Dhanush the Indian Bofors

Hari Sud

Country flag
May I suggest that we get out of this excessive tube artillery talk in this forum and in general because as you are aware that rebels in Saudi Arabia used inexpensive explosives laden drones to set fire to the Saudi oil installation and inflicted a huge damage. This destructive set up is being mastered by Pakistan who have not loaded drones with explosives but used them to airdrop guns and ammunition in Punjab. Loading it with explosives is a small step ahead.

Battlefield technology is undergone a huge change in last 10 years. Pakistani tactical nuclear weapons is not the future. These have been neutralized by bigger, city destroying bombs what India has.

The newer and inexpensive changes to the battlefield weaponry like drones, communication technology multi centric warfare and surveillance etc. has made a huge difference. These are the things we should be discussing more.

cheers, pardon me if I have touched any sensitive nerve....

Shashank Nayak

Country flag
May I suggest that we get out of this excessive tube artillery talk in this forum and in general because as you are aware that rebels in Saudi Arabia used inexpensive explosives laden drones to set fire to the Saudi oil installation and inflicted a huge damage. This destructive set up is being mastered by Pakistan who have not loaded drones with explosives but used them to airdrop guns and ammunition in Punjab. Loading it with explosives is a small step ahead.

Battlefield technology is undergone a huge change in last 10 years. Pakistani tactical nuclear weapons is not the future. These have been neutralized by bigger, city destroying bombs what India has.

The newer and inexpensive changes to the battlefield weaponry like drones, communication technology multi centric warfare and surveillance etc. has made a huge difference. These are the things we should be discussing more.

Drones are no match for the destructive potential of artillery, in a conventional war.

Deathstar

Country flag
Cheap Kamikaze drones is the answer.
GPS guided , terrain hugging , laden with explosives.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Cheap Kamikaze drones is the answer.
GPS guided , terrain hugging , laden with explosives.
But we aren't building the cheap ones but are buying those which cost millions.

To effectively utilize drones we will need to build them here in mass scale for cheap bucks. They can provide us a constant eye on the border as well in naxal belt.

Some of those kamikaze with bombs etc can be used against terrorists in ops too.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Apples to oranges.

Deathstar

Country flag
But we aren't building the cheap ones but are buying those which cost millions.

To effectively utilize drones we will need to build them here in mass scale for cheap bucks. They can provide us a constant eye on the border as well in naxal belt.

Some of those kamikaze with bombs etc can be used against terrorists in ops too.
The Kamikaze drones which NSG has is just 1.5 lakh rs each made by an Indian company.....
Need to increase its range and load capacity

Flying Dagger

Country flag
The Kamikaze drones which NSG has is just 1.5 lakh rs each made by an Indian company.....
Need to increase its range and load capacity
Thanks But I am not aware of it please do give a link. I do know about the Israeli drones that are with Garuda IAF .

They should definitely be used by RR/CRPF too will help in minimising the casuality to our troops.

One other stuff I find missing in ops is bulletproof shields I think MKU is building them but aren't used widely yet.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
I agree....... but followers of tube artillery will not agree

May we start a new thread..... Moderator - what do you suggest. Can you start a new thread.
Both are important . While the artillery have big fire power. Drones could be the new tactical weapons of choice . What happened in Saudi has opened up and showed lots of possibilities for its use.

Deathstar

Country flag
Thanks But I am not aware of it please do give a link. I do know about the Israeli drones that are with Garuda IAF .

They should definitely be used by RR/CRPF too will help in minimising the casuality to our troops.

One other stuff I find missing in ops is bulletproof shields I think MKU is building them but aren't used widely yet.
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/sto...suicide-weaponised-uav-rov-1369253-2018-10-16

power_monger

Country flag
Please take the drone discussion in different thread. This is thread on dhanush gun.

Pandeyji

Country flag

I don't think drones ever would or could replace the sheer destructive potential of tube artillery. We are forgetting one weakness of drones, their speed. With sone good radars & well placed Flak Guns it is very easy to shoot down drones in mass. Same couldn't be done about tube artillery. In fact, in this age, by the time you track a gun, it has already moved off to a different firing position. Drones are good if we have to fight untrained rabble like the Israelis or Americans face or if our enemy is as incompetent as Saudis, otherwise not.

WolfPack86

Country flag
OFB exports its newly developed 52-calibre barrels to Bofors
The Ordnance Factory Board (OFB), which is celebrating its 219th foundation day on Wednesday, has exported its newly developed 52-calibre barrel for 155 mm artillery guns to Bofors Test Center, its chairman Hari Mohan said.

He said that OFB has exported two 52-calibre barrels to Swedish arms manufacturer Bofors AB, from which it had imported 155 mm howitzer guns in the mid-80s.

"We have made a prototype which is truck-chassis mounted," Mohan told newspersons here.

In the last 14-15 years, the OFB has done "immense progress" in the field of high-calibre barrels, be it for tanks, medium and heavy artillery guns, and the barrel of Dhanush artillary gun has been indigenously developed, he said.

"Now we are embarking upon a barrel further increasing it to 52-calibre. The range of 155 mm Dhanush gun is 38 km. The Bofors gun barrel is 39-calibre, while that of Dhanush is 45-calibre," he said.

Mohan said the OFB has already designed and manufactured 52-calibre barrel, an important component of a full-fledged gun, and mounted one on a truck.

"We have exported these to Bofors and 52-calibre barrels have been taken by its test centre, which is using these for validation of 155 mm ammunitions being developed by global OEMs," he said.

More than 150 rounds of shells have been fired from these 52-calibre barrels, he said.

"The barrel is behaving better than expected and the Bofors Test Center is extremely happy," he said.

Apart from the barrel, Bofors is also taking the breech mechanism and muzzle brakes and all the three are being used, he said on Tuesday.

"We indigenously developed the technology for 155mm/52-calibre barrels and exported these to Bofors Test Center," OFB chairman said.

He said the OFB, which had initially handed over six Dhanush artillery guns to the Indian Army, will, in a few weeks, supply another six such guns.
https://www.defencenews.in/article/...developed-52-calibre-barrels-to-Bofors-809786

WolfPack86

Country flag
OFB's Dhanush 45 cal gun fired about 5000 shells in the desert regions and icy glaciers of the Himalayas without any incident during its extensive trials. The Army has placed an interim order of 114 units, 24 been delivered so far. The total order size could increase to 414 guns.

Shashank Nayak

Country flag
OFB's Dhanush 45 cal gun fired about 5000 shells in the desert regions and icy glaciers of the Himalayas without any incident during its extensive trials. The Army has placed an interim order of 114 units, 24 been delivered so far. The total order size could increase to 414 guns.
24 already delivered. So, that 1 regiment and a third.. of Dhanush..

Global Defence

Articles