DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars These are antiarmour ones with different casings, charge propellants, and penetrator optimizations prolly different semimolten jet specifics, we had a 40mm FSAPDS from the days of Abhay so nothing new. It's for AAP-Tr and the 2A42 "Medak" lineage not AA.

image0.jpg

Last edited:

standard snowball

Country flag
Matching camo on every piece of equipment. Helmet cover, belts, harness, pouches, BPJs/PCs, hopefully.
For the love of God please implement a decent camo on our military vehicles too,
koi bhi digitally disruptive pattern chalega, but just do it,
I am so freaking tired of the 60s camo present on our vehicles.
Compare that to Chinese aur Chullu bhar pani no doob Jane ka man karta hai.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars These are antiarmour ones with different casings, charge propellants, and penetrator optimizations prolly different semimolten jet specifics, we had a 40mm FSAPDS from the days of Abhay so nothing new. It's for AAP-Tr and the 2A42 "Medak" lineage not AA.

View attachment 216745
Interesting that they're going for this design.

Usually almost all the 20-30mm calibre APFSDS are more or less like this Murican design
Screenshot_2023-08-01-21-38-46-64_6bcd734b3b4b52977458a65c801426b0.jpg

Even the Russian ones
Screenshot_2023-08-01-21-46-18-18_6bcd734b3b4b52977458a65c801426b0.jpg

Except for one very particular example;
the Chinese 30x165mm APFSDS
Screenshot_2023-08-01-21-37-00-24_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Interesting that they're going for this design.

Usually almost all the 20-30mm calibre APFSDS are more or less like this Murican design
View attachment 216754
Even the Russian ones
View attachment 216756
Except for one very particular example;
the Chinese 30x165mm APFSDS
View attachment 216755
Ya'll Nibbiars Haan, woh sabot hai sirf. Propellant Cartridge nahi dikhaya hai.

This one either goes inside a cartridge like NATO 1 piece ammo.

Or stays as it is and is inserted with propellant bag seperately like in Russian 2 piece ammo.

Talking about 120mm and 125mm faspds respectively.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Do you have any website of HQIDS or anything from where I can gather more resources about our Defence space agency,
I couldn't find any official source that has proper details of DSA
C'mon Bruh...

HQ-IDS would be the unified commanding agency for the
> existing Defence Intelligence Agency (the sneaky bastards) and the upcoming
> Strategic Missile Command (overseeing all nuclear missiles)
> Armed Forces Special Operations Division (the desi JSOC)
> Defence Cyber Agency (one the most vulnerable dimension of Indian military, obviously after mine warfare 😊)
> Defence Space Agency (if you're following the ongoing StarLink saga in Ukr-Rus conflict you know how important this is going to be)

Which one of these big names seems casual enough that you'd find resources online!?
Those Make-I/II list and maybe guesstimations from NOTAMs would be the closest we can get to know them.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
these are short darts?
Yup, primary ammunition used on western Infantry Fighting Vehicles. Not so much in our BMP-2s as these tend to be bit costly.

It's good to see they're planning for it as these can be devasting to even a tank if you manage to somehow sneak behind it or flank it. There's a video of Ukrainian BTR-3 engaging a T-72

mcpo117

Country flag
Yup, primary ammunition used on western Infantry Fighting Vehicles. Not so much in our BMP-2s as these tend to be bit costly.

It's good to see they're planning for it as these can be devasting to even a tank if you manage to somehow sneak behind it or flank it. There's a video of Ukrainian BTR-3 engaging a T-72
I thought India just started to produce sabots recently. if we had these for a long time then should have been made widespread across armor.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
I thought India just started to produce sabots recently. if we had these for a long time then should have been made widespread across armor.
We had the technical know-how of making APFSDS for a very long time, but it was more focused on tank 120/125mm rounds not so much on smaller 30mm caliber.

Sometimes it becomes easier to work on bigger examples than miniaturizing it. It's easier to turn a 25mm diameter tungsten rod on a lathe than to do it on a small 5mm one.

Another issue is rifling. When you fire an APFSDS from a rifled barrel then the round will inherently rotate but APFSDS are Fin Stabilized so ultimately the round will tumble down as soon it leaves the barrel. So in rifled tank guns (like Challenger) the APFSDS has a "obturator" which causes the sabot to engage the rifling and rotate freely while the actual dart remains fixed because of fins. Making this system for a 120mm shell is easy coz you've enough space but for packing everything in a 30mm shell you need some engineering.

standard snowball

Country flag
existing Defence Intelligence Agency (the sneaky bastards)
Then why is military intelligence still alive, and what different information will DIA bring in comparison to military intelligence how is DIA going to coordinate with the armed forces at the battlefield (because IDS being a different command means the relationship between IDS and Indian armed forces is not going to be any different from R&AW and Indian military relation)

and the upcoming Strategic Missile Command (overseeing all nuclear missiles)
Why would be strategic missile command be under IDS, SFC is a separate command of its own and is well integrated with NCA, bringing them under IDS doesn't make any sense it would only add to complexity in the command structure.

Defence Cyber Agency (one the most vulnerable dimension of Indian military, obviously after mine warfare 😊)
In a country where PMO can get nearly hacked I have little to no hope for our cyberwarfare capabilities, I just hope DCA changes this situation

Defence Space Agency (if you're following the ongoing StarLink saga in Ukr-Rus conflict you know how important this is going to be)
Yes I know the importance of space force, check my posts on the space force thread, I am writing a full on thesis on this.

Which one of these big names seems casual enough that you'd find resources online!?
Nevermind https://ids.nic.in/ has enough resources to make a basic informed guess, also my main question in the previous post was about the command structure and other rudimentary stuff about IDS, which I thought would be available online

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles