DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
i am kind of doubtful that we're exporting BDL made MILAN-2T to this *friendly foreign country*, as that former soviet country has got far more 9M111 "Fagot" and 9M133 Konkurs than MILAN under their arsenal; and BDL has been making both of these soviet-ruusi ATGMs and their launchers apart from MILANs as well;
also Konkurs-M is bigger ATGM than MILAN-2T and has longer range, is overall far more familiar weapon to them.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
What we desperately need is an equivalent of long range suicide drone like Shaheed-136. We can repurpose Nishant or Panchi for it. But whether our import loving procurement system ever thinks about our real need?

Chinmoy

Country flag
What we desperately need is an equivalent of long range suicide drone like Shaheed-136. We can repurpose Nishant or Panchi for it. But whether our import loving procurement system ever thinks about our real need?
We already have a far better and versatile system then Shaheed-136. And its not Harpy.

johnj

Bharat Electronics Limited and Israel Aerospace Team for Short Range Air Defense Systems
1693922982947.png

Mr K V Suresh Kumar, Director (Marketing), BEL, and Mr Avi Elisha, VP and General Manager, Missile Systems Division, IAI, display the MoU signed between BEL and IAI, in the presence of Mr Bhanu Prakash Srivastava, CMD, BEL, and other senior officers in Bengaluru yesterday.

Navratna Defence PSU Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), Israel’s leading aerospace and defense company, have inked an MoU for co-operation in addressing India’s requirements in the domain of Short Range Air Defense Systems. The MoU was signed by Mr K V Suresh Kumar, Director (Marketing), BEL, and Mr Avi Elisha, VP and General Manager, Missile Systems Division, IAI, in the presence of Mr Bhanu Prakash Srivastava, CMD, BEL, in Bengaluru yesterday. The partnership marks yet another significant step towards cementing the synergy between the two companies which have a long history of association. BEL and IAI are engaged in several joint development / production / product support programmes for the Indian Defence forces. The MoU aims at leveraging IAI and BEL’s capabilities, and is in sync with the ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ and ‘Make in India’ policies of the Government of India.
Mr Boaz Levy, IAI’s President and CEO, said: “BEL and IAI have a successful partnership in the field of Air Defense in India. Together, we are providing the Indian Armed Forces with high-end Air Defense capabilities that meet their high-end operational requirements on one hand and ‘Make in India’ requirements on the other. Hence, it is only natural that we expand this cooperation to the Short Range Air Defense domain.”
Mr Bhanu Prakash Srivastava, CMD, BEL, said: “BEL considers IAI, Israel, as a key strategic partner. This MoU is envisaged to boost the co-operation between the two companies in the field of Short Range Air Defense Systems. It will empower the Indian industry to make significant contributions towards equipping our forces with state-of-the-art Short Range Air Defense Systems.”

IAI’s comprehensive range of air defense systems covers everything you need to detect, track, intercept and neutralize all types of airborne threats from missiles, through UAVS and up to combat jets. The company air defense solutions include radars, jammers, decoys and various warning systems, all of which elevates your ability to defend against a broad range of threats. The Sky Capture system is the ultimate C3 for air defense missiles and guns design to provide full scale capabilities to any mobile and stationary air defense systems. Eagle-Eye III VSHORAD is an air defense electro-optical Fire Control System. It has TV and FLIR channels, laser range finder and auto-tracking for engaging attacking aircraft and helicopters. It can interface with a search radar for target approach alerts and it can control up to six A/A guns of all types, e.g. 37 mm, 40 mm, 57 mm guns, and missile turrets with Stinger, SA-18 or Mistral. For mobility, Eagle-Eye can be installed on vehicles and other platforms.
Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) is Israel’s major aerospace and aviation manufacturer, producing aerial and astronautic systems for both military and civilian usage. It has 15,000 employees as of 2018. IAI is completely state-owned by the government of Israel. IAI designs, develops, produces and maintains civil aircraft, drones, fighter aircraft, missile, avionics, and space-based systems. Although IAI’s main focus is engineering, aviation and high-tech electronics, it also manufactures military systems for ground and naval forces. Many of these products are specially suited for the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) needs, while others are also marketed to foreign militaries.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag

karn

Country flag
40 lakh per unit is not cheap for low speed expendable munition with low payload.

It is feasible to make shahed type drone for ~1-1.5 lac per piece, especially since we dont need to buy our stuff in black like Iran does.
Low speed is relative .. Abhyas is 3 X times faster than the shahed .

omaebakabaka

Low speed is relative .. Abhyas is 3 X times faster than the shahed .
40lakhs drone in the role of shahed is expensive to be useful in that capacity, sounds like lot of import content possibly or is different class...as the other user indicated, this is needs to be no more than $5k to 10k in mass produced fashion in India...

karn

Country flag
40lakhs drone in the role of shahed is expensive to be useful in that capacity, sounds like lot of import content possibly or is different class...as the other user indicated, this is needs to be no more than $5k to 10k in mass produced fashion in India...
The role of the shahed itself is not so useful . It merely flys to a gps coordinate and falls there. Even Russia uses it only to target electricity infra and terror bombings . And then its warhead is too small to damage anything fortified. So things like hitting a known bunker is out. I'm not even sure what the Indian military would use it for .. While the abhyas has actual potential to do something useful as mentioned in the above article.

omaebakabaka

The role of the shahed itself is not so useful . It merely flys to a gps coordinate and falls there. Even Russia uses it only to target electricity infra and terror bombings . And then its warhead is too small to damage anything fortified. So things like hitting a known bunker is out. I'm not even sure what the Indian military would use it for .. While the abhyas has actual potential to do something useful as mentioned in the above article.
More than that, they use it to explot air defence assets and so on....all drones are useful provided there is a strategy outside lone and random terror style attacks like Ukraine does....so I think these things are very effective in the whole and we must also invest in strategies to deal with them on the receiving side.

karn

Country flag
More than that, they use it to explot air defence assets and so on....all drones are useful provided there is a strategy outside lone and random terror style attacks like Ukraine does....so I think these things are very effective in the whole and we must also invest in strategies to deal with them on the receiving side.
Not exploit exactly but it forces the defender to expend air defence cause mango people will demand it if it falls in populated areas . I mean beyond bombing oil storage in karachi and knocking out electricity infa I,m not even sure what use the military has for them.
we must also invest in strategies to deal with them on the receiving side.
I found it strange that the IAF asked for anti drone capability for the LCH in the initial requirement phase itself I guess they were onto something even 10+ years ago.

omaebakabaka

Not exploit exactly but it forces the defender to expend air defence cause mango people will demand it if it falls in populated areas . I mean beyond bombing oil storage in karachi and knocking out electricity infa I,m not even sure what use the military has for them.

I found it strange that the IAF asked for anti drone capability for the LCH in the initial requirement phase itself I guess they were onto something even 10+ years ago.
That is what exploitation means, to let them waste, expose their positions and so on and divert their assets to protecting things that are less of priority for attacking side. There are only finite assets to play a war and each one is generally accounted to lead to max utilization towards a goal...OR is exactly this. So a cheap 10k drone is effective in doing this if done correctly and in timely way.

Chinmoy

Country flag
40 lakh per unit is not cheap for low speed expendable munition with low payload.

It is feasible to make shahed type drone for ~1-1.5 lac per piece, especially since we dont need to buy our stuff in black like Iran does.
That 40 lakh INR is including the launcher. Minimum price of one Shaheed is 17,00,000 INR. We are getting a much more versatile system with launcher at the price of two such Shaheeds.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles