GEO Imaging Satellite (GISAT)

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
I am smelling sabotage again. But I think it's time Dr. K Sivan resigned. From people I know who worked at ISRO, K Sivan is such an workaholic and a minute manager. He might be good for tech roles, but leadership is different.

Even if it's sabotage, it's ISRO responsibility to be secure it's network and supply chain. Americans might be behind it again. If the supply chain is an issue, then change them. GSLV Mk2 is supposed to be an operational vehicle. Or retire Mk2 and concentrate on mk3 alone.

Mantospace

Country flag
Launch failed, unfortunately. And the sad thing is the cryogenic stage failed. Meaning we don't have mastery of the cryogenic stage at all. This was supposed to be a routine launch.
I dont think ISRO is capable of executing heavy launches and advanced programs if they cannot master cryogenic. I think this will delay the human space flight program even more. A very critical satellite needed for border surveillance of PLA activity also got destroyed. Dr. K. Sivan must take responsibility and resign. He was unable to lead ISRO and has put India in a very bad position.
ISRO better reform and bring in very good talent or get left behind. We are falling greatly behind China. Not good.
I saw the people in the control room trying to hide things. Look at NASA - they are open and transparent even if launches fail. Very unprofessional and defensive behavior. Not good for the country.
PM Modi and Jitendra Singh must bring changes to ISRO. Top Indian talent from NASA and other companies must be attracted to work/lead ISRO to take it to greater heights.
Failure is a failure no doubt. But space is risky. Even china and spacex also experincing failures. Just u cant we didnt master cus engines. Failures happen may be internal sabotag or relax in quaility checks due to covid.

Mantospace

Country flag
I am smelling sabotage again. But I think it's time Dr. K Sivan resigned. From people I know who worked at ISRO, K Sivan is such an workaholic and a minute manager. He might be good for tech roles, but leadership is different.

Even if it's sabotage, it's ISRO responsibility to be secure it's network and supply chain. Americans might be behind it again. If the supply chain is an issue, then change them. GSLV Mk2 is supposed to be an operational vehicle. Or retire Mk2 and concentrate on mk3 alone.
right it seems internal sabotag.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
Failure is a failure no doubt. But space is risky. Even china and spacex also experincing failures. Just u cant we didnt master cus engines. Failures happen may be internal sabotag or relax in quaility checks due to covid.
But this was supposed to be a routine launch of a medium sized payload on a 'proven' cryogenic engine. In fact the configuration was much simpler than GSLV Mk3. This is a leadership failure through and through and heads have to roll. And this happens just before independence day when the country asserts its strength in technology. Looks bad, looks very very bad. They should have launched it after Aug 15 if they had even a little bit of doubt. Very bad decision by leadership to launch just before Aug 15. Dr. Sivan is making mistakes after mistakes. He and a few top leaders in ISRO must simply go. Accountability is a must. If this were commie China, the CCP would probably send them to jail or exile them to inner mongolia. In our case, we need to at least hold them accountable. Business as usual would totally hurt ISRO and our confidence as a nation.

Mantospace

Country flag
But this was supposed to be a routine launch of a medium sized payload on a 'proven' cryogenic engine. In fact the configuration was much simpler than GSLV Mk3. This is a leadership failure through and through and heads have to roll. And this happens just before independence day when the country asserts its strength in technology. Looks bad, looks very very bad. They should have launched it after Aug 15 if they had even a little bit of doubt. Very bad decision by leadership to launch just before Aug 15. Dr. Sivan is making mistakes after mistakes. He and a few top leaders in ISRO must simply go. Accountability is a must. If this were commie China, the CCP would probably send them to jail or exile them to inner mongolia. In our case, we need to at least hold them accountable. Business as usual would totally hurt ISRO and our confidence as a nation.
No doubt in that. Govt must secure supply chain or either cut off private involvement in strategic missions. Now look , when will happen next launch. But it seems sabotag may be US dont want dis capability in our hand.

Question how Isro will move to next level. Its already 60years still isro dont hv heavy launch vehicles.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Comparing it with Spacex is futile as it's a new org. ISRO should be few steps ahead of them.

But even if it's sabotage again, the leadership should expect that. Either from Americans or even the Chinese. The worse thing is even if sabotage is detected, we won't know the truth.

hawwk

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Comparing it with Spacex is futile as it's a new org. ISRO should be few steps ahead of them.

But even if it's sabotage again, the leadership should expect that. Either from Americans or even the Chinese. The worse thing is even if sabotage is detected, we won't know the truth.
bruh Spacex is showering money to the scientists.
Also haven't we tested our cryo engine beforehand?

Mantospace

Country flag

Spacex has lot of money, in launch vehicls they r well ahead of us.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
Or external. I smell Americans though I am not sure why Mk2 will be targetted. Mk3 uses an different but Indian designed engine and it is quite flawless.
i am not sure why Amerians would sabotage ISRO as SpaceX is working well for them. They just handed over a billion dollar contract for heavy launches to the ISS to SpaceX (they used Soyuz before).
I think this is just ISRO's incompetence. Failing a launch three days before independence day will totally tarnish ISRO's image. Bad choice for a launch date. There is no smoke without fire. Reform ISRO or be happy with a second rate space agency.

Mantospace

Country flag
i am not sure why Amerians would sabotage ISRO as SpaceX is working well for them. They just handed over a billion dollar contract for heavy launches to the ISS to SpaceX (they used Soyuz before).
I think this is just ISRO's incompetence. Failing a launch three days before independence day will totally tarnish ISRO's image. Bad choice for a launch date. There is no smoke without fire. Reform ISRO or be happy with a second rate space agency.
Qstn is hw isro will move to next level space stations, human space travel, planetry missions ?

Lost user

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
No doubt in that. Govt must secure supply chain or either cut off private involvement in strategic missions. Now look , when will happen next launch. But it seems sabotag may be US dont want dis capability in our hand.

Question how Isro will move to next level. Its already 60years still isro dont hv heavy launch vehicles.
Blaming Sabotage is the easy way out.. The problem was with the cryogenic stage not igniting.. Now, this is an area where ISRO has faced problems before..

Lost user

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
It's ISRO's incompetence.. As DRDO is regaining its MOJO... ISRO is slipping.. First the twice delayed launch, now this.. Also, hardly any launches during the pandemic..

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
Qstn is hw isro will move to next level space stations, human space travel, planetry missions ?
Without a complete overhaul, the government is NOT going to have the confidence in ISRO to launch humans into space. I mean you dont want your vyomanauts to die in a GSLV launch.
Failures happen but it is these repeat failures of advanced missions (PSLV seems to have matured for sure) either because of new technology like lunar landing or the trickier cryogenic engines is what is of concern. ISRO is capable of space activities to a certain level of complexity but not beyond that. To go beyond that ISRO needs a complete overhaul:
- hand over PSLV to private enterprise
- rejig R&D by recruiting top Indian talent from around the world.
- do failure assessments transparently and jointly with expert organizations. Dont get defensive and hide failures. Share with other why stuff failed and see if universitiies, other scientific establishments can jointly help. Not sharing the F.A.R of Chandrayaan disaster was a wrong idea. If they dont share the F.A.R of this launch and try to work out things by themselves, then we can pretty much write off ISRO for advanced programs and look to private industry to get us there.
- get rid of all managers from the Congress era. Most probably got promoted due to caste basis and politics.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
It's ISRO's incompetence.. As DRDO is regaining its MOJO... ISRO is slipping.. First the twice delayed launch, now this.. Also, hardly any launches during the pandemic..
It is all leadership...DRDO has got a good leader now in Dr. Satish Reddy. When leadership fails, the organization can never succeed. Dr. K. Sivan has been a total failure as a leader. He must gracefully resign and set a precedent for accountability for all leaders. Bring in a dynamic leader for ISRO who can lead the organization to effectively tackle advanced programs. This leader may not need to be even a top rocket scientist. Promoting engineers from within ISRO to non-engineering leadership roles has become a huge mistake.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
yes...absence of activity citing China virus as a reason, delaying launches, causing embarrassment close to I-Day are all big red flags that something is rotten deep inside ISRO. And everything points to leadership failure. Also, when I watched the live launch, it looked like the engineers were not confident at all - no one looked excited and everyone looked like they wanted to go home. Even when the first two stages succeeded - there were only a few claps. EVeryone knew that the 3rd cryo stage is what matters. And when the trajectory deviated, there were no sad faces or nervousness - it was almost like they knew the chances of the failure of this launch were quite high. I hope the satellite they made was not that expensive.

Varoon2

Country flag
On the plus side.. the 6 major engines beneath the cryogenic stage, worked flawlessly. And the new 4m ogive heat shield did open up. But major disappointment with the cryo stage, considering this was a proven system, and the satellite was very important. Yes, Sivan must do the graceful thing, and resign.

jik60

Country flag
Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 10.27.59 PM.png

looks like the CUS couldn't even ignite before it splashes down to the ocean. Head must roll on Sivan must and must go. Chicha should force him to do that and overhaul the entire top leadership as he did with the DRDO. That's the only reason currently we are seeing a good success rate from them even in comparatively complex technologies.

Vamsi

Country flag
Blaming Sabotage is the easy way out.. The problem was with the cryogenic stage not igniting.. Now, this is an area where ISRO has faced problems before..
No the possibility of internal sabotage is more , considering that this launch is being intentionally delayed for more than a year and also GISAT is a military sat.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles