DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Karthi

Country flag
If it's capable of near hypersonic, then why do we need Brahmos 2? I think after Brahmos NG, Brahmos should focus on next gen Awacs killer air2air missiles. Brahmos NG should get more advanced seeker, better ECCM and reduced IR Signature to beat Chicom S400

Because NG is the maximum potential with current design and tech. Brahmos 2 with Scramjet Engine has exceptional potential to become Mach 5-Mach 10 or more . Brahmos NG with 300-450 Km range is much better suitable for AAM.

not so dravidian

Country flag
Because NG is the maximum potential with current design and tech. Brahmos 2 with Scramjet Engine has exceptional potential to become Mach 5-Mach 10 or more . Brahmos NG with 300-450 Km range is much better suitable for AAM.
Kek, I have already asked this question

Cud u explain in what advantages does bhramos type engine ( nose cone) offers over, Yj12/STAR type engine ( quad intake) ??

Maybe in seeker engagement??

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
If it's capable of near hypersonic, then why do we need Brahmos 2? I think after Brahmos NG, Brahmos should focus on next gen Awacs killer air2air missiles. Brahmos NG should get more advanced seeker, better ECCM and reduced IR Signature to beat Chicom S400
Range

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag

Cud u explain in what advantages does bhramos type engine ( nose cone) offers over, Yj12/STAR type engine ( quad intake) ??

Nothing much , except that it takes Air first incident on nose , the side intakes will be affected by air flow changes due to higher mach speed , nothing much different

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
#BrahMosNG, the mini version of the existing BrahMos to have a speed of near 4.8Mach.

The 1.2Ton missile would be capable to perform a split-S manoeuvre, will have lesser RCS compared to its predecessor,making it harder for ADS to locate n engage the target.

Production by 2026 https://t.co/LyAAbZCACe
any confirmation from IAF on this?

Karthi

Country flag

To answer this I need to do little bit Research I think. But what comes in my mind at first is its much more related to Spacing . Super Sonic Missile are uses more fuel and hence generally less range . With this spike inlet arrangement Brahmos has less drag, and more space for carrying more fuel . Brahmos is faster than YJ12 & DRDO Star, it achieves Mach 3 in a short period of time and have a range of upto 900 Km , so this inlet design much suited. In comparison YJ 12 only has Mach 2 in low altitude , Brahmos can reach Mach 3 in low altitude .

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
any confirmation from IAF on this?
With regards to Confirmation from the Indian airforce. Than no (I am not sure) This is just a news by this Defence Decode guy. He is a pretty credible source though.

not so dravidian

Country flag
To answer this I need to do little bit Research I think. But what comes in my mind at first is its much more related to Spacing . Super Sonic Missile are uses more fuel and hence generally less range . With this spike inlet arrangement Brahmos has less drag, and more space for carrying more fuel . Brahmos is faster than YJ12 & DRDO Star, it achieves Mach 3 in a short period of time and have a range of upto 900 Km , so this inlet design much suited. In comparison YJ 12 only has Mach 2 in low altitude , Brahmos can reach Mach 3 in low altitude .
Yea i very well know that. Thank you.

My doubt is wrt Seeker FOV
If u remember mid way in 2021, a chene came here larping on bhramos.

I know that we have achieved near to 1 cep, but won't the spike inlet block FOV when compared to Yj 12's FOV??

SavageKing456

Country flag
So we have 5 major hypersonic projects
2 HGV
1 is by DRDL and another is by htnp industries.
3 HCM
Brahmos 2 by Brahmos aerospace(in case Russia ready to work further)
Vishnu ground launched hcm-drdl
Air launched hcm by using dual combustion ramjet is by drdl

Kuldeepm952

Country flag

I know that we have achieved near to 1 cep, but won't the spike inlet block FOV when compared to Yj 12's FOV??
A normal rf seeker can swivel about 45 to 60 degrees, effectively having fov from 90 to 120 degrees arc, so not really a problem if you see the design. Brahmos Ng has its spike even more forward then brahmos vanilla thereby increasing fov more. I mean, what exactly do you want fov to be??

not so dravidian

Country flag
A normal rf seeker can swivel about 45 to 60 degrees, effectively having fov from 90 to 120 degrees arc, so not really a problem if you see the design. Brahmos Ng has its spike even more forward then brahmos vanilla thereby increasing fov more. I mean, what exactly do you want fov to be??
What I meant is whether the spike inlet "obstruct" the FOV at that particular area i.e, since spike is infront of seeker

Karthi

Country flag

as from the various reports , its clear that the Brahmos seeker is best in the world , the specifications are not known to me, some posters are in this thread i think. Brahmos can even select a small target from a group of targets , no other system in the world can do that . Brahmos can achieve 5 M CEP simply using its onboard processors and GPS, Glonass , Navic without using the seeker and the seeker activates only in Terminal stages . it can see through the hot airframe and can hit the target with 1CEP that means your doubt is insignificant. i dont know about the FOV , but the FOV view is not matters much because the targets are slow moving ship and ground targets . it is unlikely that these targets moving out of FOV.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
What I meant is whether the spike inlet "obstruct" the FOV at that particular area i.e, since spike is infront of seeker
No it does not obstruct. Seeker fov for ashm are essential and are kept in mind while designing.
Go to p800 oniks info and see that it's seeker has 45° swivel in either direction and a seeker range of 20km would give a scanning breadth of some 28 kms in this swivel range which is very good by any measure.
I am much more interested in its data link, target discrimination, any passive sensor or ecm capability, can it detect rf emissions from warships and determine its target among many ships let's say in a busy shipping lane, and then can it smartly plot it's course to hit the said target. Also what about rf imaging seeker, not only would it give land attack capability on moving target using datalinks but also some target discrimination at sea, also does brahmos has datalink. Next generation antiships will be going for all smart sensors and AI.
Here is a excerpt of the capability of future US Navy LRASM:-
"To ensure survivability to and effectiveness against a target, the LRASM is equipped with a BAE Systems-designed seeker and guidance system, integrating jam-resistant GPS/INS, an imaging infrared (IIR infrared homing) seeker with automatic scene/target matching recognition, a data-link, and passive Electronic Support Measure (ESM) and radar warning receiver sensors.[20] Artificial intelligence software combines these features to locate enemy ships and avoid neutral shipping in crowded areas. Automatic dissemination of emissions data is classified, located, and identified for path of attack; the data-link allows other assets to feed the missile a real-time electronic picture of the enemy battlespace. Multiple missiles can work together to share data to coordinate an attack in a swarm. Aside from short, low-power data-link transmissions, the LRASM does not emit signals, which combined with the low-RCS JASSM airframe and low IR signature reduces detectability. Unlike previous radar-only seeker-equipped missiles that went on to hit other vessels if diverted or decoyed, the multi-mode seeker ensures the correct target is hit in a specific area of the ship. An LRASM can find its own target autonomously by using its passive radar homing to locate ships in an area, then using passive measures once on terminal approach. Like the JASSM, the LRASM is capable of hitting land targets."
Now this is very POG in f you ask me.

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
as from the various reports , its clear that the Brahmos seeker is best in the world , the specifications are not known to me, some posters are in this thread i think. Brahmos can even select a small target from a group of targets , no other system in the world can do that . Brahmos can achieve 5 M CEP simply using its onboard processors and GPS, Glonass , Navic without using the seeker and the seeker activates only in Terminal stages . it can see through the hot airframe and can hit the target with 1CEP that means your doubt is insignificant. i dont know about the FOV , but the FOV view is not matters much because the targets are slow moving ship and ground targets . it is unlikely that these targets moving out of FOV.
Does it have datalink to update its target?? How does a launching ship update its target, due to curvature of earth you surely can't. Now we don't really have satellites for said purpose.
Brahmos is like, first you find your target motion analysis and then fire it and have no way to contact the missile after. Also then it depends on the seeker only to discriminate, it has no capability to use data from any ship or recon platform to discriminate effectively.
Also rf seeker is not really that good for target discrimination. Imaging rf seeker not in service, only imaging seeker either EO or RF with AI can be trusted enough for said role.
I hope we smart AI enabled advanced seekers for our missiles.

Last edited:

Photon

Country flag
So we have 5 major hypersonic projects
2 HGV
1 is by DRDL and another is by htnp industries.
3 HCM
Brahmos 2 by Brahmos aerospace(in case Russia ready to work further)
Vishnu ground launched hcm-drdl
Air launched hcm by using dual combustion ramjet is by drdl
HTNP,I don't know, for me it's difficult to believe that guy, Sourav!! I know him since I started my research gate account and it is before he come up with HTNP