Discussion About Indian Football

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
China not to bid for FIFA Club World Cup
Wednesday, 19 March 2014 - 12:01pm IST | Place: Beijing | Agency: IANS

LINK: dnaindia.com/sport/report-china-not-to-bid-for-fifa-club-world-cup-1970464

China will not bid for the 2015-2016 or 2017-2018 FIFA Club World Cup since the Chinese Football Association (CFA) did not receive application from any of the local associations.

Guangzhou had shown interest in bidding with the support of Evergrande Group which owns the AFC Champions League team Guangzhou Evergrande, but finally decided to quit, reports Xinhua.

CFA official Qi Jun said that as the deadline for submitting applications expired Tuesday, the governing body for the sport in China didn't get a single application from any of its local associations. The deadline for CFA to submit a bid to FIFA is March 30.
This is a good chance for India to host 2015 FIFA Club World Cup. The government should fight aggressively for this tournament. India has already submitted bids for 2015 FIFA club world cup. Please support football in India.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Imagine if India was in the top 10 soccer teams in the world. Indians all over the world would get more respect! Athletic excellence can change how nations are perceived.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Imagine if India was in the top 10 soccer teams in the world. Indians all over the world would get more respect! Athletic excellence can change how nations are perceived.
I agree. The problems is India is way behind european countries in football development programmes. In Europe people start playing football at the age of six. Indian football desperately needs money in billions of dollars. India's corporate sector should come together and make it a reality.

Here is the link of Forbes' list of the most valuable football clubs

LINK: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes'_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

Here is the link of India's top 500 companies (as per 2012 list) who can help game of football in India.

LINK: economictimes.indiatimes.com/et500list.cms

Sea Eagle

Yesterday, I League Matches :

MMB vs SCG= 3:1
Shillong vs Bengaluru FC= 3:0
Churchil Brothers vs Pune= 3:2 (Hell of an exciting match) :D

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Koevermans: The better the I-League is run, the better it is for the national team
By Neil Modi, 05-Apr-2014

LINK: goal.com/en-india/news/136/india/2014/04/05/4730389/koevermans-the-better-the-i-league-is-run-the-better-it-is?ICID=SP

The Dutch coach didn't wish to comment on his future as his contract is set to expire in October this year"¦

India coach Wim Koevermans stressed on the importance of playing international friendlies on a regular basis which shall help improve the rankings eventually.

The Blue Tigers last played in March against neighbours Bangladesh who are ranked 162nd with the game ending in a 2-2 draw.

'We always try to play teams ranked higher than India but it is not always possible because of AFC Cup played in their (the other teams') countries, or their national team is not available because of other programmes. So we try to aim for higher ranked positions but it's not always possible.

"If it's not possible to play higher teams then it's better to play lower teams than not to play at all," he opined.

With the I-League being the primary competition from which the players are chosen for the national side, the Dutchman hopes that it's level continues go up.

"All players come out of the I-League so the quality of the I-League needs to go up. If you're following it this year, it's a very competitive I-League.

"Bengaluru is new and have been very successful so far. The better the I-League is run, the better it's organized, the better it is for the national team players. So the coaches and facilities are important. If you look here (Cooperage Stadium) we have a nice stadium but unfortunately FC Mumbai didn't play yet but it will happen."

On being asked as to how analyses his players before picking the squad, Koevermans replied, "I spend as much time as possible to see players-traveling, scouting, watching on television, watching videos to see how they progress and because of the FIFA Pro License I also have the opportunity to talk directly and influence some of the coaches of the I-League teams."

His contract comes to an end in October 2014 and Koevermans remained coy on his future when questioned about the legacy he would like to leave behind should he and the All India Football Federation (AIFF) not agree to a renewal.

"I'm not talking about that. It's in the future and it's way too early to talk about that," he said.

India has been far too reliant on Sunil Chhetri to score as was evident in the last international friendly where he scored twice to save the blushes.

"No, I'm very happy that Sunil (Chhetri) is scoring a lot of goals but we have a lot of other players. We have Robin Singh, we also have Balwant Singh from Churchill, who is high up the ranking, so new players are coming in.

"Sunil will not play till he's 70 years old, so there needs to be follow up. So we need to look at that others as well. Sunil is great captain but the others also need to have as much experience to become as good as him."
What Indian national coach Wim Koevermans is saying is correct. India's national team needs more exposure to football (I would prefer European football) in order to improve rankings. India below 150 in FIFA rankings is a matter of shame.

Indian corporate industry should come forward and support I-league teams so that they can play world class football. They can take example from JSW group Bengaluru FC if they want to be successful.

Twinblade

Country flag
Lol at the idiots running football in India. Learn from hockey, they have cleaned up their act and Hockey India League has been a roaring success, considering that it was near impossible to watch live hockey a couple of years back. First edition of HIL had a whopping 24 times the viewers of the I-league and the second edition has taken it even further. The players are now getting paid well and the sponsors are rolling in.

Look at the stats from the 2012-13 season for hockey, and that's a sport which officially sells more merchandise for physical assault than actual sports. Those are some very very serious numbers for a sport that has such a tiny coverage compared to football. It's aired less than a month, no newspaper dedicates more than a quarter page to it (compared to full page coverage for football) and there aren't even any superstars in the game. Football probably has the whiniest fans in the country, half of them are hipsters who'd watch anything that is not mainstream (cricket in our country) and makes them look cool and the second half keep bitching about cricket getting too much attention. You'd find a million times more Indian 'football fans' on the internet than those actually watching the game. I-league was the first professional league in India and I-league was such an embarrassment that broadcasters don't want anything to do with it anymore. If the football fans in india were even 1% as passionate about the game as they claim to be (yep, they are lying, f***ing hipsters), probably the I-league wouldn't be in such a bad shape.

shinoj

Tihar Jail
Banned
I have a Question to all the people Loving European Football like the English and the Spanish leagues. Have the So Called Superstars like Rooney and Gerard ever come to Asia and proved their Prowess in the Foreign conditions ever ?

And what guarantee will be that they will play as good as they do in their own Country.

One of the Biggest Hyped Entity in Modern World is not Silicon Boobs but English Football and it is vastly helped by the English Dominated Foreign Media.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Congrats Bengaluru FC for winning the I-league.

:cb: :bhangra: :clap: :peace: :first: :cheer2:

They are the first south Indian club to win the National Football Championship. All thanks to their English coach Mr. Ashley Westwood. I hope they do well and improve in the coming future against top arab and east asian teams in AFC Champions League.

Steve1234

India football can be good if they give full opportunity to their youngsters , there is a lot of talent present in india and india can definately do well at international level,, they just need to provide full facilities,, youngsters should start playing football at domestic level, they should get local football teams to play football, and also role of a good coach is really impportant in team..

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Delhi Dynamos FC has signed Belgian goalkeeper Kristof Van Hout — the tallest professional football player in the world — for the inaugural season of the Hero Indian Super League. An accomplished custodian, Van Hout played for Belgian powerhouse Racing Genk last season. With a height of 6 feet and 10 inches (2.08m), Van Hout is an imposing figure at the goalpost, and shares the tallest professional footballer title with Elgin City FC's Paul Millar. At the age of 27, he is at the peak of his footballing prowess and will have plenty to offer to the club. Van Hout burst on to the scene in 2008, becoming the hero of Kortrijk after saving three penalties in the shootout against league champions Standard Liege to help his team progress to the quarterfinals. This earned him a transfer to none other than Standard Liege itself, with whom he won the Belgian Cup in 2010—11. Van Hout was on the bench for Liege's matches in the Champions League, including two games against Premier League giants Arsenal. In 2012, Van Hout made the move to another Belgian superclub, Racing Genk, one year after the club sold prodigious talent Thibaut Courtois to Chelsea. That season, Van Hout led Genk to a third place finish in the Pro League, earning them a place in the Europa League. He also won his second Belgian Cup.
Delhi Dynamos sign world's tallest goalkeeper - The Hindu

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Ronaldinho Signs For ISL Team Chennai for a Record Amount!

ISl has completed its biggest coup as the Chennai Team co-owned by Abhishek Bacchan has signed Ronaldo for a record sum of 36 crore INR which is approx 4.6 million Euros. The news has been confirmed by Europe based football agent and journalist Philip Harmeling.

[tweet]505273417160224768[/tweet]

ISL was launched in a grand fashion yesterday night in a gala event which saw the presence of stars like Abhishek Bacchan, Sachin Tendulkar and major industrialists, including Nita Ambani. Earlier, Delhi based ISL team Delhi Dynamos had created a flutter by signing Allesandro del Piero who last played for A-League side in Australia. But this is the biggest signing in the history of Indian football, something that is certainly going to raise the bar and awe-factor among Indian football fans. This is not the first time though that Ronaldinho has visited India as he was seen in Pune a couple of years back as he visited the city at the invitation of Venky's owners when rumors went rife that he could sign for Blackburn Rovers. Ronaldinho currently plays for top Brazilian side Atletico Mineiro and has a FIFA World Cup title in his pocket. The news has already got the Indian football fans talking on the biggest Indian Football Forum and fans cannot wait to see the star in action on Indian soil.
Ronaldinho Signs For ISL Team Chennai for a Record Amount!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles