DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

not so dravidian

Country flag
Chinese medium infantry brigade has wheeled apc/if with medium calibre turrets of 30mm cannon and amphibious capabilities in Tibetan region.
Americans are upgrading their strykers with 30mm ABM cannons as they lacked firepower to combat conventional forces.
Le* Indian army: Orders Whap variant without autocannon and amphibious capabilities.View attachment 150618
30mm apfsds rounds r in development.
Turret: no idea

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
30mm apfsds rounds r in development.
Turret: no idea
What will we do without a turret, 30mm apfsds is no biggie, Russian lincense copy of both he/ap round is taking place at OFB including gun and bmp 2 turret. We are still to see any further news on drdo FICV concept or is it still same old abhay but few improvements.
What i am waiting for is light tank and to see what new gen tech does drdo employs on it, might give some hints on FRCV and FICV. IMO FMBT is taking precedence in drdo and FICV is still far away.
What we need is Moder turret with 30/40mm gun with air burst capability, anti tank missiles, Moder EO Fire control systems, COAPS, integrated APS.
Something like Russian boomerang rcws which can be used on various platforms.

Last edited:

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
IDK but I have a strong feeling that the same role of IPMV could have been completed by a 6*6 MRAP with RCWS at lower costs albeit at a little reduced mobility.
I hope our infantry brigades get armoured transport solutions as well instead of old age canvas unarmoured trucks. Chinese have seriously improved in this regard, they have opted for HMV with both 4*4 and 6*6 variants.
On case of conflict, these are the light armoured vehicles and infantry brigades we will be facing against our unarmoured trucks and mainly foot infantry.
I think, that's exactly why we are seeing these little orders of armoured vehicles as we were surprised by chinese capability.

radion

Country flag
IDK but I have a strong feeling that the same role of IPMV could have been completed by a 6*6 MRAP with RCWS at lower costs albeit at a little reduced mobility.
I hope our infantry brigades get armoured transport solutions as well instead of old age canvas unarmoured trucks. Chinese have seriously improved in this regard, they have opted for HMV with both 4*4 and 6*6 variants.
On case of conflict, these are the light armoured vehicles and infantry brigades we will be facing against our unarmoured trucks and mainly foot infantry.
I think, that's exactly why we are seeing these little orders of armoured vehicles as we were surprised by chinese capability.
For the 4x4 shouldn't we go the jltv way? Heard the Americans are replacing their humvee

SUPERPOWER

Country flag
We also have 3 IMPV, 1 MPV , 3 Kalyani M4....please donot worry....if not we also have thousands of Modernized Gypsies which can also carry 30 mm automatic canon ....so chill..

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag
Regarding Gypsy does army recently planning to replace them? Few options are Thar, Gurkha and Jimny.
While Jimny is more or less a pocket 4*4 similar to Gypsy but on the other hand the Thar and Gurkha has better space and pretty powerful engines ( Thar has 150 bhp engine while Gurkha can have 140 Bhp engine).

Let's see how this procurement goes out.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag

arkos

Country flag
Regarding Gypsy does army recently planning to replace them? Few options are Thar, Gurkha and Jimny.
While Jimny is more or less a pocket 4*4 similar to Gypsy but on the other hand the Thar and Gurkha has better space and pretty powerful engines ( Thar has 150 bhp engine while Gurkha can have 140 Bhp engine).

Let's see how this procurement goes out.
Gypsies are already being replaced in certain categories, in General Service by Tata Safari Storme (3192 ordered), in Light strike vehicles by Mahindra ASLV (1500 ordered) and Unknown number of Rakshak Plus. Also both the Paras and Garuds have also ordered Force Gurkhas to replace their Gypsies. Expect more orders for Safari Storme and Mahindra ASLV since due to large requirementw, orders are always given in batches and improvements are made in subsequent batches from the experience in service.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
@Aditya Ballal see the below video. It got painted and pumps attached.
Video is from September 2021, the RCWS on it is a 12.7mm based one whereas as per TASL’s literature the IPMV has an FN MAG based one. How do you know they’re of the same specifications? Only thing indicating they’re the same thing is the drivers protective cupola thing that’s been seen with the IPMV. I still don’t personally believe they’re the same ones as the specific one still bears the WhAP name hence has the pumpjets indicating that’s it’s the amphibious variant with the water bow.
E3C8F10B-8862-41DA-9E93-8F6A00E0806E.jpeg

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Video is from September 2021, the RCWS on it is a 12.7mm based one whereas as per TASL’s literature the IPMV has an FN MAG based one. How do you know they’re of the same specifications? Only thing indicating they’re the same thing is the drivers protective cupola thing that’s been seen with the IPMV. I still don’t personally believe they’re the same ones as the specific one still bears the WhAP name hence has the pumpjets indicating that’s it’s the amphibious variant with the water bow. View attachment 150685
I don't know how did you differentiated the RCWS caliber just at looking at it. The RCWS is just a mount with gyro and targeting system, any suitable MG can be mounted over it.

In fact, in the video (which I see is 7 months old, probably is the first test prototype of what we are calling IPMV today), the MG is probably 7.62mm FN Mag (No 12.7mm MG is that small).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we are going pretty apeshit just looking at the fresh-out-of-factory batch which is not even painted, and probably needs some parts to be attached (like wave shield at front and pumps).

By going by Indian Army doctrine, all our IFVs are Amphibious, infact we insist upon it being amphibious. Scaling-down a system which already got these capabilities seems like a very dumb move, which does not have a valid reasoning, probably because we are wrong with the analysis.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
We also have 3 IMPV, 1 MPV , 3 Kalyani M4....please donot worry....if not we also have thousands of Modernized Gypsies which can also carry 30 mm automatic canon ....so chill..
I am telling you if we don't see any good headways in indigenious induction and more army reforms by 2030s, we better forget about speedy inductions. I don't remeber after 2010 when was a large purchase of new armoured platforms or new systems including that of every branch in IA except new ALSV. It is funny and sad at the same time that how we have literally lost decade or two we stopped modernising, not that we also have these dalle and dalals both inside MoD, forces and outside.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
I don't know how did you differentiated the RCWS caliber just at looking at it. The RCWS is just a mount with gyro and targeting system, any suitable MG can be mounted over it.

In fact, in the video (which I see is 7 months old, probably is the first test prototype of what we are calling IPMV today), the MG is probably 7.62mm FN Mag (No 12.7mm MG is that small).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we are going pretty apeshit just looking at the fresh-out-of-factory batch which is not even painted, and probably needs some parts to be attached (like wave shield at front and pumps).

By going by Indian Army doctrine, all our IFVs are Amphibious, infact we insist upon it being amphibious. Scaling-down a system which already got these capabilities seems like a very dumb move, which does not have a valid reasoning, probably because we are wrong with the analysis.
The RCWS on the WhAP in the video is based on the 12.7mm NSVT HMG, with the FCS on the left and ammo box on the right. It is the same one on the Arjun Mk1a made by BEL.
The IPMVs RCWS has the FCS on the right and ammo box on the left, so they’re very much different. RCWS are not just drop fit systems, they each have to be customised to the gun mounted both in terms of the ammo box based on which side the gun feeds as well as re configuration of the FCS.
1649869619706.jpeg

1649869683896.jpeg

Also the firing ports on the side are completely different on the WhAPfrom the video and the IPMV.
1649870085236.jpeg

58D05E5B-ECE7-4B5C-B19E-2765967F6FBA.jpeg

Last edited:

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
The RCWS on the WhAP in the video is based on the 12.7mm NSVT HMG, with the FCS on the left and ammo box on the right. It is the same one on the Arjun Mk1a made by BEL.
The IPMVs RCWS has the FCS on the right and ammo box on the left, so they’re very much different. RCWS are not just drop fit systems, they each have to be customised to the gun mounted both in terms of the ammo box based on which side the gun feeds as well as re configuration of the FCS.
View attachment 150698
View attachment 150700
Also the firing ports on the side are completely different on the WhAPfrom the video and the IPMV.View attachment 150704
View attachment 150706
Welp seems like you are right, NSV belt feed is on its right-hand side of the gun whereas the FN Mag has a belt feed on its left-hand side.

Although the gun system still does not proves anything about the amphibious capability of the IPMV, I would insist on an IQ test of the officials who ordered a downgraded, under-armed system for the army.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles