Civil war in Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

sorcerer

Country flag
Learning From the Best: US Airborne Brigade Sent to Ukraine Has History of War Atrocities

A veteran of the 173rd Airborne Brigade writes about what Ukraine can learn from his former unit
Graphic content -
This photograph was taken in Camp Zinn, Vietnam, sometime after March of 1966. Camp Zinn was the firebase and home of the second infantry battalion of the 173rd Airborne Brigade (paratroopers). The "Charger" in "Charger Country" refers to "C" company of the second battalion. Camp Zinn was about thirty miles from Saigon.

A severed ear on a necklace and a bloody machete are depicted in the upper left hand corner of the billboard. They are not drawn to scale. Next to the ear is "Sorry 'Bout That," which was G.I. slang used to mock the misfortunes of others. Below that is "All the Way Sir," which clearly signals that the depicted activity was sanctioned by the officers as was the erection of this billboard.

I was a rifleman in the 173rd Airborne Brigade and in the second battalion and in "Charger" Company. I was there from about the Spring of 1965 to the Spring of 1966. I don't remember seeing this billboard, and even if I had, I wouldn't have thought it noteworthy at the time. We took ears and even a few heads. It was common, and it was common knowledge that we did so at all levels of our brigade. Just for the record, I bet ranking officers at the brigade level also took ears.

What I want to focus on is that this billboard was large and clearly visible to all. What's more, Camp Zinn was a sort of "Show Case" firebase because of its proximity to Saigon. Visiting dignitaries, both civilian and military, were common. We were visited by playboy bunnies, Hollywood celebrities, politicians, and members of the press.

Do you recall the scene in the movie Apocalypse Now when the G.I.s rushed the stage with the playboy bunnies on it? Well, such an event actually did occur, and it happened to the visiting playboy bunnies while I was with the 173rd. The troubled officer Capt. Willard of the same movie is clearly identified as a 173rd veteran by the 173rd unit patch on his right shoulder.

In addition to mutilating corpses, we also burnt down houses; I Zippoed up a few myself. We also commonly shot livestock, from chicken size up to waterbuffalo. Anecdotal evidence also credits a Vietnam-era 173rd paratrooper with the unofficial record number of ears on a necklace: 17. Also worthy of noting is the fact that many West Point graduates sought postings to the 173rd Airborne because its fierce reputation enhanced their promotion prospects. We were a showcase unit heavily infused with West Point officers. And what did we do? We started committing atrocities almost from the day we arrived in Vietnam, then bragged about it publicly via this billboard.

Nowadays, the 173rd has been sent to the Ukraine for the stated purpose of "training" Ukrainian troops. Gosh, I didn't know that those Punisher battalions needed any instructions in mutilating bodies, torching homes, smashing property, popping stimulant pills, and looting. Judging from the videos I've seen on Youtube, those frisky Right Sector fellas are up to speed on all those activities.
:taunt:
And last, but still worthy of note to any Rooskies, this is a "Jody Chant" that we aspiring paratroopers ran and marched to during paratrooper training at Ft. Benning, Georgia, back in 1964:

If I die on the Russian Front

Bury me with a Russian cunt

Pin my wings upon my chest

And tell my mom I did my best

I just wanted you Russians to know what sort of fellows are camping out on your border.

Tom Chittum was a member of the 173rd Airborne in Vietnam. He is a retired computer programmer and author of "Civil War Two: The Coming Breakup of America", published by America First Books. His works have also been translated into Russian.

Learning From the Best: US Airborne Brigade Sent to Ukraine Has History of War Atrocities

sorcerer

Country flag
US-NATO Antics in the Nuclear Playground
by BRIAN CLOUGHLEY

Voutenay sur Cure, France.

The commander of US-NATO forces, the vigorously vocal General Breedlove, stated on April 7 that the military alliance's planners "have been working tirelessly to enhance NATO's Response Force and implement the Very High Readiness Joint Task Force, and today our progress is manifested in the rapid deployments we see happening in locations across the Alliance."

Breedlove is the man who declared on March 5 that Russia had sent combat troops and massive quantities of military equipment into Ukraine. He said that President Putin had "upped the ante" in eastern Ukraine by deploying "well over a thousand combat vehicles, Russian combat forces, some of their most sophisticated air defense, battalions of artillery." His military opinion was that "What is clear is that right now, it is not getting better. It is getting worse every day."

He spoke absolute drivel, because the ceasefire between Ukrainian forces and separatists in the east of the country was working, albeit shakily, and things were quietening down. The last thing that was needed was provocation. Silence and, or at the most, calm, reasoned comments were essential if both sides were to be encouraged to cool it.

But this man, the Supreme Allied Commander Europe, the man who has the trust of the American president, the prime nuclear button-shover, told a deliberate lie intended to increase tension.

The manufactured tension built up and on April 7 Breedlove's HQ announced that the militaries of "11 Allied nations, Germany, Poland, Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Lithuania, Croatia, Portugal, and Slovenia tested their Headquarters' response to alert procedures," while "in the afternoon of 7 April, the 11th Air Mobile Brigade in The Netherlands and the 4th Rapid Reaction Brigade in the Czech Republic were given orders to rapidly prepare to deploy their troops and equipment" in a maneuver called "Noble Jump" which conjured up an image of a missile-wielding April bunny leaping into the fray against a coyly unnamed enemy who could be no other than Russia. (Although perhaps Russia need not be too troubled about some of NATO's war preparations. My sources told me that the practice mobilization of the Dutch brigade was a shambles.):rofl:

While the ground-based martial bunny-hops were going on there was an aerial provocation in progress, this time involving a US Combat Sent RC-135U spyplane which was on a mission against Russia and flew along its Baltic Sea coastline. To prevent identification its transponder had been switched off — just like those of the aircraft in the 9/11 hijackings and Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 which disappeared mysteriously a year ago.

All aircraft have transponders which report their speed, height, heading and identification to air traffic controllers and other aircraft in order to avoid aerial confusion, so when Russian radar detected a large aircraft without such a signal but obviously using transmission devices to collect their radar and other electronic emissions, including civilian commercial communications, they sent up a fighter plane to have a look. Washington threw up its hands in mock horror and issued statements about how dangerous this was. Then the western media went into overdrive with a cavalier disregard for balanced reporting.

The Daily Mail of Britain is a garbage newspaper which maintains enormous readership because it specializes in glamorizing Britain's sad, tacky and pathetic Celeb culture while concurrently condemning it, sometimes in the most portentous terms. The paper's masses of online readers try to rationalize their attraction to vulgarity by glancing at items on international affairs and were told breathlessly that "In a maneuver with ominous echoes of the Cold War, a Russian fighter jet 'aggressively' intercepted an American plane over Poland, the Pentagon claims. Filing an official complaint to Russia, the State Department alleges a U.S. RC-135U reconnaissance aircraft was flying near the Baltic Sea in international airspace when a Russian SU-27 Flanker cut into its path.":rofl:

The average Daily Mail reader might not be able to question the absurdly conflicting phrases "near the Baltic Sea," "over Poland," and "in international airspace," but that doesn't matter. The message was being spread around by the US-NATO propaganda apparatus that the dreaded Russkies were menacing the Free World. The media lapped it up.

Little attention was paid in the West to the Russian announcement that "an Su-27 fighter on duty was scrambled, approached the unidentified aircraft, flew around it several times, identified it as an RC-135U reconnaissance aircraft belonging to the U.S. Air Force and read its side number, and reported it to the command. After having been intercepted by the Russian fighter, the U.S. Air Force aircraft changed its course and moved away from the Russian border."

What the Russians didn't say was that the aircraft's "side number" was 4849 and that it had been photographed the previous day in Eastern England at the Royal Air Force base at Mildenhall which houses a USAF tanker squadron, about 200 US special forces soldiers with Osprey aircraft and operatives from such elements as 97 Intelligence Squadron.

No doubt the Russians know that last October it was noticed that US RC-135U spy plane number 4849 carries on its side some eye-catching decals. A photograph taken by Gary Chadwick at Mildenhall shows the "mission markings applied above the crew entry hatch, on the left hand side of the RC-135U Combat Sent 64-14849 'OF' with the 45th Reconnaissance Squadron/55th Wing of the U.S. Air Force : five hammer and sickle symbols."

These symbols may be stickers or stencils, but whatever they are they cost money and take time and effort to apply on the side of an airplane to which they add neither beauty or distinction. So why are they placed there?

It might be thought strange that a US military aircraft in 2015 should have Soviet-era hammer and sickle decals on its side in order to publicly indicate a military exploit involving achievement of an objective of some sort. And it is interesting that one of the images has been added recently, because when a photograph of 4849 was taken last year there were only four such symbols. What enterprising and gallant mission merited the fifth hammer and sickle? Another addition was a fourth depiction of an aircraft carrier, signifying, no doubt, a successful electronic spying mission involving one of these ships that was not of the United States Navy. What nationality could it have been?

The anti-Russian spy-antics of the US are fully in line with the war-talk of Breedlove and his NATO colleagues who are beavering away in their brand-new billion dollar combat palace in Brussels to justify existence and expansion of their war machine. Russia's actions have been propagandized accordingly, and the US spy flights are intended to provoke Moscow into taking action which can be used to escalate tension yet further. It would all be childishly funny were it not for the fact that Breedlove and his people are playing with the future of Europe and indeed the world. They are leading us to the nuclear threshold, and must be reined in before they stumble into ultimate confrontation.

Brian Cloughley writes about foreign policy and military affairs. He lives in Voutenay sur Cure, France.

Cadian

We won't make a list about all journalists and opponents murdered in Russia..
Slava Rassiy!! :peace: :peace:
You can see the lists of killed journalists in Russia even on Wikipedia.

But why you even compare? Russia is an evil totalitarian mafia state, run by cruel vengeful dictator.

While Ukraine is building Democratic Liberal state with Supremacy of Law and respect for Human Rights. Why it's using totalitarian criminal methods?

jouni

You can see the lists of killed journalists in Russia even on Wikipedia.

But why you even compare? Russia is an evil totalitarian mafia state, run by cruel vengeful dictator.

While Ukraine is building Democratic Liberal state with Supremacy of Law and respect for Human Rights. Why it's using totalitarian criminal methods?
I met yesterday some Russian guys and girls in a nightclub in Apatity. They said they do not like Putin and want Russia to become like Finland. I wonder how widespread this kind of thinking is, and does it need bottle of Vodka before you dare to say such things.

Nice people, we celebrated the friendship of our countries till morning. No speak of "evil west"

sgarg

I met yesterday some Russian guys and girls in a nightclub in Apatity. They said they do not like Putin and want Russia to become like Finland. I wonder how widespread this kind of thinking is, and does it need bottle of Vodka before you dare to say such things.

Nice people, we celebrated the friendship of our countries till morning. No speak of "evil west"
See you have proved yourself wrong. You have yourself proved that Russia has democracy. Some Russians talked to you and said they oppose Putin openly.
You do the same in Kiev and you will get killed.
Does Kiev has "democracy"??

sgarg

A Look at the Russian National Strategy

It appears that most Russians still want their country to be a great power, and one of the leading global players; not a satellite of the United States, not a member of the European Union, but an independent power with an independent foreign and defence policy.

One of the manifestations of the nascent national consensus was the radical military reform implemented in 2008-2012. That reform has been an important step forward in terms of implementing the latest Russian military goals and strategies.

Read more at LiveLeak.com - A Look at the Russian National Strategy

It is quite obvious that the aforementioned Russian policy goals are in conflict with the American and Western policies. The US and the NATO countries want Russia to be economically, politically and militarily weak . They certainly do not want the country to regain its great power status; they are not interested in Russian 'imperial resurgence'. The goals of the majority of the Western countries with regard to Russia run counter to Russia's own nascent consensus. In essence, the West does not want Russia's internal and external consolidation as a powerful global player. This is a natural consequence of the US-led Western bloc's wish to preserve its own global dominance, and to neutralize all potential rivals.

As a result, many Russians see the US and the West as an obstacle on the way towards Russia's national renaissance and modernisation. That is why the US still remains a potential adversary for Russia.

At the same time, the West has is own economic interests, and it wants to 'neutralize' Russia not only by 'containment' but also through the country's integration into West-controlled institutions, arrangements and mechanisms. Western policy on Russia is, therefore, very ambiguous; both sides constantly vacillate between hostility and cooperation in their mutual relations.

Broadly speaking, it would not be an exaggeration to say that none of Russia's neighbors, not a single one (including most of the former Soviet republics) is interested in Russia becoming a great power once again. That explains their staunchly pro-West orientation, their aspiration to join NATO, etc. Unstable and ultra-nationalistic post-Soviet entities (especially the Baltic states and Georgia, as well as Ukraine, which is in a state of permanent flux about its foreign policy orientation) currently represent the greatest problem for Russian security. It can be said, therefore, that Russia is surrounded by a fairly unfriendly environment, and its neighbors will not help it to achieve its national policy goals. That is why Russia is forced to regard almost all of its direct neighbors as potential adversaries, to a greater or lesser extent.

On the other hand, it is entirely obvious that the former Soviet republics are a natural sphere of Russian national interests. These republics have a multitude of social, political and economic links with Russia. That is why Russia's renaissance as a great power is impossible without the restoration of Russian dominance in the former Soviet republics. The forms and methods of such dominance are a question for another discussion. But it is clear that such dominance will be impossible without putting an end to Western meddling in this zone of Russian interests.

Finally, Russia continues to face the threat of terrorism and separatism; to some extent, these threats are being fu-elled by external actors. (Saudi Arabia, for example)

The concept of the 'multi-polar world', of which Russia is a staunch advocate, is inherently prone to conflicts. It turns the world into an arena of rivalry between the various players, and that rivalry may also include the use of force. The numerous 'poles' in such a multipolar world will inevitably become rivals, and try to create their own spheres of influence in their respective regions. Naturally, given Russia's military and industrial capability, its long imperialist tradition, and its unique geopolitical situation at the heart of Eurasia, Russia is in a better position than many other nations to become one of the world's greatest powers.

sgarg

Merkel traitor, Porosjenko a thief. Declaration by Member

The German Left Party deputy chairman Sahra Wagenknecht has made an outrageous statement in the Bundestag. She has accused Merkel because she lurks German citizens and supports the bandit regime in Ukraine led by oligarch president Pyotr Porosjenko:

Our government seemed to support the forces that fought for democracy and Europe and the oligarchs, poverty and corruption. Now you are supporting the government with four nationalist ministers who openly discriminate against Russians and Jews. This government for a war against its own people. You support the president who financed his election campaign with billions of dollars he stole from the budget.

100 years after the First World War and decades after the horrific World War II contributes Germany's lead to another war in the middle of Europe:

Ukraine is about to be destroyed by civil war. You deceive our society when you hide what is really happening in Ukraine. Just as military Taliban leader, finance Ukrainian oligarchs their own armies and without shame or conscience plundering the country.

Poverty is continuing to increase, the social inequality out of control, then such a Europe dying. And it will be your fault, Mrs. Merkel! You have betrayed Europe!
Germany's policy on anti-Russian sanctions, according to Sahra Wagenknecht irresponsible. U.S. oil and gas concerns laughing at that policy, saying the Bundestag member:
Peace and security in Europe is impossible without Russia and even less in conflict with Russia.

Read more at LiveLeak.com - Merkel traitor, Porosjenko a thief. Declaration by Member

jouni

A Look at the Russian National Strategy

It appears that most Russians still want their country to be a great power, and one of the leading global players; not a satellite of the United States, not a member of the European Union, but an independent power with an independent foreign and defence policy.

One of the manifestations of the nascent national consensus was the radical military reform implemented in 2008-2012. That reform has been an important step forward in terms of implementing the latest Russian military goals and strategies.

Read more at LiveLeak.com - A Look at the Russian National Strategy

It is quite obvious that the aforementioned Russian policy goals are in conflict with the American and Western policies. The US and the NATO countries want Russia to be economically, politically and militarily weak . They certainly do not want the country to regain its great power status; they are not interested in Russian 'imperial resurgence'. The goals of the majority of the Western countries with regard to Russia run counter to Russia's own nascent consensus. In essence, the West does not want Russia's internal and external consolidation as a powerful global player. This is a natural consequence of the US-led Western bloc's wish to preserve its own global dominance, and to neutralize all potential rivals.

As a result, many Russians see the US and the West as an obstacle on the way towards Russia's national renaissance and modernisation. That is why the US still remains a potential adversary for Russia.

At the same time, the West has is own economic interests, and it wants to 'neutralize' Russia not only by 'containment' but also through the country's integration into West-controlled institutions, arrangements and mechanisms. Western policy on Russia is, therefore, very ambiguous; both sides constantly vacillate between hostility and cooperation in their mutual relations.

Broadly speaking, it would not be an exaggeration to say that none of Russia's neighbors, not a single one (including most of the former Soviet republics) is interested in Russia becoming a great power once again. That explains their staunchly pro-West orientation, their aspiration to join NATO, etc. Unstable and ultra-nationalistic post-Soviet entities (especially the Baltic states and Georgia, as well as Ukraine, which is in a state of permanent flux about its foreign policy orientation) currently represent the greatest problem for Russian security. It can be said, therefore, that Russia is surrounded by a fairly unfriendly environment, and its neighbors will not help it to achieve its national policy goals. That is why Russia is forced to regard almost all of its direct neighbors as potential adversaries, to a greater or lesser extent.

On the other hand, it is entirely obvious that the former Soviet republics are a natural sphere of Russian national interests. These republics have a multitude of social, political and economic links with Russia. That is why Russia's renaissance as a great power is impossible without the restoration of Russian dominance in the former Soviet republics. The forms and methods of such dominance are a question for another discussion. But it is clear that such dominance will be impossible without putting an end to Western meddling in this zone of Russian interests.

Finally, Russia continues to face the threat of terrorism and separatism; to some extent, these threats are being fu-elled by external actors. (Saudi Arabia, for example)

The concept of the 'multi-polar world', of which Russia is a staunch advocate, is inherently prone to conflicts. It turns the world into an arena of rivalry between the various players, and that rivalry may also include the use of force. The numerous 'poles' in such a multipolar world will inevitably become rivals, and try to create their own spheres of influence in their respective regions. Naturally, given Russia's military and industrial capability, its long imperialist tradition, and its unique geopolitical situation at the heart of Eurasia, Russia is in a better position than many other nations to become one of the world's greatest powers.
I think we have to prepare for the fall of Soviet Union part two. This kind of talk is in strong contrast with economic and politic reality. How can Russia with sinking 2 trillion economy compete with west... It has no real allies, everybody wants to run away. Those who suffer most are Russian citizen, their leaders always manage with golden parachutes.

pmaitra

I met yesterday some Finnish guys and girls in a nightclub in Apathetic. They said they do not like Sauli Niinistö and want Finland to join Russia. I wonder how widespread this kind of thinking is, and does it need dose of apathy before you dare to say such things.

Nice people, we celebrated the friendship of our countries till morning. No speak of "Russian aggression."

P.S.: Rhetorical and uncorroborated anecdote to counter rhetorical and uncorroborated anecdote.

The pertinent question is, do these people you allegedly met support Crimea's re-unification with Russia? Do these people oppose the eastwards expansion of NATO? You should ask these questions and post here. People may not like Putin, but that does not translate into them supporting entities hostile to Russia.

jouni

I met yesterday some Finnish guys and girls in a nightclub in Apathetic. They said they do not like Sauli Niinistö and want Finland to join Russia. I wonder how widespread this kind of thinking is, and does it need dose of apathy before you dare to say such things.

Nice people, we celebrated the friendship of our countries till morning. No speak of "Russian aggression."

P.S.: Rhetorical and uncorroborated anecdote to counter rhetorical and uncorroborated anecdote.

The pertinent question is, do these people you allegedly met support Crimea's re-unification with Russia? Do these people oppose the eastwards expansion of NATO? You should ask these questions and post here. People may not like Putin, but that does not translate into them supporting entities hostile to Russia.
Unfortunately we never got to foreign policy. They were more interested in Russian poor infrastructure compared that to Finnish one. That is actually a good sign. If government cannot provide the basic needs for people like good roads, waste management, clean water etc, then people start to question the government. Foreign policy comes only after that.

pmaitra

Unfortunately we never got to foreign policy. They were more interested in Russian poor infrastructure compared that to Finnish one. That is actually a good sign. If government cannot provide the basic needs for people like good roads, waste management, clean water etc, then people start to question the government. Foreign policy comes only after that.
I know at least one Russian who does not like Putin, but strongly supports the position of the Russian Federation w.r.t. the west, Ukraine, and Crimea. As long as the west is hostile to Russia, Russians will always support any strong leader who will protect the nation from external threats.

sgarg

China's New Plan to Dethrone the Dollar (And Why It's Working)

Editorial Note: In today's featured piece, Sean details a major development in China that's about to have a huge - and most likely negative - impact on the dollar. But it isn't the only looming threat against our economy and stocks right now. A dangerous situation is brewing not far from China, in the Middle East. And not surprisingly, it involves oil. Sean has been tracking this story closely. To get all the details, click here.
Read more at LiveLeak.com - China's New Plan to Dethrone the Dollar (And Why It's Working)

Circle September on your calendar. That's when the world you know might change forever. And not in a good way.

September is when China plans to roll out the China International Payment System (CIPS). The new system will make it easier to process international payment transfers in China's currency, the yuan (or renminbi).

As a result, the yuan will officially become a global trading currency. But the real goal here is brutally simple: China wants to dethrone the U.S. dollar as the world's international reserve currency.

It won't happen right away. This is just one of a series of gates China is opening... unleashing forces that will become an irresistible flood of change.

Right now, the system to process cross-border payments in yuan is clunky. But the CIPS will use the same coding system as the other big international payments system, SWIFT. That's short for the Society of Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunications.

(Don't let your eyes glaze over at the acronyms. I promise to limit those as much as possible. You'll want to pay attention, though. This may be the most important story you read this week.)

SWIFT is based in Brussels, but 44.6% of the payments that go through it are in U.S. dollars. So, it's really the platform that makes the mighty greenback the world's reserve currency.

The Chinese hate the dollar's supremacy. They want their place in the sun. And they're finding a lot of allies who are upset with Uncle Sam...

Allies like Russia.

America's License to Print Money Is About to Be Revoked

The U.S. and European nations were recently putting pressure on SWIFT to kick Russia out of the international payment system. This was to punish Russia for its recent land grab/border war with Ukraine.

Well, that was then. You know what SWIFT just did? It gave Russia a seat on its board - a VERY exclusive club. This move is a slap in the face to the U.S.

So why is SWIFT bending over backward to accommodate Russia? I think it's terrified of the competition that is represented by China's new CIPS system. It doesn't want Russia doing all its business in CIPS.

But it may be too late. In fact, there is a lot going wrong in America's currency empire lately. And a lot of it can be traced back to China.

Americans don't realize what an advantage we have thanks to the dollar being the world's reserve currency. We can basically print money. Washington never has to balance its checkbook (at least, not yet). Other countries must stockpile Smaug-hoards of dollars just so they can pay for things on the international market.

One of those countries is China. And it's had enough.

China has $1.24 trillion in forex reserves. It piles up that wealth due to its imbalance of trade with the U.S. And to maintain that status quo, China must continue buying dollars (and U.S. Treasurys) to prop up the spendthrift Americans and their currency.

So why would China risk a $1.2 trillion investment by dethroning the dollar? I'll give you that answer in a minute.

First, let's look at some more facts...

Global Yuan Use Is Taking Off

As I said, China isn't the only one fed up with U.S. dollar hegemony. The Bank of Russia and People's Bank of China have already inked numerous agreements to trade completely outside the U.S. dollar.

China is signing treaty after treaty with other countries around the globe to clear trade deals in yuan.

Use of the currency is already soaring. The yuan became one of the world's top five payment currencies in November, overtaking the Canadian dollar and the Australian dollar.

In 2014, yuan payments jumped by 102%. They increased by 20.3% in December alone.

China is pushing for the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to endorse the yuan as a global reserve currency alongside the dollar and euro.

Yi Gang, vice governor of the People's Bank of China, told reporters that the country is "actively communicating" with the IMF on the possibility of including the yuan in the basket of the Special Drawing Rights (SDRs).

Forces Are Lining Up to Lever China's Influence

China isn't just pumping up its currency. It is rolling out aid programs and even a development bank to rival and undercut the influence of the World Bank, a U.S.-led institution.

To date, China has pledged...

$40 billion for the Silk Road infrastructure fund, which seeks to revive the trade routes that once connected China to the Mediterranean. (I wrote about China's Silk Road investments in India here.)
$10 billion for the New Development Bank - also known as the BRICS Bank - which is co-founded with Brazil, Russia, India and South Africa.
$41 billion for a related BRICS Bank currency contingency fund.
$16.3 billion for domestic infrastructure routes that will pump business through neighboring countries.
$50 billion to launch the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB). The AIIB is meant to seed investment in Asia - in transportation, energy, telecommunications and other infrastructure.

The AIIB is the jewel in China's economic development crown. So far, 36 countries have signed on as founding members, mostly from Asia and the Middle East. China expects to contribute 50% of the AIIB's funds going forward.

But, humiliatingly for the U.S., Britain joined the AIIB even when our government asked them not to. Germany, France, Switzerland and Italy also ignored U.S. pleas and jumped the fence.

The AIIB will wield plenty of influence. A whopping 4.5 billion people (62% of the world's population) live in Asia. And many of them live in absolute squalor. More than 600 million Asians have no access to electricity, while 1.8 billion Asians have no access to clean cooking facilities.

Still... why is China taking this risk? It is the world's biggest investor in U.S. Treasurys. Why upset the applecart?

I'll tell you why: because China has to.

Why Take the Risk? They Must!

Money is fleeing China by hook or by crook. The country needs it to stay if it wants to have a bright future.

China tops the world in many things. But one thing it's probably not proud of is its position as the No. 1 exporter of illicit funds. More than $1.25 trillion drained out of the country between 2003 and 2012, according to a report from Global Financial Integrity.

More than 18,000 Chinese citizens are "economic fugitives." And there are more and more every day.

This is why property markets continue to inflate in parts of Canada, California, New York City and Washington, D.C., among other places. Foreign investment in U.S. property nearly doubled to $22 billion between March 2013 and March 2014.
Chinese cash accounts for nearly a quarter of the money foreign buyers spent on U.S. real estate last year.

Meanwhile, Chinese entrepreneurs have become quite innovative in finding ways to get money out of the country. They have a shell company overbill by two or three times for goods shipped to the mainland. Or they bill for millions of dollars of services that are never performed.

Of course, the old-fashioned methods still work as well. Wealthy Chinese stuff suitcases with cash, jewelry and gold and take extended "vacations" with no intention of going back.

The fact is, nobody wants to keep their money in a country that is still controlled by a communist party - not if they have a choice. Heck, China jailed and/or condemned 749 disgraced officials last year, many for lining their pockets.

Do you think other corrupt officials might be getting itchy feet?

China has asked the U.S. for help in getting its fugitives back. The last time the U.S. cooperated on a Chinese extradition was 11 years ago. Fat chance, Beijing!

Once Chinese expatriates get their money out, they have little to no intention of bringing it back.

This is a big problem for China. And it gets worse every day.

With Frenemies like These...

Meanwhile, Russia and other countries on our "frenemies" list have to watch the U.S. wield the mighty U.S. dollar like a bludgeon.

By the way, that list just happens to include the oil sheiks of OPEC.

Friendships forged in oil and mutual interest are unraveling. (In fact, my latest research has confirmed that a Saudi-led coalition is currently working on a plan that could devastate our economy... U.S. stocks... and especially the dollar. For that story, click here.)

The point is, if there were a way to make Uncle Sam stumble - AND improve their own international standing - you know many countries would do it. And why stop there? Heck, they'd probably like to kneecap the ol' SOB, that's what they'd like to do...

Which brings us back to China's new international payments system. This, along with the other power plays the country is making in the high-stakes game of global influence, is setting the mighty dollar up for a tremendous fall.

China will start using CIPS in September or October. If that goes well, the full rollout starts early next year.

Now ask yourself...

All those countries that stockpile dollars for international trade... what if they don't need so many dollars anymore? What will they do then?

We might see dollars dumped like there's no tomorrow.

The dollar's global dominion is coming to an end. It's time to stop hoping it won't happen and instead start preparing for it.

sgarg

Putin has ALREADY ACHIEVED his objectives in Ukraine. Your position is like the proverb in Hindi "khisiyani billi khamba noche". The proverb means that the cat who was chasing a rat bites on the pillar in frustration as rat has already fled.

All Putin has to do is defend the new State of NovoRussia that has been created in the East. Can Putin do that?? By all means.

Kiev can try to invade Crimea but the job for Kiev is very tough without successful use of aviation.

sorcerer

Country flag
Eric Morse: The phoney war in Ukraine
In the wake of Canada's announcement that we will send 200 trainers to Ukraine, the phrase "phoney war" somehow stirs mental echoes.

Stipulated: the "real phoney war" (1939-40) was considerably different. War had been declared, but Hitler was caught off-balance by the speed of his victory in Poland, and had made no preparations for an invasion of the West. Nobody in London or Paris had any doubt that he was coming, simply nobody knew when, where or how hard. The eternal problem with intelligence: you may be able to see it, to read its licence plate from a satellite, to watch it moving around, but you can never know what it is going to do until it does it. For the British forces in France things were pleasantly surreal, until on May 10, 1940 they got unpleasantly real in a hurry.

That is the problem with military scenarios (and with war itself). They are not subject to prediction. For Canadians who tend to believe that anything military can be practised with minimal risk, on the cheap and in measurable, calibrated packets, it is a real problem. The Ukrainian situation has different complexities but a similar look and feel to the "phoney war." Despite the fact that we are not fighting or planning on doing it, it is far longer a step into Carl von Clausewitz's "province of chance" than Iraq/Syria.

As gruesome as it is, ISIL is not a military threat to the West. Leaving the theological debates over what constitutes "combat" aside, Canada is playing a realistic role in a reasonably knowable situation. Missions can creep, but that one shouldn't unless somebody foolishly decides to commit ground troops in force.

Russia has attacked Ukraine and no longer bothers to hide the fact. What Moscow will do next is unknowable (and they really may not know themselves), but in recent days fighting is again ramping up in Donetsk and east of the strategic seacoast city of Mariupol; the Minsk 2 ceasefire, which really never did cease fire, is looking more and more like a dead letter. Moscow is pressing a "phoney air war" aggressively in the Baltic and around NATO territories.

In response, Canada, along with the U.S. and U.K., has now staked out a position in Ukraine that is in parallel with but separate from its NATO commitments in Eastern Europe and the Baltics; a curious hall-of-mirrors effect that Moscow can only relish since it underlines a growing schism within NATO over what to do about Russian intentions in (non-NATO) Ukraine. The intent is to deter Russia and to show solidarity with Ukraine, but if deterrence doesn't work then we will have something that could look a lot like hostilities.

The government has done its best to minimize risk and manage expectations, but there are several ways that this can go sideways fast. Not all of them depend entirely on the Russians. Three-quarters of Canada's effort is going to training Ukrainian National Guard battalions, but how the Ukrainian government will find them is a little vague, and integrating the independent militias into them – which is what is proposed – may present far bigger and more complex problems than Ottawa is now prepared to admit.

More directly (or indirectly), what began last year in Crimea with Russian "little green men" can keep going that way. Perhaps not in West Ukraine, but a very creepy variation on one of the common Baltic scenarios would have NATO's troops (ours included) wake up one day to find their bases surrounded by Russian "protestors." :rofl:Nothing including food gets in or out by ground or air. For as long as it takes.

Eric Morse, a former Canadian diplomat, is co-chair of security studies at the Royal Canadian Military Institute in Toronto.
Eric Morse: The phoney war in Ukraine | Ottawa Citizen

sorcerer

Country flag
Press Digest: Bring Russia back into the G8, says German foreign minister
German foreign minister: It is useless to discuss global conflicts without Russia

Nezavisimaya Gazeta reviews the meeting of foreign ministers from the G7 group of industrialized nations in the German city of Lübeck on April 14. According to the newspaper, the words of German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier, who expressed his conviction that the G7 would benefit from the return of Russia, have become an important signal. Nezavisimaya Gazeta notes that the forum participants acknowledged that the lifting of sanctions against Russia is possible with the full implementation of the Minsk agreements.

In comments made to Nezavisimaya Gazeta, Institute of Europe Deputy Director Vladislav Belov pointed out that for several months Germany, represented by Steinmeier, has been drawing the attention of Western nations to the fact that, despite sanctions, Russia remains a major player on which the security system in Europe and the world as a whole depends, and that there can be no progress in reforming this system without Moscow's participation.

However, "consensus regarding the return of Russia to the G7 will not be reached soon," said Belov. "This issue is being discussed in the context of the easing of the pressure of sanctions," he said, arguing that Moscow has long put forward constructive initiatives that were read by the West as disguised attempts to exclusively promote Moscow's own interests. "Had the dialogue started earlier, it would have been quite possible to avoid the Ukrainian events of November 2013 – February 2014," said Belov.

- Press Digest: Bring Russia back into the G8, says German foreign minister | Russia Beyond The Headlines)

jouni

In today's Russia is a nightmare "Ukraine like Estonia , but 40 times bigger"
Kasper sum of 08.11.2014 at 0:02 (updated 08/11/2014 at 0:07)
Russian President Vladimir Putin wants to cut off Ukraine's rise.
Edward Lucas Hromadsken interview.
(Громадське Телебачення / youtube.com)
Former Economist magazine in Moscow delivery manager and writer Edward Lucas is of the opinion that Putin's goals in Ukraine are mainly negative.
- Putin wants to prevent that Ukraine will become a success story, Lucas says Hromadsken interview (below).
- His nightmare would be that Ukraine would be like in Estonia, but 40 times higher. This would be an existential crisis in his regime.
Lucas believes that Putin has succeeded in its aim. According to him, Ukraine, raising the discount of its current state would take the most best of cases, 5-15 years and would require a lot of help from west.
Ukraine can not, however, according to Lucas to build strong institutions to save the economy and society place on the cracks, until Russia stops interfering in its affairs.
- He (Putin) has done a good job, and will not need to do little more than he has already done, in order to get the West to admit that the situation in Ukraine is quite hopeless, Lucas says.
Lucas said Ukraine should not be placed too much hope in the West. According to him, their desire to support Ukraine and against Russia is limited.
- Ukrainians have to do this yourself. It is very boring, very difficult and very important issues. The construction of a functioning state institutions, civil society and the people receiving the fixing to the idea that the state belongs to them and not their enemies, Lucas list.
Lucas, the Ukraine has to go through those steps that many of the other former Soviet state has taken over the last 25 years.
- Unfortunately, Ukraine has been here since the end of communism behind their ancestry spooky incompetent and corrupt political elite because Lucas says.

http://www.verkkouutiset.fi/ulkomaat/putinin_painajainen_ukraina_kuin_viro_isompi-27851

Last edited by a moderator:

sgarg

POLITICAL SITUATION IN UKRAINE. RATINGS OF PARTIES AND POLITICIANS

http://rb.com.ua/img/PR_ps_03_2015_engl.pdf

a. Today 48% of the residents of Ukraine think that current situation in the country develops in the wrong direction,
but 8% of Ukrainians hold opposite opinions. Also 44% of the questioned have no answer, that is, they haven't yet
made up their mind about current situation in Ukraine.
b. Today the overwhelming majority of Ukrainians (79%) consider political situation in the country to be fragile,
whereas only 5% of the respondents think that it is stable. Another 16% of the questioned haven't yet made up
their mind – is it stable or not.
c. Today the residents of Ukraine mainly trust in the following government and social institutions: church (62% trust/
24% don't trust), army (57% trust/ 34% don't trust), civic and voluntary organisations (57% trust/ 34% don't trust).
Furthermore, the respondents mainly don't trust in mass media (32% trust/ 58% don't trust). The overwhelming
majority of potential voters don't trust in political parties (81% don't trust, 8% trust).
d. Today a third of Ukrainians (33%) approve job performance of P. Poroshenko, the President of Ukraine, whereas
58% of the respondents disapprove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles