F-INSAS Futuristic Infantry Soldier As a System

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
I think this is a topic that ought to be talked about much more. I haven't seen much about this in most forums and I thought we must break the ice about all this.

According to the information I have, the soldiers will be equipped with a new generation INSAS rifle capable of grenade launching and other assorted tactical capabilities.

Also in the deal will be Thermal imaging and Nightvision equipment (which I think is long overdue).

And, of course, let's not forget the bullet proof jackets (Type 3A, I think) which are to be made inhouse.

And, it seems that Tata and L&T seem to be the frontrunners in this deal.

Your views members....

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Thanks Amar. I've seen this earlier in another forum.

Any idea of the operationalisation timeline for this? I read 2015 - 2020 somewhere, but I'm not sure.

Also, who all will be equipped? Everybody?

And, how much will it cost?

Rage

DFI TEAM
F-I.N.S.A.S: Future Infantry Systems as a Soldier- Broad Overview

F-INSAS is India's program to equip the Infantry with state of the art equipment. F-INSAS means Futuristic Infantry Soldier As a System. F-INSAS has been taken up to equip Indian infantry with the latest weaponry, communication network and instant access to information on the battlefield.

This program is similar to the future soldier programs of other nations. F-INSAS includes a fully networked all-terrain, all-weather personal-equipment platform, enhanced firepower and mobility for the digitalised battlefield of the future. The weight carried by soldiers will be reduced by at least 50%.

The fully integrated Infantry of tomorrow will be equipped with mission-oriented equipment integrated with his buddy soldier team, the sub-unit, as also the overall C4I2 (Command, Control, Communications Computers, Information and Intelligence) system. In the first phase, to be completed by 2012, the infantry soldiers will be equipped with modular weapon systems that will have multi-functions.

The Indian Army intends to modernize its entire 465 infantry and paramilitary battalions by 2020 with this program.

F-INSAS equipment

The intention is to equip the soldier to ensure a dramatic increase in their lethality, survivability and mobility while making the soldier "a self-contained fighting machine".

Helmet and Visor

The helmet is an integrated assembly equipped with thermal sensors, video cameras and chemical and biological sensors. The visor is intended to be integrated and to act as a heads-up display monitor equivalent to two 17-inch computer monitors.

Clothing

The personal clothing of this soldier of the future would be lightweight with a bullet-proof jacket. The futuristic jacket would be waterproofed yet breathable. The new attire that will enable the troops carry the extra load and resist impact of chemical warfare. The new uniform will have vests with sensors to monitor their health parameters and provide quick medical relief.

Weapons

The weapons sub-system is built around a dual caliber assault rifle with the second caliber attached to a grenade launcher. The sub-system includes a thermal weapon sight and laser range finder to provide the soldier with range and direction information. The Global Positioning System (GPS) location information, allows the soldier can call for indirect fire accurately.

Accessories

The soldier will equipped with a palmtop to be able to communicate with other soldiers, and will be aware of the battlefield. The palmtop will tell the soldier where others are in relation to themselves. It will also enable them to transfer messages.

Thermal imagers, sensors and night vision equipment, currently deployed in weapon systems such as artillery and main battle tanks, will be customized to make them portable for soldiers to carry on the battle ground.

Procurement requests for the 'open calibre' carbines is valued at around INR44 billion (USD1.1 billion) have been initiated with global manufacturers. The procurement covers night-vision devices, laser designators and detachable under-barrel grenade launchers.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/land-forces/46128-f-insas.html
http://www.janes.com/news/defence/systems/jdw/jdw080514_1_n.shtml
http://www.hindu.com/2006/05/09/stories/2006050900490900.htm

shiv

old news piece about finsas by jj singh

THOUGH QUITE OLD--->J.J SINGH SPEAKING ABOUT FINSAS

Indian Army To Invest In F-INSAS (Future Infantry Soldier as a System) Programme

The 1.1 million-strong Indian Army is going hi-tech to turn its troops into fighting machines of the 21 century, complete with the latest multi-function weaponry and uniforms with sensors to monitor their health parameters.

"We have put in place an action plan to modernize the armed forces in all dimensions. A project, code-named F-INSAS (Future Infantry Soldier as a System), has been taken up to train futuristic soldiers, equipped with latest weaponry, communication network and instant access to information on the battlefield," Chief of Army Staff General Joginder Jaswant Singh said.

"In my view, the next war will be won by the side that is adept at high technology with all-weather fighting capability," the army chief said on the sidelines of a military function here.

With IT and electronic gadgets calling the shots in the armed forces worldwide, the Indian Army is gearing up to equip its soldiers with war-fighting capability and to prevent battle fatigue.

"As in civilian and other sectors, we would like to make optimal use of ICT (information and communication technology) for which Indian tech firms are known worldwide. We will be investing substantially to make our operations -from war zones to civil lines - digital, with seamless connectivity for online access to information systems," Singh said.

Under the F-INSAS project, the troops will be put on a multi-mission mode to accomplish different tasks with speed, precision and lethality. In the first phase, to be completed by 2012, the infantry soldiers will be equipped with modular weapon systems that will have multi-functions.

Thermal imagers, sensors and night vision equipment, currently deployed in weapon systems such as artillery and main battle tanks, will be customised to make them portable for carrying by the soldiers in the battle ground.

"Apart from imparting modern training and providing hi-tech gadgets, we are also working on a new attire that will enable the troops carry the extra load and resist impact of chemical warfare. The new uniform will have vests with sensors to monitor their health parameters and provide quick medical relief," Singh pointed out.

Singh said during his visit to the US this month he had a first hand account of the training systems and the latest equipment being used by the American army for combat operations.

"Though my recent visit to the US was to enhance our military-to-military ties, as strategic partners we exchanged views on several issues relating to transforming the armed forces for the future, on how to modernise the equipment and handle challenges of low-intensity conflicts. I also got acquainted with their experiences in Iraq and Afghanistan," Singh disclosed.

As part of its strategic military ties, the Indian Army plans to take the joint exercises with the US Army to the battalion level from the platoon and company levels at which it had four such exercises so far.

http://www.india-defence.com/reports-3269

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Rage the first picture you posted is an artistic impression of the future soldier program of US, not of F-INSAS

BTW where have you got the second pic, seems more like imaginary than something else:sAni_monkey:, correct me if I am wrong.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
what we need at present is pre FINSAS system which will have battry pack with thermal vision/night vision, digital zoom and digital radio set and this should be used with the INSAS rifle.........

As the F INSAS progress we need to intruduce these in stages..... we must remember that we need to train our soilders to use these since many of them dont know english and are only 12 standard pass out........

Rage

DFI TEAM
Rage the first picture you posted is an artistic impression of the future soldier program of US, not of F-INSAS
You're bang on the money with that one P, but I posted this because the Future Force Warrior (FFW) which is an element of the Future Combat Systems project (FCS) of the US Army serves as a template for our very own F-INSAS infantry systems.

BTW where have you got the second pic, seems more like imaginary than something else:sAni_monkey:, correct me if I am wrong.
The second pic is a graphic (accurate) illustration of what a typical infantry unit of the FFW programme would look like...

My apologies, I should have indicated that at the beginning.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Army aims to turn soldiers into 'terminators' by 2020

NEW DELHI: Arnold Schwarzeneggers they may not be, but the aim certainly is to make them ‘‘terminators’’. The Army wants to transform its 3.5 lakh infantry soldiers into high-tech, self-contained killing machines by 2020.

The Army’s futuristic modernisation programme for foot-soldiers, the F-INSAS (future infantry soldier as a system), in the pipeline for the past three years, as reported earlier by TOI , has finally taken concrete shape now.

The infantry commanders’ conference chaired by General J J Singh, which kicked off at Mhow on Monday, discussed in detail the F-INSAS project, akin to US Army’s ‘‘land warrior’’ and ‘‘objective force warrior’’ programmes.

F-INSAS basically aims at ‘‘converting an infantryman into a fully-networked all-terrain, all-weather, weapons platform with enhanced lethality, survivability, sustainability, mobility and situational awareness’’ for the digitised battlefield of the future.

Sources said the Army will approach the government with the ‘‘firm’’ F-INSAS project, along with the ‘‘costing’’, before the end of this year since it wants ‘‘systems development and integration by 2010’’.

‘‘The aim is to equip up to 10 infantry battalions (each with 800-1,000 soldiers) by 2010-2015 for F-INSAS user trials. By 2020, the project will be fielded for the entire infantry, which with 359 battalions is the largest arm of the 1.13-million strong Army,’’ said a source.

Though F-INSAS will primarily be developed through a military-DRDO-indigenous industry partnership, senior officers like Gen Singh have visited countries like US, Israel and France for a first-hand look at the programmes they have undertaken for their infantry soldiers.

In the coming years, Indian infantry soldiers will progressively get equipment like light-weight integrated ballistic helmets with ‘‘heads-up display’’ and miniaturised communication systems; portable visual, chemical and biological sensors; hand-held computer displays, GPS and video links; ‘‘smart’’ vests with sensors to monitor vital body signs; and of course lethal firepower with laser-guided modular weapon systems.

There are plans to also equip each infantry section of 10-12 soldiers with a ‘‘robotic mule’’, which apart from helping them carry additional load will also be mounted with remotely-activated weapon systems for concentrated firepower.

‘‘F-INSAS aims at integrating cutting-edge composite material sciences, information technology, nanotechnology and biotechnology as well as robotics to make a soldier into a versatile and potent sensor and shooter platform in a fully-networked battlefield environment,’’ said a senior officer.

All this, of course, will take a lot of doing. But the defence ministry, led by A K Antony, has assured the Army of full support for its around 600 modernisation schemes, worth about Rs 70,000 crore in the 11th Plan (2007-2012) period. The infantry, consequently, will be one of the major thrust areas.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/2245443.cms
So it seems that the deadline is around 2020.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Doesn't it sound too good to be true ?

Pintu

Doesn't it sound too good to be true ?
Soham, actually , it lies in future what is being stored for us in 2020, since all the other major countries are gearing up for turning their infantry men more lethal , while giving importance to quality rather than quantity , at a time futuristic weapons are also being developed.

We can have our finger crossed.

Regards

Pintu

As seen from the picture a good thing to see that this project is going to be implemented by active private participation.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The IOF has developed a new clothing for the F-INSAS. Does anyone have any news report on it?

Robin Bingo

is this under F-INSAS?and from when is this digital pattern going to be used from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles