DRDO 155mm Artillery Program

Can DRDO design Artillery able to pass into mass production?

• Total voters

anupamsurey

Country flag
hope for some weapons which uses live feed from satellites, they can sure wreak havoc.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
twinblade,
he says barrel firing by end of year,So does it mean first prototype by end of year?
No, it means prototype of only the barrel & breech.

The gun carriage, pneumatic, hydraulic, electro-mechanical, electronics & electrical sub-systems would not be tested this time.

sgarg

The towed gun shortage is a self-inflicted wound. The culprit is army itself. Indian private sector - Tata, Mahindra and Bharat Forge spent large sum to build guns for Indian army. That has all gone waste.

The lure of big imports is too strong in Indian army. The reason is not difficult to see. The lifestyle of top army officers gives enough indications.

sgarg

I think India can build thousands of guns locally and rather fast if Indian private sector is given a chance. Building 200 towed guns per year on an assembly line is not a difficult proposition. Indian industry has the maturity to deliver far more than this.

If all major companies like Bharat Forge, Tata, L&T and Mahindra pool their resources, the gun shortage will evaporate in five years. So the problem is attitude of army. The government now wants to do its best to supply the forces. Whether forces have the vision remains to be seen.

sgarg

The saving grace for India is the poor financial condition of Pakistan. Any sensible country designs and manufactures its equipment. It takes a lot of money and pain to become a powerful country. One can become rich on borrowed money but will never get respect.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
"The Buy and make in India" model being followed, does it allow limited porduction of guns or can we exceed the numbers depending on the need?
Does the technology transfer also take place in such agreement? Can we make a few changes and come out with our own designs later and produce new guns without the license conditions in place?
Hye
The model does not restrict us from building the numbers we need.
only under the licence built the numbers are fixed.

Yes Transfer of tech is a vital part of it....
Yes once the tech has been transferred we can use if any where the way we want it...
After technology transfer there is no such condition of Licence requirement it becomes our product....

Twinblade

Country flag
ARDE is calling out tenders for an assortment of forgings for making about 10 ATAGS prototypes.

elite member

Hye
The model does not restrict us from building the numbers we need.
only under the licence built the numbers are fixed.

Yes Transfer of tech is a vital part of it....
Yes once the tech has been transferred we can use if any where the way we want it...
After technology transfer there is no such condition of Licence requirement it becomes our product....
No it is not the case ,India has TOT for su30,T90,t72,TATRA,Milan,carlgustav,brahmos but the export countries won't let you do modification to the orignal design without there permission.

Hari Sud

Country flag
No it is not the case ,India has TOT for su30,T90,t72,TATRA,Milan,carlgustav,brahmos but the export countries won't let you do modification to the orignal design without there permission.

So true. Otherwise everybody and his brother would be in export business of arms, once they pay TOT for a few items.

Hari Sud

Country flag
I have a question which has not been discussed in these threads.

Yes, the much needed 155 artillery guns are under order. These will in hundreds join the Indian Army and make it bomb Lahore, Sialkote etc. at a very low cost.

My question, to supply about 1000 of these guns both towed and mobile, what provisions we have to make artillery ammunition for them. Current capacity cannot supply even the 400 odd Bofor guns. India imported at three times the price 155mm ammunition from South Africa and other sources during Kargil occupation. Now all these heavy artillery pieces would require ammunition four times more than what we can produce. Is there a new ordnance factory on the cards. One with Israeli aid was dumped many years back.

Moreover even for Bofor guns, we do not make all the pieces to make the shell. We do import some components from Sweden and Norway. The latter was very hesitant to supply these during Kargil. Their ban continued for several years after that. I do not know whether the ban was ever lifted by Norway.

Let us talk about this in some details. ........

Blood+

Country flag
I have a question which has not been discussed in these threads.

Yes, the much needed 155 artillery guns are under order. These will in hundreds join the Indian Army and make it bomb Lahore, Sialkote etc. at a very low cost.

My question, to supply about 1000 of these guns both towed and mobile, what provisions we have to make artillery ammunition for them. Current capacity cannot supply even the 400 odd Bofor guns. India imported at three times the price 155mm ammunition from South Africa and other sources during Kargil occupation. Now all these heavy artillery pieces would require ammunition four times more than what we can produce. Is there a new ordnance factory on the cards. One with Israeli aid was dumped many years back.

Moreover even for Bofor guns, we do not make all the pieces to make the shell. We do import some components from Sweden and Norway. The latter was very hesitant to supply these during Kargil. Their ban continued for several years after that. I do not know whether the ban was ever lifted by Norway.

Let us talk about this in some details. ........

The reason why India had to import 155 mm artillery shells during Kargil was that,at that time,the OFB did not use to manufacture them.It was only in 2007 or so when the dedicated plant for manufacturing of 155 mm arty ammunition was commissioned.

Hari Sud

Country flag
The reason why India had to import 155 mm artillery shells during Kargil was that,at that time,the OFB did not use to manufacture them.It was only in 2007 or so when the dedicated plant for manufacturing of 155 mm arty ammunition was commissioned.
Thank you for info.

Tell me more whether the factory where these 155mm shells are produced can quadruple its capacity to supply 1000 guns.

Blood+

Country flag
Thank you for info.

Tell me more whether the factory where these 155mm shells are produced can quadruple its capacity to supply 1000 guns.

That I don't know,I guess they must have planned something.Either they will further enhance production capacity of that plant or new plants will be set up in due time.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
do define transfer of technology for me.....
once the tech has been absorbed fully no one can hinder ur process...

about the above stated examples...kidnly share ur source of info.... as major components of most of theses are imported still.....or are made in collaboration due to which export get restricted of modification.....

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
155 mm/52 Calibre Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System
The aim of the project is to design and develop state-of-the-art 155m/52 Cal Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS) for artillery of Indian Army. Detailed system engineering has been carried out considering advanced features enumerated in draft PSQR. The sub-system level design, documentation and review of the gun structure, automation and control system have been completed. Predictive ballistic solutions have been worked out and design and review of all components of ordnance and recoil system have been completed. Manufacturing contract for gun barrel has been placed. Other hardware sub-systems are under realisation. Industrial interaction workshop was held for identification of major potential industries in the nation for efficient manufacture of the gun systems to meet the system requirements.

http://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/English/DRDO-a-glimpse-ebook.pdf

Global Defence

New threads

Articles