is the T90? Or the follow on MI17V5 deal that the IAF is definitely interested in (unlike the KA226)?

It’s a haphazard list likely based from information of Russian arm agents.

Last edited:

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
Not only can it do that, it is specifically designed for that, just like the LCH and ALH. It’s a unique capability that no other helo in ira class can even get close to matching.

The more I think about it the more ridiculous this list gets. Where is the T90? Or the follow on MI17V5 deal that the IAF is definitely interested in (unlike the KA226)?

It’s a haphazard list likely based from information of Russian arm agents.
Can you please elaborate on LUH Capabilities?

Shadow

Country flag
Is this enough for FOC or are there more left to prove?

WolfPack86

Country flag
I am glad that HAL LUH successful trials I hope Indian army orders huge number. Indian police force also order this LUH.

abingdonboy

Country flag
What are FOC related demands??
Any idea..
I would imagine FOC is only given after LSP

I am glad that HAL LUH successful trials I hope Indian army orders huge number. Indian police force also order this LUH.
Can NDRFs get these?or CRPF for Naxal ops?
No doubt about the it economical LUH (about 60% the cost of the ALH) has great scope for CAPFs and state police forces as their budgets massively increase over the next decade.

There’s HUGE market for a 3ton single engine helo in every role you can imagine, just look at how EC135 is used across the west.

Deathstar

Country flag

No doubt about the it economical LUH (about 60% the cost of the ALH) has great scope for CAPFs and state police forces as their budgets massively increase over the next decade.

There’s HUGE market for a 3ton single engine helo in every role you can imagine, just look at how EC135 is used across the west.
Can we export it too?like Africa or South America , Helis have a good market base. Hope we get our shit together

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

I remember reading somewhere that LUH will only have one operational clearance certificate unlike Tejas...

Others can confirm...

Chinmoy

Country flag
Than the Panther? Haha.

Have you read the RFI? The 226 has not demonstrated a single one of the capabilities the IN has asked for- no torpedo launch, no maritime radar, not even a FLIR or CMS to date! Panther is a mature fully developed maritime helicopter, no one- NO ONE- operates the KA226 in the maritime domain like the navy wants.

The best candidate remains the ALH but Panther is a close second. KA226 is a joke for this role. The only way it happens is if PMO intervenes and gifts deal to Russians (could happen- same happed with RSH) but KA226 will never win on technical merit.
Neither LUH have shown that. Obviously as per report IN is not going with Ka-226 for ASW role. But on ytility part, its modular design gives enough flexibility for operator.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Neither LUH have shown that. Obviously as per report IN is not going with Ka-226 for ASW role. But on ytility part, its modular design gives enough flexibility for operator.
Read the RFI for NUH, it asks for the capability to have some ASW capability so it has to have LWTs and maritime radar. KA226 hasn’t been configured for that once.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles