Amiet dreaming on that dream...
View attachment 201008
A concept...
View attachment 201009
A realisation...
View attachment 201010
The harsh reality...
View attachment 201011

It's easy to say that a gun fires Vibranium core Adamantium bullet while designing it in old computer running expired AutoDesk but when you start building it then only you're met with the actual reality.
yet Sudarshan managed to get one shot kill on fast moving maneuverable target drone with guidance from the Lynx FCR. Its good, very good even. And has been contracted for by the Indonesian navy

binayak95

Country flag
You can't do something like AHEAD in 20mm but a burst of 40mm AHEAD is going to rip a missile no matter how fast it is
Yeah, you cannot miniaturise a programmable warhead into a 25mm round, let alone a 20mm one - for one it eats up space leaving little room for explosives, and the other, it becomes way too expensive really fast.

The same thing happened with OICW and XM25 programs for US infantry. Too expensive, and not enough bang for a 25mm programmable grenade. old school 40mm was far better

binayak95

Country flag
I disagree. 40mm is not always good for everything. High rate of fire, even if small caliber is better for faster targets. Large caliber, even if low rate of fire is good for slower targets.

I would personally want to see a combo thing, but its engineering/logistical feasibility would be questionable.

2x20mm cannons coaxial with one 40mm cannon.

Can get ~1800 rpm when firing for high speed targets
And explosive spread of 40mm for slower/smaller/swarm targets.

Something like this

View attachment 201015
May i introduce the M15MGMC:
1681909073457.png

two M2 .50 cal Brownings on either side of a 37mm cannon.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
You can't do something like AHEAD in 20mm but a burst of 40mm AHEAD is going to rip a missile no matter how fast it is
You are being too fixated on fused ammo. Nimble platforms cannot be dealt with 300rpm. Its hard to hit someone who doesnt want to get hit as is without being limited to 5 rounds a second.

You know why Oerlikon's CIWS works so well? It combines fused ammo with a very high rate of fire. Thats the best of both worlds, but it also creates ammo storage issues, recoil issues, weight issues, etc.

shiphone

Country flag
Yeah, you cannot miniaturise a programmable warhead into a 25mm round, let alone a 20mm one - for one it eats up space leaving little room for explosives, and the other, it becomes way too expensive really fast.
LOL...
Miniaturised programmable fuze 25mm rounds <--- this is one of the reasons why the 35mm Revolving Guns can't EXCEL in the 25mm Gatling Gun in the PLAGF bidding.

VS.

Last edited:

AnantS

Country flag
L&T Sudarshan is "inspired" from the bofors L70

My question to whosoever can answer is... is ammunition loading automatic or manual(like L70)

The door with the handle makes me doubt whether someone is going to sit inside to do the loading.
really... ? sure one just needs to put sticker on that door "free tan for under 5ft"

WarmongerLSK

Country flag
nope, you have it backwards. Penetration is projectile going through. Perforation is just the armour peices going through.
I thought penetrate means entering but not exiting and perforate means entering and exiting. Googling also shows same although penetrate is also used for perforate apparently.

Blood+

Country flag
We are talking about massed volleys of MRLS rockets and tube artillery munitions, not missiles or drones.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
We are talking about massed volleys of MRLS rockets and tube artillery munitions, not missiles or drones.
That's exactly the type of scenarios where AHEAD type (type because Turkey and US also have their own copy of it) ammunitions shine. You aim on the nearest rocket, fire 10 rounds and instantly move to the next target without worrying much about this one; coz here the hit probability of those 10 rounds are way more than that of say 30 20mm rounds.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
I thought penetrate means entering but not exiting and perforate means entering and exiting. Googling also shows same although penetrate is also used for perforate apparently.
Might be sites that borrowed from wikipedia, that page lacks sources. You can see the tag at the top of the page.

Easy way to check - Perforation values are always higher than penetration values for a projectile.

Aniruddha Mulay

A dream...
View attachment 201007
Amiet dreaming on that dream...
View attachment 201008
A concept...
View attachment 201009
A realisation...
View attachment 201010
The harsh reality...
View attachment 201011

It's easy to say that a gun fires Vibranium core Adamantium bullet while designing it in old computer running expired AutoDesk but when you start building it then only you're met with the actual reality.
There can be multiple variations of a single system, ain't it.
Ameit definitely knows more than you and me combined about that system.

Blood+

Country flag
That's exactly the type of scenarios where AHEAD type (type because Turkey and US also have their own copy of it) ammunitions shine. You aim on the nearest rocket, fire 10 rounds and instantly move to the next target without worrying much about this one; coz here the hit probability of those 10 rounds are way higher than that of say 30 20mm rounds.
Not while you are only firing just 5 rounds a sec!! What's the firing rate of the Oerlikon 35 again??

R A Varun

Country flag
RFI is for tank, not ammo. So basically here user wants a gun which could achieve it with standard ammo.

View attachment 200846

War starts from situation like these. Its just the matter of time that who fires the first shot and who is able to absorb the first shot and live to retaliate.
man, seeing this it remembers me yom kippur war documentary, when the syrian tanks found difficulty targetting israeli tanks from high grounds, israeli tanks turkey shot the syrian tanks on high hills using lower grounds, the angle of elevation is more important for tanks to function in the mountaineous terrain, tanks in lower ground can easily pick up the tanks at higher altitude due to elevation and visibility

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Well people have a habit of ranting mindlessly without any reason and without knowing the entire picture, so a line needs to be drawn.
So let's draw a line here Mate, should ya?
Ameit definitely knows more than you and me combined about that system.
Would you bother telling me how you reached the conclusion that he knows more than me or perhaps that I know less than him? What information do you even have about me to reach this conclusion?

He knows more than you and me combined because he can label parts inside a gun without even seeing any cutaway or schematic?
Or maybe he knows more than me because he thought he'll simply copy paste information from a random Bofors brochure and everyone would be fooled to beleive it?
Screenshot_2023-04-19-20-37-10-21_6bcd734b3b4b52977458a65c801426b0.jpg

"DC contacts" "Programmer antenna"

Global Defence

New threads

Articles