Discussion About Indian Football

Sabir

DFI TEAM
blame it on the new indian football coach......God knows who told him to make a team on the lines of Dempo
I wonder why he did not field the same team that played against malaysia in the second friendly that we won. Lalrindika Ralte and Lamare were two best performers. But they were not fielded yesterday. If 18 yrs old Ralte dont need experience of playing against a tough team, who the need it! 32 years old climax and Sameer Nayek? Only the coach can answer.

SpArK

SORCERER
http://www.washingtonbanglaradio.com/content/123790611-saff-afghanistan-hold-india-1-1

SAFF: Afghanistan hold India 1-1

New Delhi, Dec 3 (IBNS): It was the perfect setting for a football match – a lazy afternoon sun and a tempting green turf at the majestic Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium -- that too in a weather which is best suited to perhaps, play only football.

Once you step in, you will need some time to settle down, the majestic structure will surely cast a spell on you.

By the time one had settled down in the stands, Afghanistan had already taken the lead, in the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] minute through Balal Arezo. That was India's wake-up call.

Seven minutes later, a smart equaliser – a header from a Steven Dias corner brought India back in the game.

Thereafter, India did get their act together putting the Afghan defence under immense pressure. Upfront, Jeje played the perfect foil to Chhetri and Steven Dias and Clifford Miranda did float some crosses into the box.

Afghanistan had their chances too as rival captain Haroon Fakhrudin and Mohammad Esrafil combined well to splitopen the Indian defence towards the fag end of the first half but failed to finish it off.

Changing over, India failed to finish it off. Twice, Chhetri and Jeje, both fresh after their trials with Rangers failed to put it in from close. The Indians pressed on the left wing but the Afghans managed to hold fort.

Team India Coach Savio Medeira did introduce Anthony Pereira and Lalrindika Ralte but even as the lights at theJawaharlal Nehru Stadium were lighting up, it failed to light up India's fortunes.

In sharp contrast, had not Karanjit Singh kept off Yousef Mashriqi's rasper in injury time, the day would have ended on a blank note for India.

India next play Bhutan on December 5, the kick-off for which is at 6pm.

Pintu

Super Football in Kolkata on January 15 - The Times of India

Super Football in Kolkata on January 15

TNN | Dec 4, 2011, 02.30AM IST

NEW DELHI: Kolkata's date with football's superstars has been shifted by a month. According to sources, the likes of Ronaldo, Cafu, Maldini will blaze the Salt Lake turf on January 15.

The event management company arranging the World XI-India Dream Team exhibition match has got the go-ahead from the Indian authorities and the Indian Football Association, the state body.

In a letter to the event management company, IFA secretary Utpal Ganguly has pledged all support to the event named 'Super Football'. Sources said the organizers are trying to rope in Brazilian great Pele as a guest for the event.

The world team: Regi Blinker, Cafu (C), Ronaldo, Marcel Desailly, Paolo Maldini, Angsker Birkman, Winston Bogarde, Pierre van Hooijdonk, Samuel Eto'o, Stephen Appiah, Christian Karembeu, Roland Kopp, Ronald de Boer, Rene Higuita (GK), Marcel Oerlemans.

Coach: Rudd Gulit.

India Dream Team: Baichung Bhutia (C), Renedy Singh, Sushil Kumar Singh, IM Vijayan, Jo-Paul Ancheri, Bruno Coutinho, Dino Morea, Ashmit Patel.

Coach: Shyam Thapa.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
What a poor performance! We cant even beat Afghanistan who hardly have any proper ground in their country. Again a bunch of old players were exposed by the young Afghans. The same Climax, Miranda, Stiven, Sameer.....I saw the match and my opinion about them will be like this-

Miranda- very poor finisher (thats why he have only 2 goals in his name in his long enough career). Only think he can do is running (aimlessly). But after an impressive run he will definitely make a mispass or a porr cross; spoiling the move. Doesn't have any defensive quality. So pressure will be on the side-back on his side (Now Rahim Nabi). Simply saying Rahim Nabi + Clifford Miranda = Rahim Nabi

Climax- In news paper they have praised his passing skill; definitely the reporter was watching recording of an old match of his younger days. Most of his long throws dont find his mates. Back pass and squarepass do not indicate good passing. he keep losing ball constantly by depositing the ball to opponents. No defensive quality except committing silly fouls.

Stiven Dias- He is just a shadow of his younger days in 2007-2008. Poor man's David Beckham never had defensive quality. Nowadays his running through the wing and the crosses are becoming unimpressive.

Sameer Naik- It is surprising that he is considered a defender for so many years. Hardly you will see him to go for a tackle; he runs with the attacker or try to come in front his way; thats all defensive skill he has. Positioning is very poor. When the opponent attacks you will not find him in proper position. He gives a lot of trouble to the central backs.

Mahesh Gowli- one of the best defenders in the country I have ever seen. But now he is 32 or more....he has become slow and prone to mistake. It cost the team a silly goal yesterday.

Sunil and Jeje were impressive. But they had to come down to the midfield for ball which made them less threatening. Rahim Nabi was tireless asusual; running up and down certainly the best yeaterday alongwith the Goal keeper Karanjit.

I dont know why they have included Anthony Perreira. I saw him in Malaysia match; whenever he gets ball turns back to own goal. I felt he is like Budhiram Tudu of East Bengal second team (comes as a substitute :D)

Some substitution this team is urgently needed-

Mahesh out - Arnab Mondal in
Climax out - Sanju Pradhan in/ or Lalkamal
Miranda out- Lester Fernnandage in
Stiven out - Vasum in
Sameer out- Robert in
Baljit out - Robin Singh in
Sushil Singh out- Asim Biswas in

Beside Mehtab Hussain, Raju Gaikowad and Subrata Pal will back once they recover from injury.

Sunil and Jeje were impressive

Sabir

DFI TEAM
India beat bhutan 5-0
Expect Rahim Nabi dont expect anything to be permanent. Cliffort Miranda will be back in his original form (I say thop thop running) in the very next match. They Bhutan players are very young average age being 20-21. They were not closing in to the opponents which gave Miranda to become a tiger. However it was nice to see Nirmal Chhetry instead of Sameer Nayek. It would be more pleasant if they put talented Lalrindica (I think best mid-fielder in the country) instead of good for nothing Anthony Perreira. It will be interesting if Nabi is allowed to play as a forward.

Saw the BD-Maldives match. Surely some Indian defenders are having treambling knees already (Especially Mahesh and Sameer) if they have watched Ali Ashfaq in his devastative form. :D

trojan

Country flag
miranda's performance against bhutan does not count. i saw the entire match he was just ordinary against a junior bhutan side. against afghanistan he was useless. jeje lookes out of sorts (still better than abranches :D) . dika definitely deserves to be in starting 11.

nabi is one player who has impressed one and all. he's all over the field.
i hope these old guns are axed before afc challnege cup or we're screwed big time . i saw phillpines game against LA galaxy(beckham played for them) , though they lost by a big margin, but they played pretty well with their europe based players, much more agile and physically fit than our lazy @sses and played nice passing football. and recently they defeat nepal 4-0.

the other team ofcourse in our group is N korea who played in the world cup :scared2:

Sabir

DFI TEAM
@ Trojan ..have you seen how Afghanistan played today against Bhutan especially in first 17 minutes. Bhutan is a junior team but it looked like a baby team in breathtaking pace of the Afghans. They showd a lot of sympathy to Bhutan and tried to reserve them for semi-final. Else it could have beeb 20-0 instead of 8-1. This Afghanistan team has many foreign based players and I will not be surprised if the go back with the cup. Their number 3, 7, 10,11,8 are very good.

In Indian team only few senior are to be retained- Subrata Paul (Age24), Nabi (26-27), Sunil (27), Gourmangi (27), Mehtab (27)....other slots should be filled up by U23 players. There are many capable players in U23 level. But I want to see Asim Biswas back at least for once. He may be 28 now.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
miranda's performance against bhutan does not count. i saw the entire match he was just ordinary against a junior bhutan side. against afghanistan he was useless. jeje lookes out of sorts (still better than abranches :D) . dika definitely deserves to be in starting 11.

nabi is one player who has impressed one and all. he's all over the field.
i hope these old guns are axed before afc challnege cup or we're screwed big time . i saw phillpines game against LA galaxy(beckham played for them) , though they lost by a big margin, but they played pretty well with their europe based players, much more agile and physically fit than our lazy @sses and played nice passing football. and recently they defeat nepal 4-0.

the other team ofcourse in our group is N korea who played in the world cup :scared2:
Even couple of years back Phillipine used to be considered a very weak team like Bhutan. Last time as much I can remember Vijayan scored two goals against them. Not sure whether we played after that. Now they are defeating Nepal 4-0 means they are good enough. Nepal is on per with our Indian (Sorry Goan) team.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Super Football in Kolkata on January 15 - The Times of India

Super Football in Kolkata on January 15

TNN | Dec 4, 2011, 02.30AM IST

NEW DELHI: Kolkata's date with football's superstars has been shifted by a month. According to sources, the likes of Ronaldo, Cafu, Maldini will blaze the Salt Lake turf on January 15.

The event management company arranging the World XI-India Dream Team exhibition match has got the go-ahead from the Indian authorities and the Indian Football Association, the state body.

In a letter to the event management company, IFA secretary Utpal Ganguly has pledged all support to the event named 'Super Football'. Sources said the organizers are trying to rope in Brazilian great Pele as a guest for the event.

The world team: Regi Blinker, Cafu (C), Ronaldo, Marcel Desailly, Paolo Maldini, Angsker Birkman, Winston Bogarde, Pierre van Hooijdonk, Samuel Eto'o, Stephen Appiah, Christian Karembeu, Roland Kopp, Ronald de Boer, Rene Higuita (GK), Marcel Oerlemans.

Coach: Rudd Gulit.

India Dream Team: Baichung Bhutia (C), Renedy Singh, Sushil Kumar Singh, IM Vijayan, Jo-Paul Ancheri, Bruno Coutinho, Dino Morea, Ashmit Patel.

Coach: Shyam Thapa.
So Asmit Patel plays with football. I used to think he is intereted only in soft balls. :D

Sabir

DFI TEAM
India will face Afghanistan on SAFF final. Today India has defeated Maldives 3-1 and Afghanistan has defeated Nepal 1-0. Many of the Afghan players play in Western countries in lower divisions so they are quite fit, fast and good technically. They have created a sensation among football lovers in South Asia. So it will not be a easy task for India.

warriorextreme

Country flag
OMG afghanistan team will eat india alive if we keep on playing like this..
undefined​

warriorextreme

Country flag
India wins saff cup for 6th time...
India 4-0 Afghanistan
[COLOR=#fafafa !important]

[/COLOR]​

Last edited:

Sabir

DFI TEAM
4-0 hardly tells about what was actual picture. The Afghans dominated completely in the first half. Thanks to Karanjit they couldn't score. It was their inexperience that cost Afghanistan the match. They blew them off in the first half. And stupidity of their GK spoilt the hard work of his team mates. It was no more a matter to them whether it was 0-1 or 0-4.

But we have nothing to jump in joy. The midfield was pathetic. Immediately we need to change Climax, Anthony, Stiven, Miranda etc. Though Miranda scored a good goal and improved since the Bhutan match, everyday he cant expect Bhutan as opponent. With a stronger opponent these plyers will be burden.

Two names must be taken - Sunil Chhetry and Sayed Rahim Nabi and then Gourmangi and GK Karanjit who contributed most for winning the cup. The Afghanistan teams have some good players- Bilal Arezu, Fakruddin, their number 7 ...dont be surprise if you find some of them playing in I-league clubs next session.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
India needs big-ticket leagues like ISL: Yorke

LINK: timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/indian-super-league/top-stories/India-needs-big-ticket-leagues-like-ISL-Yorke/articleshow/29017681.cms

NEW DELHI: Former Manchester United forward Dwight Yorke said that the proposed Indian Super League would help Indian football as the country needs big-ticket tournaments and stars to raise the profile of the game.

Yorke, who was here for a promotional programme, has been linked with the ISL proposed to be held by All India Football Federation's commercial partners IMG-Reliance in September.

"I think India is passionate about football, especially the youth. I feel that tournaments like the proposed ISL would go a long way in raising the profile of the game in the country," Yorke, the brand ambassador of Manchester United, said.

"You need big leagues and big stars play in India. I feel ISL would do just that. There is a lot of buzz around ISL and I am hoping that it happens. I am looking forward to that and hope to be part of the league," said Yorke, who has confirmed his availability for the league.

Yorke, however, said that he is yet to signed on the dotted lines for the league.

"No, I am interested in the league but have not signed a contract yet," said Yorke at a programme to celebrate Cheverolet's partnership with Manchester United as official automotive partner.

The 42-year-old former Trinidad and Tobago captain who retired in 2009, also said that India needs players to ply trade outside the country to improve its football profile.

"As somebody from a country which is not among the elite in the world, I can say that India will need to develop its league, produce some big players who play outside the country in some big leagues," he said.

"Hopefully, India will have such players in future. You need a beginning, a player who would be the first to do that and others will follow." MORE PTI PDS

Yorke, who had acted as assistant coach of Trinidad and Tobago during the 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign, said he is on his way to take up full time coaching.

"I will be qualified to become a manager in the next eight months when I get my license. In the next one year and a half, I will see from where I will start."

Asked if he would love to coach the Indian team in future.

"Of course, I would love to. It's not my first visit in India and I know football is passionate here."

Yorke admitted Manchester United's woeful form this season in the English Premier League and said his former club was facing transition pangs.

"Some big players have left and a new coach is there. The club is in a transition phase. It's not easy for (coach) David Moyes," he said.

Yorke picked his former team-mate Paul Scholes as his best Manchester United player.

"It has to be Paul Scholes. He is the complete player."

Blackwater

indians can not play football. their body and stamina is not up to that level to play football.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
indians can not play football. their body and stamina is not up to that level to play football.
when Japanese and Koreans can play this game why not Indians. Any race can play football when they are properly trained and given good diet.

Diet is one of the problem for previous generations, now people's diets are getting better.

warriorextreme

Country flag
Not only can Indians play this game but they can dominate it...We had awesome team back in 50s and 60s.... currently under 16 team has also shown a lot of potential.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
when Japanese and Koreans can play this game why not Indians. Any race can play football when they are properly trained and given good diet.

Diet is one of the problem for previous generations, now people's diets are getting better.
What ails Indian football?
NOVY KAPADIA

LINK: frontline.in/static/html/fl1914/19140120.htm

Arbitrary selection procedures, inadequate preparation, insufficient international exposure and match-practice, and scant attention to age-group teams have been the bane of Indian football.

SENEGAL became the second African nation to reach the quarter-finals of the World Cup, before they lost 0-1 to Turkey in the quarter-finals of the recent 17th edition of the sporting extravaganza. It emulated the feat of Cameroon, the only other African nation to reach the quarter-finals, way back in Italia'90, before losing 2-3 to England. In the African Nations Cup held in February 2002, Senegal finished runners up to Cameroon, losing on penalty kicks in the final in Mali. For a country which got FIFA affiliation only in 1962, two years after its National football Association was formed, Senegal's achievements are remarkable.

It has just 82 registered clubs and its economy is not strong enough to support an active professional league. Kolkata has more registered clubs than the whole of Senegal. But the 'Lions of Teranga', as the team is known, excelled because as many as 21 of the 23 members of the World Cup squad play in various clubs in France.

At the Federation Cup in 2001, when the All India Football Federation bore the cost of the tournament. It was not held for two years for want of sponsors.

Nigeria, which played in its third successive World Cup, is also a team of late developers. Its National Football Association was formed in 1945 and it got FIFA affiliation in 1959. Despite its social and economic problems, Nigeria has 1,400 registered professional players, who are playing all over the world, including India.

In contrast, organised football has existed for over a century in India. The Durand Cup football tournament, India's oldest football tournament started in 1888, the Rovers Cup in Mumbai in 1893 and the IFA Shield in Calcutta in 1891. The All India Football Federation (AIFF) was formed in 1937 and got FIFA affiliation in 1939. Yet, in the FIFA
rankings as of June 2002, Nigeria is ranked 27th, Senegal 42nd and India 123rd.

Continued.........

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles