Closure of DFI effective 10th July 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag
It's been 15 years of association lurking 1 year and then registered for 14 years.

Sad to see but can understand more regulatory burden across countries would make it a very expensive affair. The days of privately running forums looks to end after 25 years.

another_armchair

Country flag
Guys calm down a bit.

Take rest for a day or two.

Let us think together about possible solution.

I will download latest version of PHP Forums CMS and tinker about a bit.

Lets see how to take care of the hosting issues.
PhpBB is free but we all are used to Xenforo.

Next, we need to know if it will be a high availability website or a simple monolith large server.

IMO, we will need a HA set up with one load balancer and multiple nodes for web and database to handle the traffic we generate.

Linode signed up with Cloudflare so most DDOS attacks will terminate at their end before they manage to put you out of action.

This will require dedicated volunteers who can spare time without expecting any money or bouquets in return. Who among us will devote time for it?

Question to be asked is can it be scaled commercially so some folks can be assigned responsibilities and paid a small remuneration?

Guys, forget gora platforms like Twitter and BigTech. They decide who gets the eyeballs. Worse, your domain can be simply dropped off by a powerful group of DNS providers if they think you are borderline extremist because you do not agree with their POV. Lot of pondering to do before taking the plunge.

As we intend to start with a limited number of threads and member privileges, I think the $648 plan per annum by Xenforo should be good enough for a start. We can figure it out among ourselves as to how we become 'self aware' within the next six months on a custom built forum kit.

I think Laravel+Livewire should do the job quite nicely.

NodeJS+FE ninjas can do a better job than PHP as it tends to scale up better. ExpressJS et al.

Extraordinary

PhpBB is free but we all are used to Xenforo.

Next, we need to know if it will be a high availability website or a simple monolith large server.

IMO, we will need a HA set up with one load balancer and multiple nodes for web and database to handle the traffic we generate.

Linode signed up with Cloudflare so most DDOS attacks will terminate at their end before they manage to put you out of action.

This will require dedicated volunteers who can spare time without expecting any money or bouquets in return. Who among us will devote time for it?

Question to be asked is can it be scaled commercially so some folks can be assigned responsibilities and paid a small remuneration?

Guys, forget gora platforms like Twitter and BigTech. They decide who gets the eyeballs. Worse, your domain can be simply dropped off by a powerful group of DNS providers if they think you are borderline extremist because you do not agree with their POV. Lot of pondering to do before taking the plunge.

As we intend to start with a limited number of threads and member privileges, I think the $648 plan per annum by Xenforo should be good enough for a start. We can figure it out among ourselves as to how we become 'self aware' within the next six months on a custom built forum kit. I think Laravel+Livewire should do the job quite nicely.
Yes we start small and than build up later.

Jimih

Country flag
If Singh or whoever is the owner is amenable to transferring the ownership it can be done. Lock stock & barrel. The only issue is IF..
'Singh phat cat' is the owner as mentioned by Yusuf bhai Bangalore waale

By the way anyone remember Singh saab's posts in the Secular Tweet Digest thread created in the year 2015?

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars Reminder again DFI Discord server as Back Up till the solution is found.

TringTringMonster

Country flag
I came back home and this is what I see? Wtf happened?

I feel it might have been a cyber attack.

captscooby81

Country flag
saab doood peene wale bache hai ....mard toh sirf ek hi hain. sorry just trying to crack humor .. why is 24 such shit year ..first mudi loose majority andmnow this bigger blow of forum shutting down ..

ority a
Arre Behenchodon , yahan aafat aayi nahin ki sab ke gand phat gaye & alvida kehne lage . Zindagi mein bhi aise hi ho kya ? If there is a problem find a solution goddamn it. I think I can now see why so many members are pessimists out here All we have here are boys - some 15 , some 50 & the rest in between . Not many men around here .

Varoon2

Country flag
It's been a major part of my life since I first came on in the spring of 2018

Extraordinary

A few months back PDF forum had a exodus but they somehow survived.
Look likes same won't be the case of DFI.
Pakistani truly are 🪳

Varoon2

Country flag
Folks at this stage of grief I would like to say this was most wonderful thing ever happened in my life
It changed me moulded me and gave a lot of things I was deprived of in my real life

I am a very very very introvert guy since chill
I don't have a single friend nor someone of my age to interact with nor any person sharing same interest with me
I have played alone learnt alone and did many things alone
I always found people to be anti hindu and that also made me reluctant to talk with them
Even today I have no sm account except X that too bcoz of defence updates
Not any friend to talk and interact wrt my interest
But the day I became serious regarding sf and found dfi my life channel 180°, I interacted with many people for first time learnt and understood many things which were of my interest

This is gonna have an ever lasting impact in my life

So I thank everyone for making my life bit less depressing but now I think god has different plan by providing more boredom in my already boring life

Thank you all
I will remember these moments through our my life

Pls forgive me if any language mistake done in this post bahut bhavuk hoon
Jai( if I may call you that) given your deep feelings for DFI, which I can identify with to an extent, you may like this classic song by the Carpenters ' Won't last a day without you'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles