F-INSAS Futuristic Infantry Soldier As a System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
[h=2]F-Insas Rifle Design Clears Audit, To Go Into Production From Jan 2012[/h]
The defence ministry may no longer have to search for an advanced rifle to arm the Indian infantry soldier of the future under the F-Insas project. Rifle Factory Ishapore (RFI) claims to have come up with an advanced variant of the existing 5.56 mm Insas rifle that will go into production from January, 2012.

"The rifle is an extremely modern weapon that will meet with the requirements of the future infantryman. Our designs have already cleared the audit and production is expected to start from January," a source said. RFI has already manufactured over a million Insas rifles for distribution among security personnel in India.

The Insas was first introduced before the Kargil war and several variants have since been developed. When the Future Infantry Soldier as System (F-Insas) project was launched by the defence ministry, the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) got together to develop weapons for the soldier of the future.

more and from F-Insas Rifle Design Clears Audit, To Go Into Production From Jan 2012 | idrw.org

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Coming soon: 'Smart soldiers' with robots for hi-tech battles

Taking cover from the enemy fire, a soldier quietly takes stock of the enemy's position using surveillance robots and launches counterattack! It may sound futuristic but the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and the Indian Army are in the advanced stages of developing such 'smart soldiers' who would be equipped with the latest technology and gadgets to fight any battle.

The Rs 200 crore 'Soldier as a System' project, which started around three years ago, is aimed at enhancing the capabilities of individual combat soldiers in lethality, battle command compatibility, survivability, mobility and others.

"These smart soldiers will be geared up for all kind of battle scenarios. They would be equipped with the latest communication systems," DRDO's chief controller (R&D) W Selvamurthy told DNA.
"Indian Army is a part of it in a big way. We are working in complete synchronization with them. Several army officers are working with us on this project," he said.

He said the DRDO is developing the peripheral support systems, including communication devices, guns, lighter bulletproof jackets, helmet-mounted display and health monitoring units.
A special suit is also being prepared that would have a capability to adapt to all kinds of weather. "In summers its pores will open for ventilation and in winters it will stop chilly winds," Selvamurthy said.

Monitors fitted on the suits would relay health-related information of a soldier to his main control centre to help them decide on his battle capability.

The DRDO has also developed a high-tech communication and information system, which would be integrated with it. This mainly includes a digital compass, GPS and hand-size computer.

Small robots with surveillance capabilities have also been developed and they would be controlled using the hand-size computers. The gun would also night vision capabilities.

"Using these systems, soldiers will be able to have awareness of the battlefield. Besides, the communication system would keep all such smart soldiers connected to each other —tracking each others' position on the battleground. They will also be able to scan the areas around and have a virtual feel of the war-field," he added.

Selvamurthy said: "Under these projects, we are developing support systems to enhance efficiency, lethality, mobility, survivability and sustainability of soldiers. Developmental trials of all these support systems are going on after which all they would be integrated. Once that is done, it will then go for user trials."
"It will take another four-five years for it to see the light of the day.

No country has such kind of system now. Several countries are working on this system as well," he added.

Coming soon: �Smart soldiers� with robots for hi-tech battles - Mumbai - DNA

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Army prefers multi-barrel rifles

The ordnance factory is targeting paramilitary forces to sell the rifle rather than the army, since the latter is already going ahead with the purchase of multi-calibre rifles. The army is scouting the international market to buy rifles with interchangeable barrels of different calibres, like 7.52, 5.56 and 6.68mm. Talks are underway with US' Colt, Baretta from Italy and Israeli Military Industry (IMI). The ordnance factory is not in the fray for multi-barrel rifles so far. Experts also believe it would not be practical for a soldier to use such a weapon. Moreover, after initial procurement there are chances that subsequent batches of the multi-barrel rifles may be made in India itself, a source said.
Indian ‘AK-47′ too fast for its own good | idrw.org

We have four contenders for 7.62m43:

1. T- assault rifle..
2. Colt 7.62m43
3. Beretta ARX-160
4. Galil ACE 7.62M43

Now we will see who will offer battle field conversion kit..

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
This means that 1st phaso of F-INSAS, scheduled to be completed by 2012 is delayed for1-2 years and maybe more.( as obvious). Cant they learn something for Lockheed Martin which made its delivery rather before given time limit. So punctual and thats why they rule as an arms supplier.

p2prada

This means that 1st phaso of F-INSAS, scheduled to be completed by 2012 is delayed for1-2 years and maybe more.( as obvious). Cant they learn something for Lockheed Martin which made its delivery rather before given time limit. So punctual and thats why they rule as an arms supplier.
I wouldn't be so sure about it.

Sukhoi delivered the MKI ahead of schedule while the F-35 is taking it's own sweet time.

I think even the T-90 came ahead of schedule. But I am not so sure about this.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
I wouldn't be so sure about it.

Sukhoi delivered the MKI ahead of schedule while the F-35 is taking it's own sweet time.

I think even the T-90 came ahead of schedule. But I am not so sure about this.
F-35 is something getting more and more complex as the each day passes. I wonder that project could might be killed if the budget exceeds. With too many nations, I doubts the timeline of deliveries or even will it roll out in 1st half of this decade. Sorry for going off topic.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Development of new weapon system cannot be compare with production line of LM of developed platform.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Development of new weapon system cannot be compare with production line of LM of developed platform.
Oh yes. Just forgot that. My apologies. No comparison but else the project will be an obvious delay.

niharjhatn

When you are in competition with 1, or 2 other firms with as good as reputation as yours, and billions at stake, you would work your arse off to meet deadlines.

Lack of private co. in Indian defence is slowly killing us.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
If you guys are checking up RFI for FINSAS then you will understand what is going on, last year they issued RFI for computer for FINSAS, lets wait and see.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
If you guys are checking up RFI for FINSAS then you will understand what is going on, last year they issued RFI for computer for FINSAS, lets wait and see.
What I know is that two years ago, a deadline was set for the completion of 1st phase of FINSAS in which the almost all the battalions and divisions of army were to be armed with new modular multi-caliber weapon system and on the basis of it I`m saying that the project is lagging behind. Not very much but yes a little bit. The new weapon developed has to be pass vigorous user trials which will surely take one year or more then it will go onto series production, and obviously Jawans need to be trained for such a highly advanced weapon system. And include some more disturbance and estimate the time to be taken from now.

Not less than 2 years(minimum) and I`m quite happy to know about the new weapon system. Hats -off to everyone.

Dhiraj Thakur

i hav seen many videos over land warrior...i liked there inventions,their gadgets..there that heads up display...their guns...they even working on making soldier invisible...r we doing anything like this?do we hav anything better gadgets that other country dont hav??

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
i hav seen many videos over land warrior...i liked there inventions,their gadgets..there that heads up display...their guns...they even working on making soldier invisible...r we doing anything like this?do we hav anything better gadgets that other country dont hav??
Hard to say, But mission computer is included like any-other...

Land warrior and Felin system are first generations Hi-tech soldiers, These are not practical..

What needed is a way different approach, though they are working hard..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
cant we have helmet mounted disply insted of palmtop...like land warrior...that will be more user friendly to our jawan...and sir whts tht device soldier is holding other than palm top.....
That is older deign..

Actually the plan is to out it on wrist like wrist watch..

It must be hard and shook proof so does water/sand/mud proof, these feature cannot be added to helmet mounted sight ..

here are few samples:

niharjhatn

Just like Kunal sir said, it is far more a technical exercise than a practical one. If you look at some of the more practical steps the US (I assume you are talking about them) have taken to try and create this 'future force warrior', there have been numerous "failures" on multiple fronts, largely due to $$$. I say "failures" because whatever developments HAVE occurred have been two impractical to be implemented anyway. However, I question the US doctrine of trying to implement this hyper-modernization of the ENTIRE infantry forces - again, due to cost concerns, and even the benefits to me don't seem that great. Infantry combat is continually assuming a lesser role, and whilst still important, I think a poorer nation like India would simply be wasting its money on what ultimately are quite outlandish schemes.

However, focusing such cutting edge technology on a select, highly trained cadre of elite troops is interesting! I daresay infantry military dogma will evolve to reflect movies like Terminator and other video games!! :D

Dhiraj Thakur

also sir whts that gadget soldier is holding in right hand...is tht some kind of long microphone or wht?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles