DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Arpuster

Country flag
5th generation - .....In otherwords: It shall have all 5th avionic and armament attributes except all round stealth. In other words what often Bon Plan says for Rafale while comparing to F22
No thats 4.5 gen. 5 - gen is Low observable also i.e. partial stealth. Besides some 6th gen features will also be present i.e. MUMT, optionally manned, networking and computing. TEDBF will be far ahead of Rafale

AnantS

Country flag
No thats 4.5 gen. 5 - gen is Low observable also i.e. partial stealth. Besides some 6th gen features will also be present i.e. MUMT, optionally manned, networking and computing.
thats what i said... remember 5th gen is not fixed set of requirements. they are getting updated with time. they shall continue to get updated, till a definite set of requirements and design/technology characteristics are defined as minimum threshold for any 6th aircraft.

Arpuster

Country flag
thats what i said... remember 5th gen is not fixed set of requirements. they are getting updated with time. they shall continue to get updated, till a definite set of requirements and design/technology characteristics are defined as minimum threshold for any 6th aircraft.
No you only said 5th gen avionics but the airframe should also be low observable and should confirm to changing requirements which 3 decades old design of Rafale airframe cannot. Moreover, Rafale doesnt comply with any of the present 5th gen requirements like super computing and contemporary engine and avionics. TEDBF will be contemporary 5- gen.

AnantS

Country flag
No you only said 5th gen avionics but the airframe should also be low observable and should confirm to changing requirements which 3 decades old design of Rafale airframe cannot. Moreover, Rafale doesnt comply with any of the present 5th gen requirements like super computing and contemporary engine and avionics. TEDBF will be contemporary 5- gen.
Rafale has Frontal low RCS as well as spectra active cancellation which adds to its signature reduction. Both Rafale and would TEDBF shall be without internal bay. You are basing your statements on assumption that Rafale shall remain standing there. It shall see possible upgradation in next tranches' too. Now unmanned maybe or may not be incorporated. As they have other programmes like neURON and FCAS- and dassault would love to sell those when they are realized. If the latter gets delayed, you shall see further upgradation of Rafale. Also wrt engines, right now TEBDF doesnt have any thing decided. And they are currently trying source british, french or american engine solution. @BON PLAN may have more insights on rafale future roadmap.
Remember navy said its 5th gen -. not 6th gen - nor 4th gen ++

Arpuster

Country flag
Rafale has Frontal low RCS as well as spectra active cancellation which adds to its signature reduction. Both Rafale and would TEDBF shall be without internal bay. You are basing your statements on assumption that Rafale shall remain standing there. It shall see possible upgradation in next tranches' too. Now unmanned maybe or may not be incorporated. As they have other programmes like neURON and FCAS- and dassault would love to sell those when they are realized. If the latter gets delayed, you shall see further upgradation of Rafale. Also wrt engines, right now TEBDF doesnt have any thing decided. And they are currently trying source british, french or american engine solution. @BON PLAN may have more insights on rafale future roadmap.
Remember navy said its 5th gen -. not 6th gen - nor 4th gen ++
Rafale’s RCS is not considered low anymore. In its prime Mirage 2000 was also low observable. Rafale doesnt even have retractable refueling probe. Spectra is just a EW system. All those you quoted are characteristics of 4.5 gen aircrafts. All of 4.5 gen aircrafts have them. The performances may vary to some extend. All 4.5 gen aircrafts will undergo upgrades but they will remain behind the indevelopment 5- gen jets due to older designs of airframes, engines etc. Rafale may become part of MUMT as manned platform but TEDBF from start will have optionally manned features individually.
TEDBF can essentially be Rafale mk2.

Secondly, engine for TEDBF is already decided to be F414. The search is for AMCA mk2 engine and that too not for American, French or British solution but for co development coz right now nobody has the required engine.

AnantS

Country flag
Rafale’s RCS is not considered low anymore. In its prime Mirage 2000 was also low observable. Rafale doesnt even have retractable refueling probe. Spectra is just a EW system. All those you quoted are characteristics of 4.5 gen aircrafts. All of 4.5 gen aircrafts have them. The performances may vary to some extend. All 4.5 gen aircrafts will undergo upgrades but they will remain behind the indevelopment 5- gen jets due to older designs of airframes, engines etc. Rafale may become part of MUMT as manned platform but TEDBF from start will have optionally manned features individually.
TEDBF can essentially be Rafale mk2.

Secondly, engine for TEDBF is already decided to be F414. The search is for AMCA mk2 engine and that too not for American, French or British solution but for co development coz right now nobody has the required engine.
both would having stores hanging outside body. That alone contributes more to RCS than anything. TEDBF is nothing but Rafale on steroids. And its not a bad thing - atleast for Navy's requirements. Navy is quite clear when it says 5 - gen.

Arpuster

Country flag
both would having stores hanging outside body. That alone contributes more to RCS than anything. TEDBF is nothing but Rafale on steroids. And its not a bad thing - atleast for Navy's requirements. Navy is quite clear when it says 5 - gen.
TEDBF will have recessed bay, other RCS reducing features, conformal sensors and better EW. It wont be VLO but definitely LO. As I said it will be Rafale mk2.
Further it will have more power to better assimilate advanced avionics and future weapons.

Last edited:

AnantS

Country flag
TEDBF will have recessed bay, other RCS reducing features, conformal sensors and better EW. It wont be VLO but definitely LO. As I said it will be Rafale mk2.
Again I never contested that. I explained what he meant by Gen 5 - . Not Gen 6- Not Gen 4 +. All the features you listed are essentially Gen 5 -.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
5th generation - .....In otherwords: It shall have all 5th avionic and armament attributes except all round stealth. In other words what often Bon Plan says for Rafale while comparing to F22
Just to make a little correction; generations are defined by something so inherent in design that it can't be just plugged and played in any other generation.

In short; everything that can't be simply upgraded are what defines a generation.

You said 5th gen avionics and armament; so what if I add a podded AESA on centreline pylon, an IRST above the cockpit, two Meteors, two AARAAMs and to top it off athr most advanced flight control system from Garmin on a...Mustang.
So will it too counted as 4.75 or 5-!? I guess no.

There are just two three non-replicable characteristics that define a generation.
You add complete multirole capability in 2nd generation from ground up, you get 3rd. You add things like composite and FBW, you get 4th. Add stealth, you get 5th.

THESIS THORON

Country flag
Just to make a little correction; generations are defined by something so inherent in design that it can't be just plugged and played in any other generation.

In short; everything that can't be simply upgraded are what defines a generation.

You said 5th gen avionics and armament; so what if I add a podded AESA on centreline pylon, an IRST above the cockpit, two Meteors, two AARAAMs and to top it off athr most advanced flight control system from Garmin on a...Mustang.
So will it too counted as 4.75 or 5-!? I guess no.

There are just two three non-replicable characteristics that define a generation.
You add complete multirole capability in 2nd generation from ground up, you get 3rd. You add things like composite and FBW, you get 4th. Add stealth, you get 5th.
I mostly agree with you but stealth is not just result of shaping (although it is major contributor). Most probably it was a marketing gimmick (5- gen) fighter

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles