Civil war in Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

temujin

Country flag
Putin has chosen his moment perfectly. Inflation is spiralling across the West with gas prices in Europe hitting record highs daily- utility bills are expected to double over the next 12 months- much of the EU is tethered to Russia's teat when it comes to gas supplies and can ill afford a conflict with it at this stage as the pain will be felt immediately by the population (and industry, most notably in Germany which relies on Russia for over 70% of its gas) Same for oil prices too- fast approaching 100 USD per barrel with pump prices at all time highs. Any talk of sanctions will send prices rocketing further. It cost me £ 1.50 last time I filled up in the UK, that's 50% up in 3 years. In Spain, its gone up 15% since I was last here 3 months ago- wages are a lot lower round here and people in the Mediterranean are very quick to take to the streets and riot- not a risk the EU wants to deal with given the simmering resentment in relation to various pandemic mandates.

In the mean time, Putin has signed an overarching strategic partnership with China in anticipation of this very moment and redirected almost 50% of his gas supplies to the country already. He has paid down Russia's debt (only 18% of GDP, amongst the lowest in the world) and accumulated a war chest of over 650 billion USD.

The guy has been planning this for years.

indiatester

Country flag
Putin has chosen his moment perfectly. Inflation is spiralling across the West with gas prices in Europe hitting record highs daily- utility bills are expected to double over the next 12 months- much of the EU is tethered to Russia's teat when it comes to gas supplies and can ill afford a conflict with it at this stage as the pain will be felt immediately by the population (and industry, most notably in Germany which relies on Russia for over 70% of its gas) Same for oil prices too- fast approaching 100 USD per barrel with pump prices at all time highs. Any talk of sanctions will send prices rocketing further. It cost me £ 1.50 last time I filled up in the UK, that's 50% up in 3 years. In Spain, its gone up 15% since I was last here 3 months ago- wages are a lot lower round here and people in the Mediterranean are very quick to take to the streets and riot- not a risk the EU wants to deal with given the simmering resentment in relation to various pandemic mandates.

In the mean time, Putin has signed an overarching strategic partnership with China in anticipation of this very moment and redirected almost 50% of his gas supplies to the country already. He has paid down Russia's debt (only 18% of GDP, amongst the lowest in the world) and accumulated a war chest of over 650 billion USD.

The guy has been planning this for years.
I guess US has been anticipating this too.
Possibly the reason why it quit Afghanistan and did not commit itself fully in Syria.

While US direct involvement here may not happen right away, but US is consolidating itself too.

temujin

Country flag
I guess US has been anticipating this too.
Possibly the reason why it quit Afghanistan and did not commit itself fully in Syria.

While US direct involvement here may not happen right away, but US is consolidating itself too.
If anything, I assume Putin has factored in Biden's weak leadership, alongside EU's ambivalence, into his calculations too. Plus the doubts US's disgraceful Afghan withdrawal would have created among Ukrainians counting on the former's support in any conflict with Russia.

alphacentury

Country flag
Whereas, Russia has grown on the foundations of fierce national pride and “fighting for motherland”. Of course, it will birth strong leaders like Putin.
I dont think he had any other options. If he didn't acted now it would be more costly in the future. And, either way, the collateral here are ukrainians, not americans. even if Russia destroys Ukraine, it means less slavic people for anglosphere, a reason to be happy. Also given how pragmatic putin is, I doubt he likes Russia to be too much dependent on China. He ofc is one of the greatest leaders we have seen in our lifetime, but doubt things are going the way he wanted.

notaname

Country flag
Text ------

___&__
Amazing how west managed to hold UNSC meet on Ukraine in such a short notice. August 16th when Taliban took over Afghanistan in a Blitzkrieg speed it was sunday and no one bothered. Many at the council waited for monday to come. India was the president of the council.

notaname

Country flag
India backs Minsk Agreements at UNSC saying they "provide a basis for a negotiated and peaceful settlement"

Flash: At UNSC, India's @IndiaUNNewYork @ambtstirumurti says "escalation of tension" along "border of Ukraine with the Russia" is "matter of deep concern" and these "developments have the potential to undermine peace and security of the region."

maximus777

Country flag
russian troops yes,ukranian no???,anyway russki declared donetsk an actual country and moving in there,conflict is bound to happen
I get that, but why isnt Ukraine resisting Russian troops entering Donetsk? Crimea all over again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles