DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

DEV1729

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Bhim SPH

1. Self propelled Gun on ARJUN Chassis.
Shivers down the spine of IA gernails, trembling and shaking.

2. Using Bharat - 52 Gun.
Entire Chandigarh lobby is restless and sleepless.

Preparing the Summer, winter, monsoon, city, village, town trials and possible induction in 2200.
Didnt baba kalyani bought the ipr of gc45 .It will hurt un gernails

DEV1729

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Yes Yes. Bought the entire factory and IP and ship them back to India. I think they used some tech absorbed from ATAGS program in Bharat 52 like fire control system.
Will this affect israeli howitzer and gun sales

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Bhim SPH

1. Self propelled Gun on ARJUN Chassis.
Shivers down the spine of IA gernails, trembling and shaking.

2. Using Bharat - 52 Gun.
Entire Chandigarh lobby is restless and sleepless.

Preparing the Summer, winter, monsoon, city, village, town trials and possible induction in 2200.
and a reminder that during 155mm howitzer trials of 80s era here, GHN-45 vs FH-77 Bofors happened,

a certain high-rated general was in favour of Bofors BUT the guy conducting trials, Lt.Gen. M. Mayadas was wholly in favour of GHN-45...later Mayadas Committie's report was given remarks USING PENCIL that GHN-45's shells started loosing accuracy above 32 KM of range...WHILE BOFORS ITSELF HAD MAX RANGE OF 28 KM ON NORMAL, NON-BASE BLEED AMMO 🤷‍♂️;
also APU on GHN-45 provided maximum speed of 30 km/hr on road, Mayadas himself mentioned it in his works that ^the peneral who made remarks using pencil^ trialed its mobility in Austria himself,
but somehow FH-77 with barely 8 Km/hr speed was given a go 🤷‍♂️, worse of all Mayadas was sidelined as leader of NCC...from Armed Forces' arms expert to NCC 🤷‍♂️

this GC-45 affairs here are nothing new...and Bofors lied before when we were inducting AA guns and lied-cheated et al again when we were getting Howitzers...we shall see the curse repeating again

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
at least in terms of UBGL we are self-reliant since the OFB made ones which are also standard issue for grenadiers etc, are based on AK system and not NATO styled so it'll go on any AK and INSAS alike, including upcoming AK-203 (though it requires removal of lower handguards)

older OFB UBGL on an AK
View attachment 168203
older OFB UBGL on an INSAS
View attachment 168205
^this UBGL was basically copied from Romanian AG-40 UBGL for AK

nowadays they've adopted new design of UBGL that's basically copy of Arsenal of Bulgaria's M6 UBGL i.e. this, and just like above it's compatible with both AK and INSAS, also AK-203
View attachment 168206

>ok but what about UBGL for Sig-716i?
don't ask me, they have not one but two kopied designs and they could very well change mounts on them to make it adopt for SIG716i picatiny styled system if they want...but lol they are even importing bayonets for SIG716i that has ;made in korea; marking on them
The problem is new UBGL is also a latching design like the previous version and not a rail mounted like m320 or m203 newer versions. Arsenal site states that this can be added to ak103 handguard but the problem is of all the rifles mentioned none were having a handguard with rails, so this might have to be seen if a problem occurs.

If anything poses a problem, IA might as well provide standalone grenade launchers.
1660748497463.png

It would be great if someday, modularity is seen in IA and everything is inducted while maintaining cross compatibility.

Can't the arsenal UBGL be modded to add on sig716, there are handguard rails for a reason on them.
Just don't ask me about OFB, i have -99999 confidence in them. This is one of the only psu I think MoD should dismantle steadily. The sheer scale of pathetic products coming out of them is migraine inducing. I hope indian armed forces steadily increase their ammo orders from private cos.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
The problem is new UBGL is also a latching design like the previous version and not a rail mounted like m320 or m203 newer versions. Arsenal site states that this can be added to ak103 handguard but the problem is of all the rifles mentioned none were having a handguard with rails, so this might have to be seen if a problem occurs.

If anything poses a problem, IA might as well provide standalone grenade launchers.View attachment 168233

It would be great if someday, modularity is seen in IA and everything is inducted while maintaining cross compatibility.

Can't the arsenal UBGL be modded to add on sig716, there are handguard rails for a reason on them.
Just don't ask me about OFB, i have -99999 confidence in them. This is one of the only psu I think MoD should dismantle steadily. The sheer scale of pathetic products coming out of them is migraine inducing. I hope indian armed forces steadily increase their ammo orders from private cos.
saar it is possible to modify that design for picatiny rails - just need to replace mounting section with newer one; heck original design M203 that was meant for M16 is now modernised enough to be adopted for every rifle with picatiny rails; here is picatiny M203 by LMT
1660749320641.png

1660749333362.png

^same can also be thrown on SIG716i

But my personal opinion is to not adopt to either slide open M203 (or those OFB made ones) or M320 style swing open designs - simply because M203 style ones have very limited opening-clearance for newer generation longer 40mm grenades and those side-swing opening M320 etc ones are damn bulky ones...those guys who were given it in US Armed Forces hate it a lot due to weight-imbalance issues...they would rather use it individually

best design should be one with linear weight distribution and one that has swing open barrel so any length 40mm grenades can easily be used - all without compromising balance,
one example is there on Croatian UBGL for VHS-2, where barrel entirely swings open on side (sorry no photos here, suggesting to refer to video on youthoob),
other example is one offered by IWI, their UBGL has design where you push barrel forward a bit then when on centre it swings outside...here a vietnamese fork of IWI's UBGL with GP-25 style trigger mechanism
1660750134098.png

^and both these UBGL comes with their own separate buttstock attachments for individual operations

so..yeah

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
saar it is possible to modify that design for picatiny rails - just need to replace mounting section with newer one; heck original design M203 that was meant for M16 is now modernised enough to be adopted for every rifle with picatiny rails; here is picatiny M203 by LMT
View attachment 168237
View attachment 168238
^same can also be thrown on SIG716i

But my personal opinion is to not adopt to either slide open M203 (or those OFB made ones) or M320 style swing open designs - simply because M203 style ones have very limited opening-clearance for newer generation longer 40mm grenades and those side-swing opening M320 etc ones are damn bulky ones...those guys who were given it in US Armed Forces hate it a lot due to weight-imbalance issues...they would rather use it individually

best design should be one with linear weight distribution and one that has swing open barrel so any length 40mm grenades can easily be used - all without compromising balance,
one example is there on Croatian UBGL for VHS-2, where barrel entirely swings open on side (sorry no photos here, suggesting to refer to video on youthoob),
other example is one offered by IWI, their UBGL has design where you push barrel forward a bit then when on centre it swings outside...here a vietnamese fork of IWI's UBGL with GP-25 style trigger mechanism
View attachment 168243
^and both these UBGL comes with their own separate buttstock attachments for individual operations

so..yeah
Damn..... just saw the Vietnamese made small arms. They are really slaying it in this regard atleast, very pragmatic approach. Makes me wonder, just how behind are we in small arms manufacturing.

Photon

Country flag
𝐋𝐚𝐬𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐜𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐈𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐬 𝐀𝐬𝐢𝐚'𝐬 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐏𝐞𝐭𝐚𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐭 𝐬𝐲𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐦 𝐢𝐧 𝐈𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐚

Laser Science Services (I) Pvt. Ltd. is super proud to have installed the ALPHA XS 1.5 PetaWatt system from Thales, the first ever Petawatt system at the Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology (RRCAT) Indore.
All of this was made possible by our excellent service and sales teams, who have been working on this project relentlessly to make it a success. For more than 35 years, Thales has been a world leader in the design, development and manufacturing of high-energy diode-pumped and flashlamp-pumped nanosecond lasers for industrial applications, as well as powerful ultrashort pulse Ti:Sa femtosecond laser systems, boasting a power of up to 10 petawatts, for scientific applications.

Thales offers the most powerful lasers in the market, having set the current peak power world record of 10 petawatts in March 2019. Today, Thales stands way ahead of its competitors as the best choice for providing reliable, optimum-performance laser systems to researchers in particle physics, nuclear physics and extreme light physics, while ensuring upgradeability and ease of maintenance.
1660778662486.png
1660778707289.png

Arihant Roy

Country flag
Shri Rajnath Singh handed over the upgraded commanders thermal imaging sight designed by IRDE to the Army.

FaRsCeAaAAAfff7.jpeg

Commander sight of Battle Tank T-90, India’s premier battle tank, is presently fitted with Image Converter (IC) tube-based sight for night viewing.

The new retro-modified Commander sight employs a thermal imager capable of detecting the targets at 8 Kms during day and night and a Laser Range Finder (LRF) to find the ranges accurately up to 5 Kms, thereby enhancing its capability.

A3A17C96-07C6-4A2D-8573-65F50095F567.jpeg

flanker99

Country flag
Delays and changes in decisions have affected the expansion of the Indian Air Force’s (IAF) minuscule fleet of AEW aircraft.

Three Embraer 145 Netra AEW platforms developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) were built, and Shephard has learned a repeat order is in the offing for six more EMB-145s.

The DRDO’s Centre for Airborne Studies (CABS) has also designed a 360° radar system to fit on Airbus A330s. These would have complemented and shared commonality with the A330 MRTT, for which bids were released and then cancelled.

However, CABS’ detailed A330 plans have been put aside, citing high aircraft acquisition costs.

It is, therefore, back to the drawing board to turn six 20-year-old A321s into AEW aircraft called the Netra Mk 2. Five A321s were bought from Air India for around $25 million two years ago, but four remain parked at Hindon Air Base near Delhi and one at HAL.

Design work is underway, and discussions are on with OEM Airbus for structural modifications.

As one electronics engineer pointed out, ‘But Airbus cannot start work unless the design is completed. This project could take at least six years.’

Furthermore, Shephard has learned that the modification cost would be similar to the price of buying new aircraft. ‘This is penny wise, pound foolish,’ added the engineer.

S. Christopher, DRDO Chairman, said, ‘One of the dilemmas is delay. The E-145 Netra already has a “Make in India” mantra, learnings are there, and the cost of maintenance is low compared to the Phalcons.’

He added that the CABS’ A330 radome would have given 360° coverage and more endurance. Conversely, ‘The A321s may cost more, take more time and end up with 240° coverage.’

Challenges are many, including technology issues and semiconductor chip availability, but Indian industry is making moves. Controllers and transmit and receive modules (TRM) are key. Cyient-designed lightweight TRMs for the AESA radar are being tested.

Srinivasagopalan Rangarajan, Chairman and MD of Data Patterns, told Shephard his company was working with DRDO on subsystems and radars that would be ready in the next two years.

An official said that if the DRDO transfers technology to private companies, 'it will speed processes'.

The IAF also has three Phalcon AEW platforms, mounted on ageing Il-76 airframes.

Global Defence

Articles