HAL Advanced Light Helicopter Dhruv

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Okay, that is a direct confirmation, seems like TOIlet paper lied. However, I think they should be grounded and investigated for critical issues. It is clear the crash was not the pilot's mistake but was instead technical.
I understand 0 about these things but could it be that they were flying super low over a jungle and got into crash after hitting something?

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Okay, that is a direct confirmation, seems like TOIlet paper lied. However, I think they should be grounded and investigated for critical issues. It is clear the crash was not the pilot's mistake but was instead technical.
IMO until the investigation is done, there is no point resorting to such measures. If there is something genuinely wrong that affects the whole fleet, then there is a case for Groundiing the whole ALH fleet. As of now it’s a bit premature. Let the investigators do their job.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
I understand 0 about these things but could it be that they were flying super low over a jungle and got into crash after hitting something?
The pilot made mayday call to ATC before the crash. Mayday call means the pilot was already aware of some life-threatening situation, possibly a technical malfunction.

IMO until the investigation is done, there is no point resorting to such measures. If there is something genuinely wrong that affects the whole fleet, then there is a case for Groundiing the whole ALH fleet. As of now it’s a bit premature. Let the investigators do their job.
I think you are correct. We cannot afford, especially the army to ground the whole ALH fleet as it constitutes the backbone for light transport. Still, even in ALH, Rudra is especially troublesome. I remember the ALH Rudra crash in the Ranjit Sagar lake last year during this time.

Its standard SoP is to ground the entire fleet to check for threatening snags. For example, Russia grounded its entire fleet of its Mig-29s after they found structural issues with it. More recently, America grounded the entire world's Chinook fleet.

omaebakabaka

In what condition are u talking about? If it's about service ceiling Apaches can operate about 6100m while Dhruv can operate upto 6000m. If it's about terrain Apache do operate in different terrains in different parts of the world, for fuck sake even India operates them in China border. We already know their crash rate, it's available in public domain.
US has been building them far longer than us....failures and losses are part of the process.....as long as maintenance is done as per manufacturer recommendations so pilots lives are taken seriously. Can't have idiots under quotas working in responsible jobs like any aircraft maintenance.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag

GigaChadBharatiya

Country flag
The pilot made mayday call to ATC before the crash. Mayday call means the pilot was already aware of some life-threatening situation, possibly a technical malfunction.

I think you are correct. We cannot afford, especially the army to ground the whole ALH fleet as it constitutes the backbone for light transport. Still, even in ALH, Rudra is especially troublesome. I remember the ALH Rudra crash in the Ranjit Sagar lake last year during this time.

Its standard SoP is to ground the entire fleet to check for threatening snags. For example, Russia grounded its entire fleet of its Mig-29s after they found structural issues with it. More recently, America grounded the entire world's Chinook fleet.
You yourself said it.
Russia grounded the fleet *after* they found the structural issue.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
You yourself said it.
Russia grounded the fleet *after* they found the structural issue.
Ah, you are so smart. After all, you caught me in my own words with your superior English comprehension skills and a complete lack of understanding of the aviation industry.

Keywords - "Grounded" "To investigate"

Keywords - "Grounded" "After crash"

Keywords - "Grounded" "Safety concerns"

Keywords - "Grounded" "After accident" "Investigations underway"

SKC

Country flag
Considering only around 350 Dhruvs have been built so far, the crash record is pretty bad. Including today's one, thats

View attachment 177847

Thats a 5% crash rate. Whats a common crash rate for other helicopters out there?
Helicopters usually fare badly with crashes. I think Helis would be more crash prone than other aircrafts.

Last edited:

AVAST

Country flag
Helicopters usually fare badly with crashes. I think Helis would be more crash prone than other aircrafts.
They got more moving parts. A single component fails and you're done for as they are not redundant like a fixed wing. The gearbox is the main culprit always that consumes oil like water. They also take off and land more often.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Alh rudra firing gun at 14000ft
These are from the 257 Squadron.

Till date publicly confirmed squadrons of Rudra in Army service are:-
251, 252, 254 and 257.

Going by squadron numbers and the fact that all these squadrons are newly raised for the Rudra itself, I am guessing Rudra squadrons are all numbered sequentially starting from 251 and upto 257 at least. @mist_consecutive @aditya g @jamwal @Tanmay @Angel of War @abingdonboy do we have any confirmation of the existence of following squadrons of Rudra:-
253, 255, 256, 258?

Does anyone know how many Rudra total are in Army service or how many have been ordered? Assuming Rudra squadrons were raised sequentially from 251-257 and knowing that each Army Aviation Corps Squadron has 10 helicopters, total Rudra in Army service must be at least 70.

And then in the air force there is a single Rudra Helicopter Unit with 15 Rudras in service. That takes total number of Rudra produced till date to at least 86.

We know Air Force was thinking about ordering three more HU worth, so that would be around 45 more Rudras. Has Army given any indication of how many more Rudra they are planning to order?

Would be good if we had an official statement on the number of Rudra produced till date. I've looked for a figure but even in HAL annual reports there is no firm figure of total ALH-WSI/Rudra produced till date. They've just given a consolidated figure for all ALH variants.

jamwal

Country flag
If our armed forces has kept the numbers vague, then keep them vague. No need to make the job easier for enemies.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Defence ministry approves capital procurement proposals worth Rs 4,276 cr
The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), at its meeting on Tuesday, okayed the ‘need to procure’ procure 500 HELINA missiles for an anti-tank role and very short range air defence VSHORAD missile for the northern borders with China.

The ‘need to procure’ is termed as Acceptance of Necessity (AoN) of the said equipment. The AoN is the first step in the acquisition process of the MoD and is like a green light to the forces to frame the tenders for procurement. The DAC chaired by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh.

Three acquisition proposals, amounting to Rs 4,276 crore, have been accorded an AoN, the Ministry of Defence said.

The DAC accorded AoN for procurement of HELINA anti-tank guided missiles, launchers and associated support equipment which will be integrated to the Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH). This missile is an essential part of weaponisation of ALH for countering enemy threat. Its induction will strengthen the offensive capability of Indian Army, The LCH has been inducted in the Indian Air Force and Army.

DAC also accorded AoN for procurement of VSHORAD (IR Homing) missile system under design and development by DRDO. In view of the recent developments along the Northern borders there is a need to focus on effective Air Defence (AD) weapon systems which are man portable and can be deployed quickly in rugged terrain and maritime domain.

“Procurement of VSHORAD, as a robust and quickly deployable system, will strengthen the Air Defence capabilities,” the MoD said.

The DAC granted approval for procurement of Brahmos Missile launcher and fire control system (FCS) for the Shivalik class of ships and Next Generation Missile Vessels (NGMVs) for Indian Navy. With their induction, these ships would have enhanced capability of carrying out maritime strike operations, interdicting and destroying enemy’s warships and merchant vessels.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles