Closure of DFI effective 10th July 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikasd

From the owner of defence.in, hello everyone

I didn't posts much here, but I am the regular reader of this forum. Sad to hear it is closing, but also get a chance to introduce to you about our forum.

Let's start with start.

I am a 32 years old regular MERN developer who works in a software developer company in Indore, Madhya Pradesh. In 2016 (When I was still in RGPV college), I came to know about this forum and loved it. As a web developer, sometimes thoughts came to my mind that I should also start my own defence forum. I tried it then on defenceforum.in (the old domain of DFI which was then publicly available to register). I registered the domain (Rs 800) and installed Xenforo (approx Rs. 8500), and offcourse added some defence categories and related threads. But after one year of trying to attract members (without much funds to renew domain and Xenforo license, since I was still in college), I gave away. The domain expired and Yusuf immediately registered it for 10 years (I think he get noticed of the forum during 1 year life).

After that in 2018 I thought to start again with domain defence.in (a premium domain). Acquiring this domain is a different story, which I will tell later.

In June 2023, after 5 years of trying, I finally acquired the domain. Then I again bought a Xenforo license and started building extentions and custom functionalities. Finally on 13 Nov 2023 defence.in launched.

SInce then I started to build my team, and currently have 18 indivisuals (12 content managers, 5 server & software managers and 1 legal advisor). All working from Indore.

I take inspiration from this forum to build extensions for our site, so you will see some similar functionalities. If any one of you are intereseted then we are happy to welcome you to our forum defence.in

Extraordinary

Ya'll Nibbiars only words, nothing concerte. No Official fund raising stared till now.
Bhai
Ap standard procedure follow karo.
Domain once is @Singh who has not been contacted
Server owner is @LurkerBaba who cannot be contacted.

First we have to get conformation from these guys than anything else can take shape.

No point of talking about money of the owners are nowhere to be found.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Bhai
Ap standard procedure follow karo.
Domain once is @Singh who has not been contacted
Server owner is @LurkerBaba who cannot be contacted.

First we have to get conformation from these guys than anything else can take shape.

No point of talking about money of the owners are nowhere to be found.
Ya'll Nibbiars premission or not will have to purchase package of the Xen Fore for the existing forum or have to make new forum. So money will be required in both the scenarios.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
I am gonna miss this forum a lot. After reading so many posts by so many knowledgeable members here, I became a lot more self aware about anti-Indian narratives. One example: For a long time I thought that BBC was a reputable source and that India was the rape capital of the world but now I know how stupid and dumb I was to fall for any of that.

• I dare say that DFI is the best forum for Indian Defence Enthusiasts. At DFI, it's almost like a frontline platform to counter social media wars.
  • After I joined DFI, started posting here and interacting with the members here, I saw a significant improvement in my English speaking skills and vocabulary. I learnt so many new words and terms.
  • If someone asks me to give a short 30 minute talk on any topic then I can easily speak about the war in Ukraine and put forth relevant points and speak for half and hour.
  • Thank you DFI for being a place where I could come and seek a digital asylum among unknown people here. Say anything but now I think I consider the members here more like my own family.
As a sign of respect. I made this in honour

IMG_20240623_115156.jpg

Good bye DFI! अलविदा! जय हिन्द! !🇮🇳

Sayman Ame

Country flag
From the owner of defence.in, hello everyone

I didn't posts much here, but I am the regular reader of this forum. Sad to hear it is closing, but also get a chance to introduce to you about our forum.

Let's start with start.

I am a 32 years old regular MERN developer who works in a software developer company in Indore, Madhya Pradesh. In 2016 (When I was still in RGPV college), I came to know about this forum and loved it. As a web developer, sometimes thoughts came to my mind that I should also start my own defence forum. I tried it then on defenceforum.in (the old domain of DFI which was then publicly available to register). I registered the domain (Rs 800) and installed Xenforo (approx Rs. 8500), and offcourse added some defence categories and related threads. But after one year of trying to attract members (without much funds to renew domain and Xenforo license, since I was still in college), I gave away. The domain expired and Yusuf immediately registered it for 10 years (I think he get noticed of the forum during 1 year life).

After that in 2018 I thought to start again with domain defence.in (a premium domain). Acquiring this domain is a different story, which I will tell later.

In June 2023, after 5 years of trying, I finally acquired the domain. Then I again bought a Xenforo license and started building extentions and custom functionalities. Finally on 13 Nov 2023 defence.in launched.

SInce then I started to build my team, and currently have 18 indivisuals (12 content managers, 5 server & software managers and 1 legal advisor). All working from Indore.

I take inspiration from this forum to build extensions for our site, so you will see some similar functionalities. If any one of you are intereseted then we are happy to welcome you to our forum defence.in
Very nice. But you know how it is, some of these guys running the show here are long-timers with active participation, we know what their intentions and leanings are. It'd have been nicer if you were active on here to see what you are up to exactly. But I will definitely give your forum a shot! Good to have options like these.

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars @mist_consecutive Nibba is trying to save the whole site. Currently has 1 TB space.

jik60

Country flag
Dammn :crying: it is an unfortunate surprise. I have been part of DFI since early 2010 (Obviously with a different Profile name), I still remember it was started just after the 26/11 attack.DFI was probably the only source for jingos like me to get those HD pictures of NSG operators in their early shitty loadout.

WoW 😢 what a journey it was, thanks a lot @Yusuf and @Singh for it, DFI will be missed by many.

Ready to volunteer for all kinds of assistance, please contact below X account.

Haldilal

Country flag
Dammn :crying: it is an unfortunate surprise. I have been part of DFI since early 2010 (Obviously with a different Profile name), I still remember it was started just after the 26/11 attack.DFI was probably the only source for jingos like me to get those HD pictures of NSG operators in their early shitty loadout.

WoW 😢 what a journey it was, thanks a lot @Yusuf and @Singh for it, DFI will be missed by many.

Ready to volunteer for all kinds of assistance
Ya'll Nibbiars those who want to save threads can There's this tool, HTTrack, which allows us to save entire page with media and all. But setting it up is kinda ass. Someone if has time, please give it a try. You can try to save the Economy thread.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Unable to join the Discord. How to do? I am a noob when it comes to tech.

Haldilal

Country flag

Haldilal

Country flag
What's the shortfall on a monthly / per annum basis ?
Ya'll Nibbiars 20k required per month, plus will require money for domain registration and other smaller things. Per Annum is like 2-3 lakhs.

1719071345916.png

Trial By Fire

The best option in hand is to shift to teligram; already some of us members here run our own defense group there

@aditya10r
I second this. Telegram is the freest alternative that would allow the kind of unimpeded discourse we had here on DFI. Reddit is too libergandu, any subreddit by us will not survive long. Failing that, Haldilal's Discord is the second best option; even so Discord is also getting woker and woker by the day, we won't be able to post as freely and unabashedly as we do here, lest we risk bans.

So, if we prioritize purpose over reach, Telegram would be the best option. But yes, I do acknowledge it wouldn't have nowhere near the same level and extent of reach as DFI did in terms of attracting new members, we would have to keep it alive, if even 5 people drop off, it will die.

P.S: Having contributed my two cents to the solution, I don't want to miss this opportunity if this is indeed the last time. I've had fights, disagreements, laughs, enjoyment, bans, suspensions, redpilling, blackpilling etc etc in this forum.

I don't know if I love you guys and I'm pretty sure I hate some of you, but I'll fucking miss every single one of you. If we never talk again after DFI closes, I just wanna say good luck to you beautiful MFers in whatever you do in the future:truestory::truestory::truestory:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles