DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Blood+

Country flag
I am not rejecting the idea of jetpacks totally.
I believe it can be used by very small contingents of well trained Special Forces to launch surprise attacks if they are able to fly undetected. Probably an smoke screen using gas cannisters can be created to hide the movement. Am a bit sceptical whether it will work in practical.
Yeah, with the amount of noise these will produce, you won't be surprising anyone who isn't completely deaf, that's for certain. Might as well announce over loudspeakers that you'd be coming.
Let's not try to sugarcoat it, it's completely impractical. The only theater I can envisage these being even remotely useful is in an urban setting.
One comical angle to the debate.
If the jetpack soldier is flying a hundred or more metres above the ground can an heat seeking shoulder fired SAM be fired to bring him down or a simple Assault Rifle/LMG fire is sufficient.
A single lucky hit to the gas tank could turn the jetpack and its wearer into a very expensive firework show. So yeah, it'll be indeed quite comical...... for the enemy that is.
I really don't know how the concept would work on the actual battlefield.Maybe the US Army could set an example by using it for Green Beret operations against the Houthi Militia.
It will never work.

karn

Country flag
I am not trying to undermine your argument.
But still wondering how would it work on the battlefield.
Do you envisage moving a company strength force across the minefield or even a battalion strength force.
What would be the cost implications for a company size or a battalion size being equipped with jetpack.

And God help us if after successfully crossing/flying over the minefield(is it anti tank or anti personal mines or a mixture of both)the jetpack of a few soldiers break down. What happens now.How can they return to base when an uncleared minefield stands between them and the home base.
Will they ride piggyback/ shoulder back on the other members of the force whose jetpack are still working. Can one jetpack support 2 soldiers.

I am not rejecting the idea of jetpacks totally.
I believe it can be used by very small contingents of well trained Special Forces to launch surprise attacks if they are able to fly undetected. Probably an smoke screen using gas cannisters can be created to hide the movement. Am a bit sceptical whether it will work in practical.

One comical angle to the debate.
If the jetpack soldier is flying a hundred or more metres above the ground can an heat seeking shoulder fired SAM be fired to bring him down or a simple Assault Rifle/LMG fire is sufficient.

I really don't know how the concept would work on the actual battlefield.Maybe the US Army could set an example by using it for Green Beret operations against the Houthi Militia.
So in any army the way one attacks across a mine field is .
Suppressive fire in the area where you want to make a breach . You obscure the area of the breach with smoke . You send your breaching teams and their security forward . Then they start clearing a lane .
Now the enemy will try and disrupt this by calling in artillery , hitting your armoured bulldozers and other breaching equipment .
So in my opinion as the lane clearing starts . A jet pack unit should try and infiltrate between enemy posts to disrupt the work of ATGM crews MMG gunners and observers and can act as forward observers themselves.. SO that the lane clearing team can work with less incoming fire . The jet pack unit itself can be relieved /reenforced when the lane is complete and the assault unit makes it across.

Blood+

Country flag
So in any army the way one attacks across a mine field is .
Suppressive fire in the area where you want to make a breach . You obscure the area of the breach with smoke . You send your breaching teams and their security forward . Then they start clearing a lane .
Now the enemy will try and disrupt this by calling in artillery , hitting your armoured bulldozers and other breaching equipment .
So in my opinion as the lane clearing starts . A jet pack unit should try and infiltrate between enemy posts to disrupt the work of ATGM crews MMG gunners and observers .. SO that the lane clearing team can work with less incoming fire . The jet pack unit itself can be relieved /reenforced when the lane is complete and the assault unit makes it across.
Yeah, great plan, if they were the Adeptus Astartes.

karn

Country flag
Yeah, great plan, if they were the Adeptus Astartes.
Nobody keeps massed infantry at the contact line for fear of artillery. It will be observers mmg ,atgm crews and their security with the rest in reserve waiting to counterattack any breach . If the defending commander is forced to commit his reserves prematurely due to a surprise crossing by attacking infantry that is a larger win for the attacker.

Blood+

Country flag
Nobody keeps massed infantry at the contact line for fear of artillery. It will be observers mmg ,atgm crews and their security with the rest in reserve waiting to counterattack any breach .
Yeah, the Ukrainians and their NATO masters believed the same and got absolutely shafted by the Ruskies.
If the defending commander is forced to commit his reserves prematurely due to a surprise crossing by attacking infantry that is a larger win for the attacker.
You speak of surprise??!! Don't make me laugh. Do you know how noisy these things are??!! Surprise my ass, you might as well announce your arrival over loudspeakers.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag

Aab kia hua? When will these accounts learn to not post without context?

Drdo chief says order in March couple of weeks ago and Twitter says dead.

karn

Country flag
Yeah, the Ukrainians and their NATO masters believed the same and got absolutely shafted by the Ruskies.
Neither side is massing infantry in defence in that war . They are massing mines and extensive defense works which the small amount of infantry is switching between.
You speak of surprise??!! Don't make me laugh. Do you know how noisy these things are??!! Surprise my ass, you might as well announce your arrival over loudspeakers.
The surprise is of the enemy infantry appearing on the wrong side of the minefield .
The artillery is firing the breaching teams are working ..sound is hardly an issue at this point.

Blood+

Country flag
Neither side is massing infantry in defence in that war .
Yeah, exactly, that's my whole point. Those small mobile ATGM and GPMG teams were enough to take apart entire attacking Ukrainian combined armored - infantry columns all by themselves. You think a few jetpacks will make any difference??!! And if they can spot ground vehicles from a mile away, they can most certainly do the same for a bunch of guys clumsily flying towards them.
The surprise is of the enemy infantry appearing on the wrong side of the minefield .
If they can hear them coming from a fucking mile away, they how on earth can it remain a surprise!!
The artillery is firing the breaching teams are working ..sound is hardly an issue at this point.
Listen, if the artillery has started firing on your breaching teams, presumably with drone support, your operation is already done and dusted and it's time to pack up and go home.

A far safer and not to mention several orders of magnitude more practical option would be to bring the old T-55s and Vijayantas out of the stockades and turn them into remotely operated engineering vehicles.

Last edited:

karn

Country flag
Yeah, exactly, that's my whole point. Those small mobile ATGM and GPMG groups were enough to take apart entire attacking Ukrainian combined armored - infantry columns. You think a few jetpacks will make any difference??!!
Yes . The minefields and fortifications are what cause the armoured and infantry to stop moving causing them to get hit by arty . Bypass these and the advantage of the defending infantry disappears.
If they can hear them coming from a fucking mile away, they how on earth can it remain a surprise!!
These are electric engines unlike the micro turbine these ones are much quieter. You certainly cant hear these from a "mile" away.
Listen, if the artillery has started firing on your breaching teams, presumably with drone support, your operation is already done and dusted and it's time to pack up and go home.
Enemy artillery fire is inevitable. Moving attacking troops to the contact line complicates their work.

Blood+

Country flag
Yes . The minefields and fortifications are what cause the armoured and infantry to stop moving causing them to get hit by arty . Bypass these and the advantage of the defending infantry disappears.
Dude, even the Ukrainian columns that did manage to breach the minefields were beaten by much smaller but more mobile hunting parties of Russian infantry.

These are electric engines unlike the micro turbine these ones are much quieter. You certainly cant hear these from a "mile" away.
Enemy artillery fire is inevitable.
Then employing jetpacks would be even more stupid. Just use your old decommissioned/ mothballed AFVs as improvised mine-clearing vehicles and job done. @Bleh

Moving attacking troops to the contact line complicates their work.
Did you even read what I just commented??!! They wouldn't need artillery to deal with a few jet packers assuming they can even reach the other side without getting blown up mid-air.

Last edited:

karn

Country flag
Dude, even the Ukrainian columns that did manage to breach the minefields were beaten by much smaller but more mobile hunting parties of Russian infantry.

Then employing jetpacks would be even more stupid. Just use your old decommissioned/ mothballed AFVs as improvised mine-clearing vehicles and job done.

Did you even read what I just commented??!! They wouldn't need artillery to deal with a few jet packers assuming they can even reach the other side without getting blown up mid-air.
This discussion ain't fruitful , we are talking past each other half the time .
I'm just happy that the army is trying something new .. you can feel free to seethe .
ciao

Blood+

Country flag

jai jaganath

Country flag
Naa not trusting this shit at all will wait until something conclusive comes or will wait for March to end AON has been granted how tf do you reduce no. After that
At first I never used to trust these Twitter analysts baring few but nowadays even sometimes they have some reliable stuff
Anyway should wait

R A Varun

Country flag
Jetpack will win wars according to importjeets
quick reinforcements and crossing enemy lines for tactical attacks yes, jet packs do provide help, we cannot always go with paradrop in current anti air defence threats around himalayas and western border, we do need something innovative, where soldiers can hop from mountain to mountain provided they have already built up landing pads, which can be a size of 30x40 pr 10x10 feet.

these jetpacks if really optimised for the himalayan high altitute atmosphere will have nightmares for chinks pouring in.

Rezang la type of scenarios might be avoided in future with immediate reinforcements.

these jetpacks can also be used to attack enemy artillery and radar position with flying soldiers, it is easy to target a handfull of helicopter with stingers, but a hundred jetpacks aided soldiers with raining down fire that will be one hell of a task to the enemy artillery and soft targets.

Blood+

Country flag
quick reinforcements and crossing enemy lines for tactical attacks yes, jet packs do provide help, we cannot always go with paradrop in current anti air defence threats around himalayas and western border, we do need something innovative, where soldiers can hop from mountain to mountain provided they have already built up landing pads, which can be a size of 30x40 pr 10x10 feet.

these jetpacks if really optimised for the himalayan high altitute atmosphere will have nightmares for chinks pouring in.

Rezang la type of scenarios might be avoided in future with immediate reinforcements.

these jetpacks can also be used to attack enemy artillery and radar position with flying soldiers, it is easy to target a handfull of helicopter with stingers, but a hundred jetpacks aided soldiers with raining down fire that will be one hell of a task to the enemy artillery and soft targets.
Somebody played COD and Halo for a tad too long it'd appear

jai jaganath

Country flag
Folks do u guys have idea when will model code of conduct will be implemented coz after that decisions can't be taken
Bcoz many approvals are being pending infront of ccs
- 307 atags
- prachand
- LUH
- Indigenous heli launched atgms
- 84 su-30mki upgrades
- 3 scorpene subs
- mk1a and aircraft carrier make take time
- qrsam is expected in 2025 ig
- akash ng
- Garuda 105mm
- most importantly AMCA aprroval
- many other things I couldn't recall
And further more will pile up in upcoming week as 6+3 awacs comjac being approved and maybe refuelers
@Chinmoy @NoobWannaLearn @Arihant Roy
@patriots