China Economy: News & Discussion

rockdog

Country flag
India will not have a food shortage problem.
India currently has serious food problem.

The latest State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World (SOFI) report published jointly by five UN organisations on July 6 yet again presents worrisome estimates of widespread and worsening food insecurity in India.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
India currently has serious food problem.

The latest State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World (SOFI) report published jointly by five UN organisations on July 6 yet again presents worrisome estimates of widespread and worsening food insecurity in India.

You come here and post deccan chronicle report and a UN hunger index as a evidence.
Go on sir, do surprise me more. Will you?

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
plz check the context.

Do you believe @srevster said there is no food problem as claimed?
@srvester lives in USA, but i live right here in India.
I see no such problem, there are two areas behind me colony which are basically declared as slums , their folks do odd jobs, work in factories , housemaids etc.
The government PDS system takes care of them, each one of them.
They are certainly not starving
You may read this, it's sunday

The Public distribution system (PDS) is an Indian food Security System established under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food, and Public Distribution.
PDS evolved as a system of management of scarcity through distribution of food grains at affordable prices.
PDS is operated under the joint responsibility of the Central and the State Governments.
The Central Government, through Food Corporation of India (FCI), has assumed the responsibility for procurement, storage, transportation and bulk allocation of food grains to the State Governments.
The operational responsibilities including allocation within the State, identification of eligible families, issue of Ration Cards and supervision of the functioning of Fair Price Shops (FPSs) etc., rest with the State Governments.
Under the PDS, presently the commodities namely wheat, rice, sugar and kerosene are being allocated to the States/UTs for distribution. Some States/UTs also distribute additional items of mass consumption through the PDS outlets such as pulses, edible oils, iodized salt, spices, etc.
Evolution of PDS in India

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
So you concur there is no food shortage
Ofcourse not sir, being a student of public administration I have read the situation of 70s and 80s.
The last famine of india was in 1967 , even poorer states like bihar, Uttampradesh (previously called as ulta pradesh and officially called as Uttarpradesh) , orrisa Or odisha Or orisa and chattishgarh and Rajasthan.
The bimaru region too have no food shortage

Blademaster

Ofcourse not sir, being a student of public administration I have read the situation of 70s and 80s.
The last famine of india was in 1967 , even poorer states like bihar, Uttampradesh (previously called as ulta pradesh and officially called as Uttarpradesh) , orrisa Or odisha Or orisa and chattishgarh and Rajasthan.
The bimaru region too have no food shortage
The last famine was caused by an ill advised change to the distribution system without considering the fallout and planning for remediation.

srevster

Country flag
@rockdog looks like it’s conclusive. @KurtisBrian

1) india has more farm land than China
2) There is no food shortage in India
3) the distribution of food is improving through new freight corridors and new highways
4) cold storage will also improve storage capacity.

it seems like India can easily absorb the new population without having a food shortage as @KurtisBrian wanted to imply.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
The last famine was caused by an ill advised change to the distribution system without considering the fallout and planning for remediation.
You forget war, 1965 war
We were still imoporting food grains which USA stopped after 1965 you see there was no green revolution in happening at that point of time

Vinash

Country flag
plz check the context.

Do you believe @srevster said there is no food problem as claimed?
You are confusing things.

India's food shortage issues are due to bad logistics, corruption and storage. Thanks to rapid digitalization and infra development, the issue is being fixed.

Indian land produces more than enough to feed 1.4 Billion people. Infact we are a net exporter of Agricultural produce.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
You are confusing things.

India's food shortage issues are due to bad logistics, corruption and storage. Thanks to rapid digitalization and infra development, the issue is being fixed.

Indian land produces more than enough to feed 1.4 Billion people. Infact we are a net exporter of Agricultural produce.
Where is shortage?

Vinash

Country flag
Where is shortage?
Up until very recently, there was enormous corruption at local "Ration" shops.

I saw it with my own eyes in our village. Whether a family gets the Government provided ration would depend on local Sarpanch who'd sell the grain alloted to poor people in the black market.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Up until very recently, there was enormous corruption at local "Ration" shops.

I saw it with my own eyes in our village. Whether a family gets the Government provided ration would depend on local Sarpanch who'd sell the grain alloted to poor people in the black market.
That's mismanagement not shortage

jai jaganath

Country flag
So you switched the topic, after i pointed your data is wrong?

Some Indian media doubted the ranking, but it still shows how bad the situation is.

India ranked 107th out of 121 assessed countries on the 2022 Global Hunger Index (GHI). With an overall score of 29.1 (see table below to understand the measurement), the level of hunger in India has been categorised as "serious".

Are you really going to have serious debate with me?

China male: 169cm
India male: 165cm

other source:

China male: 175cm
India male: 166cm

Everything u wrote is true but that ghi is most bogus and illogical chart
I mean most
They have not clarified the way of conducting survay and also its completely bogus on ground as govt is providing grains to 80cr people its just one scheme just imagine the food security here
I am not comparing to China but ghi is bogus and false

jai jaganath

Country flag
@srvester lives in USA, but i live right here in India.
I see no such problem, there are two areas behind me colony which are basically declared as slums , their folks do odd jobs, work in factories , housemaids etc.
The government PDS system takes care of them, each one of them.
They are certainly not starving
You may read this, it's sunday

The Public distribution system (PDS) is an Indian food Security System established under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food, and Public Distribution.
PDS evolved as a system of management of scarcity through distribution of food grains at affordable prices.
PDS is operated under the joint responsibility of the Central and the State Governments.
The Central Government, through Food Corporation of India (FCI), has assumed the responsibility for procurement, storage, transportation and bulk allocation of food grains to the State Governments.
The operational responsibilities including allocation within the State, identification of eligible families, issue of Ration Cards and supervision of the functioning of Fair Price Shops (FPSs) etc., rest with the State Governments.
Under the PDS, presently the commodities namely wheat, rice, sugar and kerosene are being allocated to the States/UTs for distribution. Some States/UTs also distribute additional items of mass consumption through the PDS outlets such as pulses, edible oils, iodized salt, spices, etc.
Evolution of PDS in India
Point is even that Indian origin American has no idea on ground and giving wrong data too in many instances
So we can't support him too
We can't even argue with Chinese if our member is providing false data

Global Defence

New threads

Articles