DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
The Ministry of Defence is now ready for a big push to #AtmanirbharBharat initiative. MoD will introduce import embargo on 101 items beyond given timeline to boost indigenisation of defence production.

Prime Minister Shri
@narendramodi
has given a clarion call for a self-reliant India based on the five pillars, i.e., Economy, Infrastructure, System, Demography & Demand and announced a special economic package for Self-Reliant India named ‘Atamnirbhar Bharat’.

Taking cue from that evocation, the Ministry of Defence has prepared a list of 101 items for which there would be an embargo on the import beyond the timeline indicated against them. This is a big step towards self-reliance in defence. #AtmanirbharBharat

This decision will offer a great opportunity to the Indian defence industry to manufacture the items in the negative list by using their own design and development capabilities or adopting the technologies designed & developed by DRDO to meet the requirements of the Armed Forces.

The list is prepared by MoD after several rounds of consultations with all stakeholders, including the Armed Forces, public & private industry to assess current and future capabilities of the Indian industry for manufacturing various ammunition & equipment within India.

All sorts of superficial changes without probing the indivisuals who are responsible for rigging indigenous product.

Cheran

Country flag

another_armchair

Country flag
If this 'atmanirbhar' asshattery flops at implementation stage(amply witnessed in the past), who will ensure our armed forces are adequately stocked?

The skeptic in me only see's how cleverly Babudom has dragged the Govt & national security into deeper peril with a clever weapons denial strategy. How did this even pass through scrutiny? How do these suggestions get approval from top bosses without alternatives existing within the country?

Extreme measures like these to save chump change will always lead to us playing catch up. BC can't manufacture a quality kitchen knife and enjoy economies of scale and still be profitable but will throw a spanner into whatever little war fighting capabilities exist within the forces.

Only see more ToTs and screwdriveri either at OFB's or donors from private industry.

Ack thoo.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
If this 'atmanirbhar' asshattery flops at implementation stage(amply witnessed in the past), who will ensure our armed forces are adequately stocked?

The skeptic in me only see's how cleverly Babudom has dragged the Govt & national security into deeper peril with a clever weapons denial strategy. How did this even pass through scrutiny? How do these suggestions get approval from top bosses without alternatives existing within the country?

Extreme measures like these to save chump change will always lead to us playing catch up. BC can't manufacture a quality kitchen knife and enjoy economies of scale and still be profitable but will throw a spanner into little war fighting capabilities of forces.

Only see more ToTs and screwdriveri either at OFB's or donors from private industry.

Ack thoo.
well we have already seen that indigenous items are never ordered or by the time they are ordered they become obsolete. Looks like a perfect strategy to deny world class weapons to our forces. Ironically it is similar to Antony era where fear of corruption lead to complete disaster and now it is lame excuse of aatmnirbharta.

another_armchair

Country flag
we also import useless weapons for buying favour what about that.
We saw firsthand, albeit tragically how effective Spyder SAM's are.
Babudom tried everything within their means to scuttle that deal.

Where is the local SRSAM/QRSAM? What did Trishul achieve?

Certain big ticket weapons purchases from known friendlies helps us in keeping our heads above the water in geopolitics and also prevent our hostile neighbors from getting the same weapon platforms.

The only way out is to get overwhelming conventional advantage against local adversaries. Forget strategic, we are at sub optimal level at the conventional stage w.r.t Pakistan at the ground forces level though.

I heard Elbit Athos is likely to cost half or almost a third of what is being quoted for the ATAGS. How do we overcome this price anomaly?

Should Indian taxpayer pay twice, thrice the price for a weapon system and put money into the hands of industry? Won't someone in the opposition or media cry scam?

Last edited:

Karthi

Country flag
This will happen.

It looks more like economic rather than defence tech . Licenced production will give experience and job to Indians . At l this government trying to do something.

Chinese copy paste products was far too much Inferior to the original one when they start to develop . Many products rejected / asked for redesign by Chinese military. Even the upgraded ones was Inferior still they started to induct , this gave them massive experience . Old Chinese missiles are CEP in the ranges of Kilo metres now latest Chinese missiles are single digit accuracy . Ther Submarines are copied and Inferior , noise levels are far too high current Chinese subs can somewhat match western standards.

The greatest example is Chinese Smartphones I m sure all of you know older Chinese phones are so cheap only have loud speakers we used them for our Local DJ parties , today the entire world is using Chinese Smartphones .

We should need to improve our manufacturing skills and manufacturing things us the only solution .

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
It looks more like economic rather than defence tech . Licenced production will give experience and job to Indians . At l this government trying to do something.

Chinese copy paste products was far too much Inferior to the original one when they start to develop . Many products rejected / asked for redesign by Chinese military. Even the upgraded ones was Inferior still they started to induct , this gave them massive experience . Old Chinese missiles are CEP in the ranges of Kilo metres now latest Chinese missiles are single digit accuracy . Ther Submarines are copied and Inferior , noise levels are far too high current Chinese subs can somewhat match western standards.

The greatest example is Chinese Smartphones I m sure all of you know older Chinese phones are so cheap only have loud speakers we used them for our Local DJ parties , today the entire world is using Chinese Smartphones .

We should need to improve our manufacturing skills and manufacturing things us the only solution .

vishnugupt

Country flag
People need to understand what level of Armed forces's recklessness has reached where the government have to make a law for something which could have done by just merely exchanging few words.
Initially, the Government used to request Armed forces to buy Desi then start telling it then the government even tried to force down indigenous products but Armed forces became so maniac for foreign weapons that now the government has to make a law.
Now it became crystal clear where the fault lies for India being insufficient in defense fr years.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Putting LCA and LCH in this list, gives us very deeper insight about why LCA mk1A and LCH deal haven't signed yet? Armed forces were actually trying to kill these two products due to their maniac behavior to buy 114 Gripen and Apaches.
I think, for the last option, Government may soon start firing/voluntary retirement of high-rank officers

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Of Course your list... I did not see the other one...
Oh.. this is just about 12% of their total product portfolio and it keeps getting updated every year. this is a list of things I was interested in last year.

DRDO product portfolio is huge and has a wide range. I doubt if there is any other such organisation with such a range anywhere in the world right now.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Oh.. this is just about 12% of their total product portfolio and it keeps getting updated every year. this is a list of things I was interested in last year.

DRDO product portfolio is huge and has a wide range. I doubt if there is any other such organisation with such a range anywhere in the world right now.
Most of them are useless products.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles