Forum Suggestions Thread

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Member of the Month

the intent behind the activity is quite simple to enhance the quality of discussion that is happening on the forum and taking a cue from that be rest assured the mechanism to be put in place will be such that the people who enhance the over all quality of the forum will be rewarded with the accolade. quality as such is a very vague term and there are certain criteria/parameter on which it will be judged. the moderation team has a few things up their mind which we have discussed on which the process will move ahead, how the judgment will happen, on what parameters will the members be judged & in the process our intent is to make it as transparent a process as possible and as the mantra of the forum is, we are always open to suggestions, so to all the members, please do chip in with your suggestions, and while doing that just keep one thing in mind and that is the suggestions coming in have to be such which further enhance the quality of the forum and of the discussion on the forum.

thanks.

Sailor

The exact criteria ll be a bit vague and subject to discretion of DFI staff so as to not interrupt the normal flow of the forum in lieu of members gunning for the Award but amount of time spent on the forum activity, quality of posts including effort made, relevancy, purposefullness, maintaing basic decorum and following rules etc. It ll be open only to non-staff and non star members to be fair.
I think everyone should be included including stars.

Auberon

I think everyone should be included including stars.
STFU :gasp: It ll be an excuse for me, twenty years from now, explaining the noobies how come I never made Member of the Month .. but but, me wee lads, I was a star remember :boast:

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
The new light green colour for the Moderator names is very hard to see (especially for oldies like me)... so I suggest that it be replaced with either dark green or any other similar dark colour...

Also, you might want to look at alternatives for the Super Moderator colour because it isn't awfully well visible...

A.V.

The new light green colour for the Moderator names is very hard to see (especially for oldies like me)... so I suggest that it be replaced with either dark green or any other similar dark colour...

Also, you might want to look at alternatives for the Super Moderator colour because it isn't awfully well visible...

monk the change is done with the new dfi customized skin please see the bluefox-fluid skin at the style chooser you will notice why we changed the color
shift to bluefox for best dfi experience this will be the default

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Can we have a rating system for people's posts like there is on youtube? Right now, there is a way to thank someone for their post, but not to give them a thumbs down if the post is inflammatory, in bad taste, spam or just wrong. That way the bad posts get filtered automatically and the mods can relax a bit too. :)

A.V.

Can we have a rating system for people's posts like there is on youtube? Right now, there is a way to thank someone for their post, but not to give them a thumbs down if the post is inflammatory, in bad taste, spam or just wrong. That way the bad posts get filtered automatically and the mods can relax a bit too. :)

there is a reputation system very popular on the vbulletin forums but more than been useful it leads to bad blood within the community because members do not know who gave -ve reps to a particular post so that rep system is oot of question

but adding a thumps down button similar to the thumps up buttom with the names of members displayed should be a good one we will try to find this mod if possible we can have a consensus on this and then implement it

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
guys, i have seen this happen and i can assure you when negative reps or a thumbs down are given it only creates bad blood and in the end demotivates a lot of members. there will be more fights on the forum, there will be groups formed (eg let a few chinese come, they will be targeted and then they will retaliate and the whole thing will become just a target each other) and will in no way help the quality of the forum. mods are appointed to do their job and sooner or later they catch up on the stuff that is happening on the forum and then there is the option of reporting a post to mod team which is more than enough a tool to let the mods now and in case no mod is around you always have the option of a pm.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
i can atest to that and it can also lead to the Loss of many gem of a members

Rage

DFI TEAM
Absoloutely. We have no need for bad blood between members. Even more so, this forum is not a competition between members as to who racks up the most 'agreements' or the least 'disagreements' with their posts. The 'thumbs up' button is merely a courtesy call - an acknowledgment to thank someone for a "useful post". What a 'thumbs down' button will do, besides peeving most members, is to encourage those who use it to not post their views on why they disagree, merely hit the button as a means of expressing their dissidence. That is what we don't want- fewer posts and greater animosity between members.

The sentiment behind the suggestion's not bad- it would indeed cause the mods to relax [something we desperately need, especially with regards to enforcing Victorian moralisms :D /jibe @ Singh], but the all-too-regularly observed consequences of such a mechanism would appear to give cause to abjure it.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
Guys i have a suggution why dont we have an election system so that all members can get a pice of the Admin work pls do consider and let me know

A.V.

Guys i have a suggution why dont we have an election system so that all members can get a pice of the Admin work pls do consider and let me know
WE DID have an open application system for the post of moderators most of the mods currently are chosen on that basis also we do plan to have similar type of applications in the future as and when the forum grows big
we have major plans for expansions in various sectors of defence and we will need a big team and i am sure many will try and get the tough job

johnee

Mods,
We have a 'no-debate-on-religion' policy on this forum, and I understand that this policy is in place to avoid such discussions, as they can lead to bad-blood among the posters becoz of its sensitive nature. Hence, its a good policy to have. But there is a need in these times, to discuss Political Islam(an ideology that uses Islam as a tool to gain political power). This policy is being followed in many countries and spheres. Even by terrorists like Talibanis. Our own neighbours have been trying to use Islam as a tool to break India. The most famous example is that they claim Kashmir on the basis that Kashmir has muslim majority.
So, IMHO, we should discuss Political Islam and its proponents. Without discussing it for the fear of ruffling some feathers, would mean that we would be ignoring the elephant in the room. Note, that Political Islam is different from Religion Islam that ordinary ppl follow in their day-to-day lives. This discussion would also give a chance for ppl to clear the blot on Islam brought about by the Political Islam......

PS: if you deem it as unnecessary or a volatile subject, then I wont mention it again. If you deem it as a subject worth debate, then we can have a thread on it.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
"Political Islam(an ideology that uses Islam as a tool to gain political power)...."

Doesn't the same apply for political Hinduism too ?

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Yes, it does and it can be discussed too in my opinion.

We should have the minimum holy cows possible while maintaining decency.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
Hey Vinod what do you think about having an election on a Bi monthly basis

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Hey Tomcat...I think that would be unfair to the present mods. They have been selected for their neutrality and posting excellence and their replacement will not do the forum any good. Plus, as Invincible said, if your posts are informative and well summed, you might just be picked as the next mod. So focussing on one's posts might be the best way to moderatorship.

johnee

"Political Islam(an ideology that uses Islam as a tool to gain political power)...."

Doesn't the same apply for political Hinduism too ?
Of course, it does. Why just Hinduism or Islam, it applies to every religion in the world. But I pointed Political Islam becoz that seems to be prevalent in different parts of the world. Infact, it has got to an extent where some nations are being driven by it(eg: Pak). Of course, we can also discuss Political Budhism or Political Taoism.........etc as well. But I referred to the one that I thought has acquired a lot of importance in recent times....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles