Future Infantry Combat Vehicle (FICV)

Daisy

Pls dont waste your time and money on Indian army....It will go clueless like Kestrel...its better to make and export to foreign countries atleast some dollars comes in..
No, you can't.
Without domestic sales, it is difficult to convince foreign clients.
Ask TATA to export Tata Nano to foreign countries, let's see how many units will get sold.

mokoman

Country flag
Old news but whats situtation now ?

"The original plan is to induct the FICVs by 2025. The way things are moving, it is unlikely that we will be able to induct them before 2050," said a military official involved in the project.

from here

2050 ? o_O

i hope it happens in my life time :pound:

Cruise missile

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Old news but whats situtation now ?

"The original plan is to induct the FICVs by 2025. The way things are moving, it is unlikely that we will be able to induct them before 2050," said a military official involved in the project.

from here

2050 ? o_O

i hope it happens in my life time :pound:
Army chief has said that it is not going to be inducted before 2027.

WarriorIndian

Country flag
Why not try to point them out one by one?.. Several are visible.
There is little known about the futuristic elements that would go into this vehicle, but by the very looks of it, one can assume that they have borrowed a good degree of design elements from BMP, a platform which the army is looking to replace.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
There is little known about the futuristic elements that would go into this vehicle, but by the very looks of it, one can assume that they have borrowed a good degree of design elements from BMP, a platform which the army is looking to replace.
Which is a pretty normal thing to do, given IA's logisticwl woes... but the changes are still much more if compared to BMP-1/2 or T-72/90.

I know because I made a orthographic projection of FICV, by modifying the BMP-2... Significant volumetric increase to fit bigger engine & several STANAG level armour increase, plus lots of minor design enhancements I loved like hydro-pneumatic suspension, solid ramp-door (unarmoured fuel-tanks in BMP), extra wheels reducing ground pressure etc.

See for yourself, BMP-2 Sarath & FICV Abhay Mark2;
BMP vs FICV.gif

Last edited:

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
In Defence expo it was revealed that DRDO will come up with a FICV called Abhay mk2.
Can anyone confirm that the OFB FICV (from OFB, Medak) project based on BMP2 is the same as DRDO FICV project, or are they different?

Trololo

Country flag
FICV order will go to some pet firm. OFB will launch major strike and agitation in retaliation.

WarriorIndian

Country flag
Which is a pretty normal thing to do, given IA's logisticwl woes... but the changes are still much more if compared to BMP-1/2 or T-72/90.

I know because I made a orthographic projection of FICV, by modifying the BMP-2... Significant volumetric increase to fit bigger engine & several STANAG level armour increase, plus lots of minor design enhancements I loved like hydro-pneumatic suspension, solid ramp-door (unarmoured fuel-tanks in BMP), extra wheels reducing ground pressure etc.

See for yourself, BMP-2 Sarath & FICV Abhay Mark2;View attachment 71963
I guess you are right ! It does make sense to go for a similar design given the logistical advantage the army would have. If I am may ask, does this new platform Abhay Mk2 have active protection systems and missile firing capability etc?

silentlurker

Country flag
I guess you are right ! It does make sense to go for a similar design given the logistical advantage the army would have. If I am may ask, does this new platform Abhay Mk2 have active protection systems and missile firing capability etc?
Given the project hasn't even reached detailed design stage yet nothing is for sure, but ATGM is almost certain, APS likely.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
As @silentlurker pointed out it's 2 ATGM launcher module is visible on the left side of the turret... Soft-kill APS of Arjun should be there (which instead of shooting pellets or airbursts at radar-detected incoming warheads, lobs smoke shells in direction of detected laser from ATGM guidance or tank's rangefinder)... ERA tiles & sideskirts should be there too, as was in Abhay Mark1. They're developing a 30% lighter composite armoured chasis for the final prototype, you'll find everything in last 2-4 pages.

silentlurker

Country flag
As @silentlurker pointed out it's 2 ATGM launcher module is visible on the left side of the turret... Soft-kill APS of Arjun should be there (which instead of shooting pellets or airbursts at radar-detected incoming warheads, lobs smoke shells in direction of detected laser from ATGM guidance or tank's rangefinder)... ERA tiles & sideskirts should be there too, as was in Abhay Mark1. They're developing a composite armoured chasis for the final prototype, you'll find everything in last 2-4 pages.
Is the linked picture actual design? Or just concept

Cruise missile

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

See for yourself, BMP-2 Sarath & FICV Abhay Mark2;View attachment 71963
Do u know abhay mk2 lower section protection level against IEDs afaik there is some other way to enhance protection other than v shaped hull it is present in AS 21.

WarriorIndian

Country flag
Given the project hasn't even reached detailed design stage yet nothing is for sure, but ATGM is almost certain, APS likely.
What do you think about TATA and L&T? Do they stand a chance, is there anything known about their FICV projects yet?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Is the linked picture actual design? Or just concept
Which one?.. This diagram I posted?
That I created by editing the BMP-2 accordingly to match the changes they have introduced. You must have to study the photos a bit, not too difficult.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Do u know abhay mk2 lower section protection level against IEDs afaik there is some other way to enhance protection other than v shaped hull it is present in AS 21.
As per OFB video it has STANAG-IV at the sides & rear, ie, protected against 14.5mm AP at 200m as well as with 155 mm artillery blast at 30m (...so about 30kg TNT roadside blast).

Underside had STANAG-III, which means
8kg TNT blast AT mine under tracks & belly.
Aditya MPV can take 35kg explosion under chasis. For some reason IFVs have lower.

Kurganets-25 has front projection from 30mm AP rounds (STANAG-V level protection). As long as GICV has STANAG-V/VI at the front it should do.

Last edited:

Global Defence

Articles