DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Tridev123

Country flag
I agree with your sentiment, but we need to be rational about it. DRDO needs reform. This new narrative that reforming DRDO means an end to indigenous products. I don't buy it. There are genuine inefficiencies in that organisation. Also, it seems to me that they need to use the DCPP model a lot more frequently.

Moreover, License production with 100% tech transfer can be good too, after all, Hermes gives you another manufacturer of drones. Manufacturing and Design both are important. China didn't just make what we call "IDDM" most of the time. Sometimes they just buy the design off the shelf (Lavi -> J10) or purchase IPR for certain components, they do license production and then reverse-engineering, etc. They did all this to build up the manufacturing capacity of their companies. Indian PSU also become capable of manufacturing weapons by license production.
Reforms in the DRDO or any other organisation like HAL etc with the objective of improvement in its working efficiency are certainly welcome.
But bad mouthing an Indian research organisation and listing out only the defects while at the same time eulogising imported equipment is really not the most desirable practice.

I agree that some essential imports in defense are sometimes unavoidable. Example is the Rafale.Needed for deterrence against China. Even then it would be a temporary step until we develop equally capable fighter aircraft.

But our longterm objective should be to become fully self sufficient in armaments. Because relying on another country to supply our armaments is not wise.Nations can change their positions and policies to suit their geopolitical interests.And the geopolitical situation need not be constant.

To put it crudely,a friend today can turn into an adversary tomorrow.

To take it to a personal level.We are very harsh in criticising Indian Organisations while comparing them to the best in the developed countries .
But do we apply the same harsh standards to assess ourselves in work or academics.

Let's say that HAL or BEL is inferior to IAI/Elbit in productivity and innovation.
But assuming that one is an engineering professional are we equal in knowledge and productivity to the average Israeli engineer.

We need to create an ecosystem of world class Universities and Colleges in order to create the workforce which will deliver world class products and services.

shade

Country flag
What's the status on the Tata Kestrle/DRDO Whap?
On Tata's website they show it off with the Kongsberg turret instead of the BMP-2 one, but with (((Stryker))) being shilled for i hope they haven't cancelled any orders

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles