DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

porky_kicker

Country flag
how can a slbm have fins and in which section? it means that it is very sophisticated missile.:hmm:
The fins i believe are retracted initially but deployed in flight if required

I am suspecting payload section maybe , the payload section would need trajectory control

It might be deployed if highly depressed flight trajectories are required, otherwise not deployed maybe .

I am 100% sure fins are there , but i am not sure about other details.

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
ICV Abhay Mk. II will debut this year. Will be manufactured until FICV starts arriving in 2027.
Thank you, thank you! :truestory: Expected at Defexpo?

Whatever happened to the original Abhay!? After 2010, it as if vanished in thin air. No word, no news... Not even concepts.
IMG_20200122_163717.jpg

PS: This is how you get a heavily armoured IFV afloat, but if built with Kevlar layers, can that balloon act as slat-armour & bounce off RPG?

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Can the good people of DFI help me test this theory?

Supporting and opposing views welcome.

Theory: Purchase of foreign equipment or munitions are not being allowed to go ahead unless there is a domestic alternative in the same category, since 2015.

There maybe a few exceptions like chinook, but it’s not a rule.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Purchase of foreign equipment or munitions are not being allowed to go ahead unless there is a domestic alternative in the same category, since 2015.
"unless there is a domestic alternative"... Is or isn't?

But Athos, Ka-226, more T-90S, (for desert sector when Arjun Mark 1A cleared all trials just earlier), P-75I ToT (instead on building on Kalvari's experience) etc. may suggest otherwise.
Its only that since 2014, indigenous R&D has gathered steam, for which the results are showing now; maybe the govt is pushing a bit harder.

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
"unless there is a domestic alternative"... Is or isn't?

But Athos, Ka-226, more T-90S, (for desert sector when Arjun Mark 1A cleared all trials just earlier), P-75I ToT (instead on building on Kalvari's experience) etc. may suggest otherwise.
Its only that since 2014, indigenous R&D has gathered steam, for which the results are showing now; maybe the govt is pushing a bit harder.
“There is a domestic alternative”.

AnantS

Country flag
“There is a domestic alternative”.
Not that i disagree with you. But given govt tolerates shenanigans like this. I really dont have much hope in this strategy, Proverbial frogs in box phenomena prevents timely if any outcomes of indigenous products

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Not that i disagree with you. But given govt tolerates shenanigans like this. I really dont have much hope in this strategy, Proverbial frogs in box phenomena prevents timely if any outcomes of indigenous products
Stick to defence products please, otherwise I would have posted the query in economy thread.

AnantS

Country flag
Stick to defence products please, otherwise I would have posted the query in economy thread.
sure. Can give similar example in defence too. Let me ask for basic requirement for assault rifles, why was Assault Rifle sourced from outside -when local alternatives could be developed? Infact ARDE could have modified MCIWS for single caliber? Or when they could have done some emergency purchases, while pushing for further refinement of local alternative ?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
sure. Can give similar example in defence too. Let me ask for basic requirement for assault rifles, why was Assault Rifle sourced from outside -when local alternatives could be developed? Infact ARDE could have modified MCIWS for single caliber? Or when they could have done some emergency purchases, while pushing for further refinement of local alternative ?
You have to factor in private companies like L&T,Punj Lloyd & SSS as well.

Please re-read by original statement, I am not limiting to govt companies alone. “Domestic alternatives” being the key word.

Whether defence forces buy or not in the initial rounds is a different matter, my point is purchases are going forward only after a domestic alternative is available.

As far as emergency purchases are concerned, I think dilution of 370 & balakot strikes explains the hurry. They wanted to be prepared for worst case scenario.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Please re-read by original statement, I am not limiting to govt companies alone. “Domestic alternatives” being the key word.

Whether defence forces buy or not in the initial rounds is a different matter, my point is purchases are going forward only after a domestic alternative is available.

As far as emergency purchases are concerned, I think dilution of 370 & balakot strikes explains the hurry. They wanted to be prepared for worst case scenario.
do u have any update of shakti torpedo.

AnantS

Country flag

Yes your original statement talks about domestic alternatives, ARDE MCIWS or OFB Guns were domestic alternatives. nowhere you mentioned that by domestic alternatives you only meant private domestic alternatives. Sure along with ARDE, et al other private players could have been tasked for the same. I am just trying to say, things dont seem as chocolaty as we want to believe. Why I have Train 18 as an example, because this was one project pushed at PM level and hailed as Make in India center piece. How it was sabotaged and curiously tenders floated to Global Vendors to "improve" train 18 by railway ministry - is something to wonder and reminds me of such sagas in defence too (Arjun - t 90 anyone?)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles