DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Nope. I agree for the point about BVR missiles, but this was about SAMs. They do need to often take an indirect path to target, and will really benefit from gimbal.
Fair point but you must also consider the fact that SAMs have radars. In case of high stake dogfight the plane locks it's missile, fires and GTFO as soon as possible. But in case of SAM there are always supporting elements like mid-course update datalink and a fire control radar that had maintained a lock on the target way before the missiles seeker had.

WarmongerLSK

Country flag
I think Meteor is the only active widespread missile that uses PESA coz if I'm not wrong then Japs used a Meteor and modified it's seeker to function as an AESA.
PESA needs gimbal right? If PESA can be used, then AESA must be possible.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
PESA needs gimbal right? If PESA can be used, then AESA must be possible.
Na re; the only difference between PESA and AESA it the arrangement of Tx/Rx and antenna module. In PESA all the individual antennas are fed from a single Transmitter - Receiver module but in case of AESA each individual antenna have its own transmitter - receiver.
That's it, that's the only difference.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Dude you know that pesa and aesa are totally different,u can't modify it
I said they modified the seeker, not the radar itself.
🙂

PESA and AESA both uses fixed antenna with similar Size Weight and Power requirements; as compared to typical gimball of simpler radars so the missile most compatible to be used as AESA testbed was the one that was already closest to it; PESA.

WarmongerLSK

Country flag
Na re; the only difference between PESA and AESA it the arrangement of Tx/Rx and antenna module. In PESA all the individual antennas are fed from a single Transmitter - Receiver module but in case of AESA each individual antenna have its own transmitter - receiver.
That's it, that's the only difference.
Then if PESA was used in Meteor, why not AESA?

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
It's raining contracts!

Brahmos coastal battery first delivery is in 2027 ! That's unbelievably slow ! By that time chinkas would have pumped out 2 dozen destroyers and enough cruise missiles to saturate our coastline.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag

View attachment 200005
And we don't even have an indigenous turbo-prop engine to power HTT ? Do we ?
I agree that chinka's propaganda is strong and these WS-20 engines may be riddled with failures,
But if they produce a shit ton of these and a % of them fail they will still be left with many many standing
aircraft, not to mention true aatmanirbhartha.
Quantity has a quality of its own, something our corrupt gernails and MoD babu never learn and keep ordering dozen of this and half dozen of that like they're buying underwear at some general store. Tchah !
Maulana Modi and Kadi Ninda are prime responsible candidates for not ordering and funding indigenous jet engine and FTB ASAP. Pathetic short term bizman thinking.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
That all is fine but now AESA is being used in missiles, and weight is not an issue since PESA was already used. So, why AESA can't have gimbal in missiles?
Weight of AESA is not an issue, the weight of a gimbal heavy enough to support that heavy AESA antenna is an issue

WarmongerLSK

Country flag
Weight of AESA is not an issue, the weight of a gimbal heavy enough to support that heavy AESA antenna is an issue
You mentioned PESA being used. Which requires gimbal to move it since it can only send the waves in 1 direction. As you said, PESA can be converted to AESA with a few modifications, which I'm assuming are light or are insignificant compared to weight of the radar + gimbal. AESA is now cheap enough to be used in missile. So, what stops AESA being used along with gimbal in missiles? Why is the gimbal which is not heavy when used with PESA become heavy with AESA?

Lonewarrior

Country flag
You mentioned PESA being used. Which requires gimbal to move it since it can only send the waves in 1 direction. As you said, PESA can be converted to AESA with a few modifications, which I'm assuming are light or are insignificant compared to weight of the radar + gimbal. AESA is now cheap enough to be used in missile. So, what stops AESA being used along with gimbal in missiles? Why is the gimbal which is not heavy when used with PESA become heavy with AESA?
😑
Are ChaCha, kaahe faaltu me radar masterclass dilwa rahein hain hmse

1. MSA or Mechanically Scanned Array radar; used on almost all the missile currently in service.
A single TRX module feeding signals to a simple disk antenna mounted on a mechanical gimball. This disk antenna is mechanically steered to scan the environment; can scan a very wide area but at a slower rate. Has numerous cons with with only two pros being extremely cheap and low SWaP (Size, Weight and Power) requirements; but this makes it perfect for expendable applications like missiles.

2. PESA or Passive Electronically Scanned Array radar; used on most of the fighters.
A single TRX module feeding signals to a fixed array of multiple antennas. There're no moving parts and the radar is steered electronically by using constructive and destructive interferences; can scan a smaller area compared to MSA but at an extremely high rate. Almost same SWaP as MSA because whatever weight reduction is made by removing mechanical gimball is gained by additional electronic devices. Better than MSA but expensive. Only example I'm aware of is Meteor.

3. AESA or Active Electronically Scanned Array radar; the gold standard.
Almost similar arrangement of numerous individual antennas into a large array like in PESA but instead of a single TRX unit feeding signals to all of them; now each antenna module has its own TRX module. Again just like PESA the wave is scanned using interferences. Adds more perks like pencil beaming, LPI to PESA. Used by Japs on their AAMs.

4. Mechanically Steered AESA
Mounts the whole AESA radar on a mechanical gimbal. Has all the advantages of AESA together with the advantage of a wide area coverage but on the cost of increased SWaP requirements. Only Typhoon is Chad enough to use this.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles